"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-15-2006, 08:14 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Pandemic or any Nat'l Emergency - how will you prepare?

Serious subject, all. A congressman today suggested stockpiling canned tuna and powdered milk, tho why he chose those 2, I don't know.

Having lived in a post-hurricaine zone and also in close proximity to NYC after 9/11, we think a lot about emergency preparedness. I thought this would be a good place to combine thoughts on if/how we should prepare our homes and pantries in the event of a bird flu pandemic, or any other disaster situation.

Some things to think about right off the bat are food, water, shelter, security in our homes. How is your pantry stocked - right now - if you were to lose access to the grocery store? What about a water supply? Power supply?

I just ran across the site below, which gave me some 'food for thought' in pantry preparedness:

http://www.planforflu.com/survival_grocery_list

I think there are some good suggestions on the site in general, and a few items in the pantry I'm not sure I would have thought of on my own!

I think everyone should also be aware of the scams that are already out there, or will be soon, offering remedies, 'vaccines', etc. that are obviously of no benefit, or they would be in world-wide use.

Again, a serious subject, but one that needs to be addressed. I'm looking forward to some lively debate and great ideas from all! (and most of all, hope that nothing comes of the bird flu or any disaster!)

Old 03-15-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Our pantry is always full... and we have another collection of canned food and water down under the house in the storage area. Paul has a ton of batteries and other do-dads, just in case too.

Old 03-15-2006, 08:56 PM   #3
Sous Chef

WOW! What a freaky co-incidence. I'm working on a disaster preparedness flyer for our apartment complex and came here to see if we have anyone who speaks Spanish to help me write up the Spanish version! LOL!

I used to be a volunteer with our local Office of Emergency Services and served as a Disaster Co-ordinator (1992-2000... we came under FEMA in 1998) to this region of our church and education was always as huge chunk of our activities.

I've got my disaster kit packed, complete with 3 day's supply of MRE's. I pray I never have to use it.

God Bless
Raven

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:17 AM   #4
Everymom

I'm a stockpiler so I usually have lots of stuff on hand. I think things are a bit different in Canada (or at least here in the West though) we don't have anyone recommending we prepare for a pandemic quite yet. I pray that doesn't ever happen. I think that stocking things like canned ham, tuna and some meats is a good call. I would also stock things like canned peaches, creamed corn so that the veggie/fruit area is also covered a bit. We have a wood burning fireplace and TONS of wood, so if we ever lost power/heat we would be OK there. I'm not sure what else I would put in if I thought we were going to be isolated. Maybe a bunch of flour and other baking staples?
Old 03-16-2006, 09:49 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I'm not a stockpiler; I buy and use fresh whenever I can. Also, I'm not cooking for a family of 4 or more every day, so using all that dried and canned stuff isn't going to happen quickly. Furthermore, I am likely not going to have power if indeed a disaster comes. Certainly some canned soups and chili, some fish etc, but not huge amounts. However, a case of MREs from the local surplus store might not be a bad investment for a single guy or couple. At least one wouldn't starve while trying to get to safety etc.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:45 AM   #6
Master Chef

I hoard food. I think it's from all those years of scraping and scrimping when my kids were small. Now that I can afford it, I keep well stocked so we won't run out.
The only thing I don't have a lot of is bottled water. HB says we have 60 gallons in the hot water heater we can drain off.
That would be a 30 day supply of drinking water for the two of us.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:54 AM   #7
Executive Chef

We're going to get some water purifying tablets. One thing we do around the start of hurricane season is to wash out and save any 2-liter soda/juice bottles. When we hear of a storm possibly coming our way, we just fill up the bottles. Once the danger is past, they get dumped on the garden, and bottles saved to use again.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:18 AM   #8
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
It's tough to stock when space is limited. We still rent, and there's not a ton of space to stock stuff. Now that I think about it, though, the garage is a disaster from when we moved in. Once we get some decent weather, I'll be in there going through stuff and organizing. Then we'd have some room in containers to put stuff. We usually always have CNS from Campbell's on hand with crackers.

Worst case scenario, I'll go hunt with what I have for firearms.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:40 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
Worst case scenario, I'll go hunt with what I have for firearms.
Every time HB sees me feeding the squirrels, he teases me about fattening them up for a back-up food supply.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:20 PM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
Every time HB sees me feeding the squirrels, he teases me about fattening them up for a back-up food supply.
We got a bird feeder out on the deck . . . . . . . . . .