"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 02-15-2008, 08:08 AM   #31
Sous Chef
Plastic bag below 5 micron thick is banned here, so shopkeepers give us paper bags and I have a large jute bag, I put those paper bags in the jute bag.

radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:31 AM   #32
Master Chef
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
Why wouldn't 'thousands of tons' do what one can do? It's the same product. If one will break down and decompose, so will 'thousands of tons'. We learned that in third grade science. If a tree falls in the woods, just leave it there. Eventually, it will become part of the soil. Paper will do the same thing, even 'thousands of tons'.

Chances are, long before that tree becomes part of the soil the fire will burn it. laone with thousands of more acres. Because that dried out tree is just waiting for a spark. Third grade mentality doesn't work in reality.

You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:41 AM   #33
Executive Chef
Paper for me. Now, when I think about it, in the markets I shop at ie. Trader Joe's, Von's, Albertsons, I buy one of their canvas ones for .99 cents. When I have enough in my arsenal, I'll no longer accept plastic. Now let's talk about all those disposable diapers...
...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:10 PM   #34
Assistant Cook
I prefer to bring my own reusable tote bags. They are much sturdier than either paper OR plastic. Once in a while I will forget and get a few plastic bags in the house, and even then it is more bags than I would ever be able to use use up lining small garbage cans, etc.
nesta67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:36 PM   #35
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Ask-A-Butcher View Post
But, are they 'really' recycled?
Yes. They are taken and turned into new plastic bags and t-shirts and other things. You can't say "put your bags here, we'll recycle them" and not actually recycle them.

I try and remember the canvas bags but when I don't it's plastic but I use it for cat poop and other things mainly trash can liners and what not. If you don't tie your trash up here, it only ends up all over the way our trash trucks are. As for paper, only one store around here even offers it and that's Harris Teeter.
Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:40 PM   #36
Executive Chef
plastic here. I use paper feed sacks for trash can liners and ask for plastic when shopping. I can't keep the plastic in stock. I keep several at the barn for when folks drop by when I'm in the garden, I can send them away with a bag of veggies. And I store my own fresh veggies in the plastic bags. I do so little shopping that I sometimes run out of the plastic bags. I really appreciate the convenience of having the plastic bags to store my veggies. Yesterday i dug 13 pounds of carrots and got them all in one bag. Don't know what I will do if the plastic are ever outlawed. probably go over to cloth, but I ain't giving those away!

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote