Pandemic or any Nat'l Emergency - how will you prepare?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
buckytom said:
part of my prepared "survival" packs and gear include: a water purifier pump and canteens; a backpackers stove and fuel bottle, with enough spare fuel to last a long time; a small backpacker's and full first aid kits; water proof matches and a flint; thermal blankets; candles and a lantern; 2 small radios including a hand cranked one; several flash lights; extra batteries; a pack saw and a full axe; a survival knife (think rambo); compasses; a 4 person mess kit with utensils; lots o' fishing gear; a large bottle of frank's red hot; several sleeping bags and backpackers air matresses; a few bundles of different sized ropes and bungee cords; a sewing kit; a couple of bandanas (for first aid, washcloth, balaclava/cravat); some garbage bags, a roll of aluminum foil, and a canoe in the backyard.
all of this can be loaded up in the truck and ready to go in about a half hour.

In all of this, I can't believe that a firearm and plenty of ammo wasn't included.

In the very slight event of a true emergency there will be those who will try and take what is yours, as well as the possibility that you might have to hunt for your food. A handgun really isn't the way to go except for close-quarters defense, as it's harder to hunt with one. We keep a rifle and a couple of shotguns, with appropriate ammo, on hand.

Along with that, if the electricity is out you will not be able to get gas. A siphon, or at least a siphon tube, would be a good thing, as well as some kind of container in which to put the gas. A 5-gallon container of gas, stored in your garage, with some Sta-Bil in it would work too. Just run it in the lawnmower every spring and refill asap so you always have it on hand. My 3-burner dual fuel Coleman stove runs off of Coleman fuel or gasoline, so if I run out of Coleman fuel (I keep 2 gallons on hand), I can use the gasoline.

i've often thought about getting a shotgun, but i know the odds are that it would be my a$$ with a nice pattern of shot in it late one night, so i've not gotten one. i can hunt well enough with traps and a bow. if things get really hairy, i know of a great spot in the mountains not too far from where i live that is secluded, defenseable on all sides, has a water supply, lots of game, fish, and wild edibles (seasonally).
oh, and i do have coupla cans of stabilized gas in the shed. the siphon tube is a good idea. thanks phinz.

Normally, I only spend a day or two worrying about the lastest scare on the news, but this one kind of hits home as my husband is a big-time duck and goose hunter and also does bird taxidermy out of our home. From what I've read so far, none of the human cases have been contracted from migratory birds, but they are the ones who are spreading it to the domestic birds throughout the different countries and they in turn are the ones that have spread it to humans. Since Hubby is so up-close with wild ducks and geese, I am a little on edge about this particular virus.
I guess all you can do is be cautious, and let fate deal it's hand. I have, after reading this thread, started saving our empty water bottles, juice and milk jugs to fill with water if it looks like a quarentine is in the immediate future and I have quite a grocery stockpile at all times, so not too worried about food. Thanks!

buckytom said:
part of my prepared "survival" packs and gear include: a water purifier pump and canteens; a backpackers stove and fuel bottle, with enough spare fuel to last a long time; a small backpacker's and full first aid kits; water proof matches and a flint; thermal blankets; candles and a lantern; 2 small radios including a hand cranked one; several flash lights; extra batteries; a pack saw and a full axe; a survival knife (think rambo); compasses; a 4 person mess kit with utensils; lots o' fishing gear; a large bottle of frank's red hot; several sleeping bags and backpackers air matresses; a few bundles of different sized ropes and bungee cords; a sewing kit; a couple of bandanas (for first aid, washcloth, balaclava/cravat); some garbage bags, a roll of aluminum foil, and a canoe in the backyard.
all of this can be loaded up in the truck and ready to go in about a half hour.

Methinks BT was a boyscout.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Actually, it's:

On my honor
I will do my best
to do my duty
to God and my country
and to obey the Scout Law
to help other people at all times
and to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight

A Scout is:

Trustworthy
Loyal
Helpful
Friendly
Courteous
Kind
Obedient
Cheerful
Thrifty
Brave
Clean
and Reverent

Do a good turn daily.

Be Prepared.

Yeah. I was a Scout. :LOL:

lol, ok, so i wasn't doing "my best". it's been almost 30 years since i recited that.

check out the scout promise from other nations. my favourite is the czech republic's. (the ones with king and queen in them kinda bother me tho...)

National Scout organization promises

Australia

On my honour
I promise that I will do my best
To do my duty to my God, and
To the Queen of Australia
To help other people, and
To live by the Scout Law

Austria

I promise on my duty
To do my best
To serve God and my country
To help my fellow people
And to live according to the Scout/Guide Law.

Brazil

I promise, on my honour
To make the best I can do my duty to
My God and my country,
Help the other in any opportunity,
And, live by the Scout Law.

Canada

On my honour,
I promise that I will do my best,
To do my Duty to God and the Queen,
To help other people at all times,
And to carry out the spirit of the Scout Law

Chile

I promise on my honour
To do all that I can to do my duty to God and my country,
To help others at all times
And to obey the Scout Law

Czech Republic

On my honor I promise that I will do my best,
to serve the highest Truth and Love faithfully at all times,
to fulfill my own duties and to observe the Scout/Guide laws,
to be prepared to help my country and my neighbors with all my soul and body.
(May God help me so.)
  • The reference to God is optional in the Czech Republic. See introduction above for explanation.[4]
Finland

I will love my God and my neighbour,
my native country and mankind
by fulfilling the Guide and Scout ideals in my life.

Germany

Due to the huge number of different Scout associations in Germany, there is no common Scout Promise in Germany. For details on the individual promises, see the entries in Category:Scouting in Germany.

Greece

On my honour, I promise
To do my duty to God and the country,
To help every person at all times,
And, to obey the Scout Law.

Hong Kong

On my honour,I promise that I will do my best
to do my duty to God and to my Country
to help other people
and to keep the Scout Law

Italy

With God's help, I promise on my honour to do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
To help others in every circumstance
And to observe the Scout Law.

Japan

I over an honor, swear the following article-three practice.
1. With a god (Buddha) and a state at serve and for truly defend it.
2. Always, I help other people.
3. I make a body strong, are healthy for a mind, and uphold virtue.

Netherlands

I promise to do my best (with the help of God) to be a good Scout,
to help everybody whenever I can
and to follow the Scout Law.
You can count on me.
  • The reference to God is optional in the Netherlands. See introduction above for explanation.[5]
Norway

I promise to do my best to serve God,
Help others and live according to the Scout Law

Singapore

On My honour, I promise that I will do my best;
To do my duty to God, and to the Republic of Singapore,
To help other people;
And to keep the Scout Law.

South Africa

On My honour, I promise that I will do my best;
To do my duty to God, and my Country,
To help other people at all times;
To obey the Scout Law.

Sweden

On my honour I promise that I will do my best,
to do my duty to God and my country,
and to obey the Scout Law.

Switzerland

With the help of God, with your help and happily I Promise to do my best:
- To study in details the values of our Scout Law
- To search or the meaning fo my life
- To be involved in the community where I live

Taiwan (Republic of China)

I wish to join Boy Scouts of China, and on my honor,
I promise that I will obey the Scout Law,
and all my life do my best.
To do my duty to God, be friendly to the people and
become a rightness Chinese citizen.
To help others and serve the public at all times.
To strive to make myself rich in knowledge, perfect
in character, and healthy in physical constitution.

Turkey

On my honour, I will promise,
To do duties to God and my country,
To help others at all time
To obey the scouting laws,
To be physically strong, mentally awake and morally strong.

United Kingdom

On my honour, I promise that I will do my best,
To do my duty to God and to the Queen,
To help other people,
  • Variations to the wording are allowed to take into account the different religious obligations of its Members according to Rule 1.1:[6]
United States of America

On my honor, I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
And to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.

The Outlander Promise

On my honour, I promise that I will do my best,
To render service to my country;
To help other people,
  • This alternative oath was written early in the Scout Movement for Scouts who could not, for reasons of conscience, recognize a duty to a King, for individuals or members of religions that do not worship a deity, and for members of orthodox religions that do not use the name of God in secular settings. This oath is no longer used by any WOSM member National Scout Organization.
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_Promise"

phinz said:
Actually, it's:

On my honor
I will do my best
to do my duty
to God and my country
and to obey the Scout Law
and to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight

A Scout is:

Trustworthy
Loyal
Helpful
Friendly
Courteous
Kind
Obedient
Cheerful
Thrifty
Brave
Clean
and Reverent

Do a good turn daily.

Be Prepared.

Yeah. I was a Scout. :LOL:

Me too. It's where I learned a bunch about survival in the North. We had a great program back in the 1960's and early 70's. I did a lot of camping, especially in the fall, when things were a bit colder. We also learned to make snow shelters that would keep you warm in the coldest weather. It is a valuable organization. It's too bad that video games have replaced real-life training and experience, IMHO.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I have added Pandemic or any Nat'l Emergencies to the Search and Rescue section ~ DON'T PANIC of The Galactic Hitchhiker Resource.
The Galactic Hitchhiker Resource was inspired by the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams. It provides an infrormation resource to help you survive your journeys through time and space and a guide to hoopy cookies and other neat stuff to the Galactic Olympics and beyond ~ Galactic Hitchhiker Resource ~=O

http://community.webtv.net/Timeloyd/GALACTICHITCHHIKER

As you can make a fist and lign it up so the sun rests on it and counting fists till horizon you see the length of time till sunset this website wil provide all kinds of useful infromation to help survive. Well if it is not there let me know.
The first part is The Galactic Hitchhiker Resourse with all kinds of useful and survival infromation and is a great Galactic Resource.
From the Olympic Rings on is The Galactic Olympics entertainment part with the Earth Olympics down under with International Search Engines.
REMEMBER WHERE YOUR TOWEL IS

Back
Top Bottom