Oven Fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
VeraBlue's over fire story made me remember something that happened to my friends and me many years ago.

We were sleeping over my friends house and we decided to make popcorn on the stove. We put some oil in the pot and put the corn in and went to it. Well me and one of my buddies went downstairs to play ping pond while the other friend made the popcorn. Next thing we he is running downstairs yelling fire. We, of course, thought he was just joking. He was not. We get upstairs and there is a serious flame shooting straight up to the ceiling.

After a second of panic, I run to the freezer and get the baking soda. I was so proud of myself for remembering that you can use that to smoother a grease fire. I go to dump it on the flames and the whole thing comes out in one solid clump :huh: .

Well now what? That was the only thing I knew how to do. Of course now I would know to put a lid on the pot, but thinking back on it, that might have been difficult to do as the flames were so intense that it was hard to get that close.

So what did I end up doing??? I did what we were always taught NOT to do. i used water. I took the hose from the sink and blasted the flames. Thankfully they went right out. We were quite lucky that night.

In the kitchen, there are good flames and there are bad flames. That was a bad flame.

I've had a fire in the oven and on the stovetop and they are not fun.

I had a similar oil fire when I was in college and staying at a friend's house. We ended up putting out the fire by laying a wet towel across the top of the pot.

Burning Grease and Water - There go the eyebrows!

GB you were extremely lucky! As a volunteer firefighter and fire service instructor I don't know how many grease fires I helped put out with a couple of 1.5 inch hose lines and a quarter million dollar rig. Thankfully I got out of that business without any serious injuries.

I used to teach basic firefighting with fire extinguishers and one of the things I demonstrated was a pan full of grease on fire and what happens when you hit it with water. It's impressive as h#$# outside and inside it is downright frightening.:ohmy:

Baking soda is always a good bet but 10 to 20 pounds of ABC rated extinguisher in the kitchen is a much better choice. Cook safe. Trust me when I tell you, you don't want the local fire department in your kitchen at dinner time. Remember it's their dinner time too.:dry:

I now keep an ABC extinguisher in both of my kitchens in plain view at all times. Yes my wife would like to have it out of sight under the cabinets, but that is one thing I will not bend on. It might not look all that great, but if someone is using my kitchen and something happens they will at least know where the extiguisher is without having to ask.

the addition of More oil will also put some fires out also, I say some because if the pan is already near full it`s not going to work and shouldn`t even be tried.
but if we remember our Fire Triangle (as taught in schools), a fire needs 3 things to "Survive".
1) Heat
2) Fuel
3) Oxygen

the removal of Anyone of these 3 and the fire dies.
CO2 or Powder extinguishes are the best for kitchens, and a Fire blanket.
although I`m Guilty of having non of these in my kitchen either, the only extinguisher is upstairs outside our bedroom door.

it`s a good Reminder though GB, Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom