"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #31
Head Chef

Phaedra welcome to our forum, where you live will have no impact on anybody in this forum, we are a big happy family and we would love your imput... Feel free to ask any questions if you don't understand recipes, and please send some off your own from over the rainbow... Shabbot Shalom... MIMI

Old 08-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #32
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Come up to Edmonton to shop and we'll hook up for a meal somewhere if you like.
I'll be sure to let you know when we start out on our vacation.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:33 AM   #33
Master Chef

Phaedra, we have several members from around the world, and we love the extra "zing" that a different country's take on things adds to our cooking, or even other matters. Every once in awhile one of us will help clarify when going from English English to American English if someone gets confused (i.e., English using the French aubergines and courgettes when Americans say eggplant and zuchini, which according to this spell check I can't spell anyway) or helping out with metric. All in good nature.

If I may make a suggestion, having some experience with independently living people who have handicaps, you could start a thread about how you manage cooking from a chair. Hints, helps. Those of us who have friends or are in that situation ourselves would love to hear how you do it and what little things you do to make it easier.

Welcome!
Old 08-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #34
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
If I may make a suggestion, having some experience with independently living people who have handicaps, you could start a thread about how you manage cooking from a chair. Hints, helps. Those of us who have friends or are in that situation ourselves would love to hear how you do it and what little things you do to make it easier.

Welcome!
Thank you for your welcome, although I prefer the description "disabled" to "handicapped" - but it doesn't really matter in the scheme of things, does it! I've been otherwise occupied during the last couple of days, hence not being around much, mainly caused by having to have a day out to collect one new pair of bifocal specs - the other frames I chose were nbg so I chose another pair, that were new in since I chose the first lot.

And a day out for me is a bit of a faff to say the least, but I managed to go downtown and do a fair amount of shopping, got a taxi and dropped the stuff off at home, then straight to the Shopping Centre to collect my specs at the opticians, and then have a trundle round the huge supermarket.

I go with my little foldable scooter which fits in the boot - sorry, trunk, of the taxi. And I have to arrange for my little dog to be collected and taken to her dog "Pension" for the dayl

But it's exhausting, and my leg braces really hurt, especially in the heat, so it usually takes me a couple of days to get over such an outing. I don't wear the horrid things at home as I have an electric wheelchair.

Regarding prepping and cooking from a chair - sure there are certain things I can't do, but every kitchen appliance/gadget that I can find that helps me, enables me to manage. I'm so new on this Forum that I haven't as yet had a chance to read much, so whatever I have to offer in respect to advice for someone like myself, could possibly have already been said.

Suffice it to say that I cook everything from scratch, ie no ready meals to just stick in the microwave to heat up. I do use my microwave quite a lot, but it's mainly for blanching vegetables for freezing, or just plain steaming vegetables. Oh and fish is so easy to cook in it as well.

I don't have a "proper" stove any more. Just a 36 litre "toaster oven", and a three burner gas hob, which I will be changing to a two burner one shortly, as I don't need three burners and I do need the extra space a smaller one will give me.

Crockpots/slow cookers are brilliant for someone like my - and even though I live by myself I have three of them, one is 3.5 litre capacity and the other two 6.5 litre. Sorry but I don't know the American equivalent. Mainly for bulk cooking, when it's chuck it all in, switch on, and then freeze in portions when done.

I also have electric frying pans/skillets, which are thermostatically controlled, so can be left without constant checking, stirring etc.

And so on and so forth.

Basically it's anything and everything that makes my life easier, and having to accept that even though there are many things I'm no longer able to do, there's always something else that can go on the menu!

Phaedra