"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
Head Chef

Paper & plastic vs Real dishes & silverware on Thanksgiving. Any preferences ??

I was speaking to one of my coworkers about Thanksgiving, and she seemed very upset that her sister, who hosted Thanksgiving, used paper and plastic. She feels on a holiday like this real dishes and silverware should be used.

How does everyone else feel ??

Personally, I dont care about the plates all that much, but i hate using the plastic spoons and forks. To me, the settings dont have to be all that fancy, just functional.

larry

Old 11-28-2008, 04:39 PM   #2
Head Chef

Not to mention the sister had 30 guests, and didnt have enough plates and silverware to go around.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I don't mind them, but I prefer real. Just because eating a meal like that off of them isn't much fun.
We had our first large Thanksgiving at our house last year, about 20 people. DH made me go buy extra plates just in case so we didn't have to stick anyone with paper.
Thank goodness for $3 Walmart Corelle plates!!
Old 11-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Personally I prefer to eat off real plates.

It really does not matter though depends on the type of event.

I would find it strange to have a formal sit-down dinner with paper plates but if you are doing things casual it makes life easier.

In my family we start out with a beautifully set table... linen, china, crystal, sterling, cut flowers candles etc.... this looks great until we actually sit down... then the mystique is over its chaos... by desert we are down to paper plates and assorted mugs because nobody could bother to set up the good stuff at that point.

thats the maternal side....

my dad's family "Fancy" means you get those wicker baskets to hold your paper plate while you sit on the couch.... he tried for along time to "reform" them and finally gave up which was a good idea.

just be true to the nature of your party and anybody should be happy.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:58 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Where Thanksgiving is a special occasion centered on the dinner table, I would not use paper/plastic. If I didn't have enough place settings, I'd rent more.

Some circumstances call for disposeables. Cookouts and some buffets, for example.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:02 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
If I'm hosting I use REAL... but if someone is hosting I have no problem using what ever they want after all..they have to do all the clean up so, it's up to them.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:13 PM   #7
Master Chef

We had about thirty people last night and my wife used 4 & 10 inch paper plates, clear plastic cups for wine and beverages, and silver colored plastic forks and knives. She set up a long table in our living room. I had no idea we were having this many people over for Thanksgiving upon my return home from work yesterday.
Anyway, I was so glad for all the paper and plastic since I had a bit to drink last night and only had minimal clean up do this morning while hung over.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:15 PM   #8
Master Chef

Nope, our family is too big and too many little people, we use plastic and styrofoam!! LOL
Old 11-28-2008, 05:32 PM   #9
Cook

When we were fixing meals for 36+ people we used extra large styro heavy duty plates but regular silverwear. The reason for this was because no one would help with the cleanup. We spent two days cooking and all of my siblings and their familys would eat the food and pack up the kids so they could go to the other inlaw's houses for another meal. I kid you not, they would put coats on the kids at the dinner table and out the door they would go.No thanks or offers to help.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:37 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I often use disposable stuff for big events because it does cut down on the clear up. The gathering is for relationshiips and family and not necessarily about the food and the presentation. If several people are stuck in the kitchen washing up - it is much harder for them to feel part of the event.