Oven cleaning STINKS!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK, I've ignored my oven until its REALLY embarrassingly dirty. I've got the self clean going and holy moly does it stink in here. I'm feeling a bit guilty about subjecting the dog and cats to the stench.

My rather odd question to you all is how often do you clean your ovens? Either the self clean way or the other way.

I agree! YUCK!! HORRID!!!

I do mine about 2 times a year... not as often as it needs it.

I put tin foil down on the floor of the oven and change it when it gets dirty.

I learned one thing after choking half to death on the smell, that if you clean your oven often you don't have to put up with that horrible odor. It's the months of built up grease and grime that smells so bad. I don't use my oven much anymore since I got a toaster oven but when I was using it often I would clean it every month. All you do is click on the timer, throw the lock and you're done. It only takes 10 seconds to do this, I don't know why I didn't do it more often.

Hmmm, guess I should make a point of cleaning it more often then. What do you think, every month or so?

And UB, you always make me feel better!

I don't have a self cleaning oven. If there is a spill, I usually clean it after the food is done and the oven is cooled down.

At least once a month.....and if it dirties in between....clean it that time.....don't let it sit and sit.....what's so hard about pushing the "clean" button?

Hmmm, guess I should make a point of cleaning it more often then. What do you think, every month or so?

And UB, you always make me feel better!

Can't answer tht question because I don't know how splattered your oven gets in a month's time. If it needs it do it. I just wouldn't let it go too long.

LC, thats a good way to do it. My memory sucks. I usually forget that a pie has spilled over or a roast has splattered until the next time I open the oven! I know...bad Alix!

LC, thats a good way to do it. My memory sucks. I usually forget that a pie has spilled over or a roast has splattered until the next time I open the oven! I know...bad Alix!

Once a month sounds like a good plan though...

it's just one of those things I never think of. I really don't use mine that often... I do most of my cooking on top of the stove. :)

I go through fits and starts. Sometimes its all oven, sometimes all stovetop. I'll try to make a point of doing it once a month, that way maybe it won't smell like I've burnt the snot out of everything while it cleans.

When I am prepping for a catering job, or specially a wedding cake, I always clean my oven first. But this last 6 months while I have been recovering from surgery I have not really paid much attention...until I wanted to start Christmas baking! What a mess. And yes, Alix, the self cleaning does stink. I wish I could use the regular cleaners for spot cleaning like LC but I am allergic to anything with a propellant and DH offers but never gets to it until it is baked right on.

:) You still need to scrape out the big gunky stuff first or your gonna get a lot more smoke. Another thing I do is put a large piece of foil on the bottom and change it out if something big spills on it.

I never think of the foil. Got to try that. And I DID scrape out the "gunk" which should give you some indication of how NASTY my oven is. :angel:

I don't do well with the propellent stuff either LP. I end up having to vacate and use my inhaler if I use some of that stuff.

pdswife...DEAL!

As infrequently as possible....which is how I usually end up making a smelly afternoon of it!!

Oh, and a quick tip-if you are thinking about cutting a fat hog by cleaning an aluminum cookie sheet with oven cleaner, I'm here to tell you that it's a bad idea!! Mine is now a drip pan....:LOL:

Every 3 months for me, and I usually plan a trip while the cleaner does its job. Then I come back when the fumes have calmed down.

I finally cleaned my last week after it too was embarrasingly dirty! The smell is awful!
It cleaned up well except for around the door that I cannot seem to scrub off, any hints / suggestions.
Also, my self cleaner cycle is 3 hours.....does it "need" to go this long or if you clean it on a monthly basis, can you cancel out the cycle after an hour or so? Has anyone done this. I think thats the one reason I 'delay' the cleaning due to the long process.

Back
Top Bottom