Paper & plastic vs Real dishes & silverware on Thanksgiving. Any preferences ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Paper & plastic vs Real dishes & silverware on Thanksgiving. Any preferences ??

I was speaking to one of my coworkers about Thanksgiving, and she seemed very upset that her sister, who hosted Thanksgiving, used paper and plastic. She feels on a holiday like this real dishes and silverware should be used.

How does everyone else feel ??

Personally, I dont care about the plates all that much, but i hate using the plastic spoons and forks. To me, the settings dont have to be all that fancy, just functional.

larry

I don't mind them, but I prefer real. Just because eating a meal like that off of them isn't much fun.
We had our first large Thanksgiving at our house last year, about 20 people. DH made me go buy extra plates just in case so we didn't have to stick anyone with paper.
Thank goodness for $3 Walmart Corelle plates!!

Personally I prefer to eat off real plates.

It really does not matter though depends on the type of event.

I would find it strange to have a formal sit-down dinner with paper plates but if you are doing things casual it makes life easier.

In my family we start out with a beautifully set table... linen, china, crystal, sterling, cut flowers candles etc.... this looks great until we actually sit down... then the mystique is over its chaos... by desert we are down to paper plates and assorted mugs because nobody could bother to set up the good stuff at that point.

thats the maternal side....

my dad's family "Fancy" means you get those wicker baskets to hold your paper plate while you sit on the couch.... he tried for along time to "reform" them and finally gave up which was a good idea.

just be true to the nature of your party and anybody should be happy.

Where Thanksgiving is a special occasion centered on the dinner table, I would not use paper/plastic. If I didn't have enough place settings, I'd rent more.

Some circumstances call for disposeables. Cookouts and some buffets, for example.

If I'm hosting I use REAL... but if someone is hosting I have no problem using what ever they want after all..they have to do all the clean up so, it's up to them.

We had about thirty people last night and my wife used 4 & 10 inch paper plates, clear plastic cups for wine and beverages, and silver colored plastic forks and knives. She set up a long table in our living room. I had no idea we were having this many people over for Thanksgiving upon my return home from work yesterday.
Anyway, I was so glad for all the paper and plastic since I had a bit to drink last night and only had minimal clean up do this morning while hung over.

When we were fixing meals for 36+ people we used extra large styro heavy duty plates but regular silverwear. The reason for this was because no one would help with the cleanup. We spent two days cooking and all of my siblings and their familys would eat the food and pack up the kids so they could go to the other inlaw's houses for another meal. I kid you not, they would put coats on the kids at the dinner table and out the door they would go.No thanks or offers to help.

I often use disposable stuff for big events because it does cut down on the clear up. The gathering is for relationshiips and family and not necessarily about the food and the presentation. If several people are stuck in the kitchen washing up - it is much harder for them to feel part of the event.

I use real dishes/silverware. Plastic and paper generates waste so I tend to avoid it. And I think plastic ware is generally useless. I rarely ever cook for more than 5 people anymore, so I usually don't worry about the convenience of disposable vs real. So it is an easy choice for me.

I prefer real, but have no problem with paper/plastic if that is what my host/hostess serves my food on. They go through so much work to prepare such a large meal that if they do not want to have to deal with dishes after then I can completely understand that. We actually ate on the fine china last night so that was kind of nice, but my food would have tasted just as good off paper.

When we were fixing meals for 36+ people we used extra large styro heavy duty plates but regular silverwear. The reason for this was because no one would help with the cleanup. We spent two days cooking and all of my siblings and their familys would eat the food and pack up the kids so they could go to the other inlaw's houses for another meal. I kid you not, they would put coats on the kids at the dinner table and out the door they would go.No thanks or offers to help.

sounds like my group. so yesterday we went to marie callanders, they had already gone to in laws. but they spent the dinner planning a bowling party after. i don't think they get the true meaning of thanksgiving. do you? i have always used reg. dishes for main meal. and cute paper ones themed to thanksgiving for dessert. regular silverware and glasses though. no one has ever offered to help with clean up. so i was stuck with all the cooking, then all the mess. hence marie callanders. which by the way , was pretty much just awful. :rolleyes:

If someone is feeding me, I don't care what they serve it on as long as it is clean. I do prefer regular plates and flatware, but if the plates and plasticware are sturdy, they would be fine.

I have never had many people over for Thanksgiving dinner, but I used regular plates (I don't have fine china--I use Corelle) and flatware. Plates aren't that big a deal to wash, and I'm so cheap I would probably end up washing the plasticware anyway! LOL

If I were feeding a very large crowd, I would probably buy very good quality paper plates and very sturdy plasticware. None of my friends and family would care. This problem has never come up however. I don't have a lot of friends (and most of them had Thanksgiving with their families), and my family (which is small) is in California.

:)Barbara

I prefer using real plates and flatware, because they're more sturdy, and I would have no problem borrowing more if I needed more; when my brother and his then-girlfriend had Thanksgiving at their place several years ago, I packed up a tote of dishes, flatware, serving dishes and utensils, and tablecloths, and took them along, because I had them and they didn't :) But at someone else's house, I wouldn't worry about it.

I have a set of 12 Christmas dishes I've used at Thanksgiving before (they're glass with a Christmas tree molded into them, so you can't really tell they're not "Thanksgiving" dishes) and I don't mind mixing those with my everyday dishes so I'll have enough. But I've never had more than 14 for dinner at my house.

I also have a set of 12 small glass buffet dishes I use for cocktail parties (I got them at a Goodwill store for $1 apiece) and a couple dozen mismatched wine glasses I got at a thrift store for about 50 cents each.

personally, I dislike eating and drinking from paper or plastic, not to mention the "green issue". I have a box in the basement of $1 store "china" etc for such occasions as a new year's party.

If I were having the extended family over I'd call em up and say please bring dishes etc.

personally, I dislike eating and drinking from paper or plastic, not to mention the "green issue". I have a box in the basement of $1 store "china" etc for such occasions as a new year's party.

If I were having the extended family over I'd call em up and say please bring dishes etc.

I was thinking about that too if I ever had more to feed. It rarely happens for me.

If eating at someone else house, I will not complain. But I do tend to talk 'green' to people when the opportunity arises.

Back
Top Bottom