Over 60 Percent of the Restaurants on ‘Kitchen Nightmares’ Are Now Closed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The problem with these type of shows is that they show mainly that they are trying to change how people behave. Changing behavior doesn't happen overnight. Isn't it amazing how the owner's savior comes in and saves the day for them. :angel:

I never seen the show, but is it not a common knowledge that 90% of newly opened restaurants will close with in first year or something like this? Also, I knew this guy, his parents have had restaurant businesses for some 40-50 years. He told me that they were always very successful but could not keep the same restaurant for more than 3 years. They would close ever 2-3-4 years depending on profitability, remodel and open new restaurant in the same location, but different menu, different staff. It went on for years till they finally sold up and coming place for a good profit and retired. That place by the way went under after 2 years.

I've seen a bunch of episodes and found it thoroughly enjoyable, in an "omg, can you belief that" sort of way. I'm actually surprised that 40 percent of the restaurants managed to survive -. Most were saddled with enormous debt, bad reputations and deeply ingrained cultures of mediocrity. All are difficult to change....

Kudos to Gordon Ramsey for some decent and recreational restaurant watching via our cozy couches. Hopefully he had a small hand in raising customer awareness of bad industry practices. Even inexpensive dining out should be safe experience for diners.

Last edited:
I'm surprised at the number too. I would have expected the number surviving to be a lot lower considering how bad shape most of them are in. I watch both the US and British versions (prefer the British version as GR is not as loud and the owners not as rude) and Bar Rescue and Restaurant Impossible.

I've seen a bunch of episodes and found it thoroughly enjoyable, in an "omg, can you belief that" sort of way. I'm actually surprised that 40 percent of the restaurants managed to survive -. Most were saddled with enormous debt, bad reputations and deeply ingrained cultures of mediocrity. All are difficult to change....

Kudos to Gordon Ramsey for some decent and recreational restaurant watching via our cozy couches. Hopefully he had a small hand in raising customer awareness of bad industry practices. Even inexpensive dining out should be safe experience for diners.

I know that these shows are edited for maximum drama (especially the US versions), but it is staggering the level of denial that these owners are in.

+1 :)

I know that these shows are edited for maximum drama (especially the US versions), but it is staggering the level of denial that these owners are in.

It really is.

Robert Irvine: "What did you do before you bought the restaurant?"

Owner: "I was an auto mechanic."

Robert Irvine: "So no restaurant experience. Why did you decide to run a restaurant?"

Owner: "Everyone loves my smoked barbecue."

I love it when GR asked them to rate their food and they give it an 8 or 9 out of 10. They are loosing 10's or 100's of thousands of dollars a month...but is isn't the food...their food is the best. :ermm:

I would really find it funny if the one place he walked away from, survives.;)

Back
Top Bottom