Pandora Internet radio Finds Music You Like... GENETICALLY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrillingFool

Head Chef
www.pandora.com

They spent years codifying music by many different "genes"...
rhythm, tonality, beat, style, singing aspects, genre and dozens more.

You input a song, artist, or genre, and it makes a playlist based on the
"genes" of the choice you started with.

So if you input, for example, Beethoven's 5th Symphony, you get to
listen to similar music!

A fascinating and fun way to discover music and artists you might otherwise
never hear.

If you listen to music while you compute, it might be worth a peek. And it is free, always a plus, LOL

Been using this for a while too. If you don't touch it for a long time (I think like 4 hours) it might ask you if you're still there! One of the best apps out there! I use it on my iPod, my husband has it on his iPhone, and of course, it's on our computers. What geeks we are!

"Dear Pandora Visitor,
We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S. "

Charming! :mad:

I have been using Pandora for a few years now and love it. I have found out about a number of artists I never would have know about otherwise. I have really found some great great stuff because of that site.

I never heard of the site. I put in The Beatles, it played one song, then went on to a Stones song..... I got a message about the genomes matching and similar instruments used, or some nonsense, but they sure didn't sound like similar music types to me. I played around with it for a little while seeing if I could get it to play tunes just from one artist, but didn't have any luck. Do you know if there's a way to do that?

Nope pacanis, that's the whole point of the site.
It chooses SIMILAR music to what you input.
Won't play just one artist.

That stinks that it won't work outside the US.

a friend was telling me about this yesterday says its all he listens too anymore... ill have to check it out... I wonder my music taste is very varied and leans towards the indie Ill see if it can figure me out

I never heard of the site. I put in The Beatles, it played one song, then went on to a Stones song..... I got a message about the genomes matching and similar instruments used, or some nonsense, but they sure didn't sound like similar music types to me. I played around with it for a little while seeing if I could get it to play tunes just from one artist, but didn't have any luck. Do you know if there's a way to do that?
Like GF said, it is not designed to do that. It will learn from you though. Each time a song comes on you can say if you like or dislike the song. Based on what you tell it the site will then be able to better narrow in on what you enjoy. It actually works very well.

I wonder my music taste is very varied and leans towards the indie Ill see if it can figure me out
I bet it will figure you out just fine. My musical tastes are extremely varied. It actually works better if your tastes are varied because it has a better chance of hitting on something you will like as opposed to if you just like one type of music.

My tastes range from jam bands (Phish, Grateful Dead, etc.) to Jazz (classics and well as acid and many other forms) to classical to show tunes to adult contemporary to hard rock to blue grass to country to Indy to alternative to just about anything else you can imagine. I have found things in each of these genres that I had not previously known and now can enjoy.

I'll take this opportunity to plug the online music company my hubby works for. www.lala.com - I think lala has some deal where you can download or listen to songs for ten cents.
My husband runs www.woxy.com, a subsidiary of la la.

:)

I bet it will figure you out just fine. My musical tastes are extremely varied. It actually works better if your tastes are varied because it has a better chance of hitting on something you will like as opposed to if you just like one type of music.

ok I have been obsessed with this all day... overall it is really cool I fed it a good variety of punk, ska, indie rock, electronic rock etc and it has been doing a pretty good job of selecting music and has pulled up alot of things I like... it seems to be pushing two bands I HATE on me (The Strokes and The Killers) I need to train it to avoid them... categorically they fit but I just cant stand them and it keeps putting The Strokes as a similar artists (To Spoon and MUSE for example which IMHO are far out of thier league and not similar) I have to wonder if there is some sort of payola with certain bands.. otherwise really neat... helped me not get bored with my afternoon of home improvement.

The international thing sucks... There were a couple of podcasts from the BBC that looked great that I could not get

I'm another Pandora junkie, paying the $36 per year to have the extended play time (more than 5 hours instead of about 1 hour).

I love to shuffle my stations so I get a great mix of jazz, vocal and classical.

I have my computer hard wired to two stereo systems to take advantage of the music it offers.

Shelly

I'm another Pandora junkie, paying the $36 per year to have the extended play time (more than 5 hours instead of about 1 hour).
I have no idea what you mean by this. I have never paid a penny and have often had Pandora running for 8 hours a day, non-stop, without any problems.

Pandora will continue to play as long as there is activity on the computer. I spend little time with my computer but have it running to listen to the music. So it usually is in screen saver mode.

Before I subscribed, the music would stop after about an hour and a button "Are you still listening?" would appear and have to be clicked to continue the music. Or any computer action would start the time period once again.

I contacted their tech support about the subscription and the time outs. They replied, " It's at least 5 hours. i,e. interact with Pandora somehow at least once in 5 hours and the timer resets. For non-subscribers the timeout is 1 hour."

I have no problem with supporting Pandora with a $3/month contribution. If you can get 8 hours of continuous music with or without any interaction, that's great.

Shelly

Oh OK that makes sense. When I have it going to 8 hours it is on my work computer which has constant activity on it.

I agree, $3 a month is well worth the price!

Back
Top Bottom