"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-19-2007, 09:51 PM   #11
Executive Chef

The bottom line still is just jump on in I see new people introducing them selves if they get a few welcomes I just dont feel like I hafto add on, if not I try to extend a welcome.After all this is not kindergarten so I dont think anyone should be offended just they did not get the welcome they expect does not mean you are not welcome it just means with so much going on you just might be missed.Even so get in here we need the new people so just ask or say any thing food related or fun related.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:52 PM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Seems to be a lot of threads like this here lately. One thing I’d like to contribute is that some new users may feel unwelcome by some of the responses they receive. I’ve seen some users questioned about their use of language and how they type! Sure, we all want to see well written and articulate posts, but this isn’t English class, it’s the internet and a public forum. No sense in trying to school a new user, especially when that type of typing is popular all over the net and on mobile devices where time is of the essence.

I’ve seen new users post a recipe that they obviously like, and are probably proud to be sharing and thus contributing to DC, only to be greeted with “that’s pretty good, but I’d change this and this”, or “not too bad, but I’d take out this and add this”. In the worst case scenarios, there are responses of “are you serious, is this a joke” and “you’d be better off throwing away all those ingredients and using the chicken for such and such”. Granted, in those worse case scenarios, the recipes are a bit unwieldy (like use 2 cups of mayonnaise!). True, the recipe sounds a bit out there to people with some cooking time under their belt, but the poster may honestly like the recipe. They may be proud of it.

To have someone come in and criticize (and to suggest a change is a form of criticism) something you’re proud of and that you think tastes good, no matter how minor, can be a turn off. If the posters ASKS for hints on tuning the recipe up or changing it, then yeah, by all means say “I’d drop this and add that”, but if they don’t ask for that, then why say it. I’m sure some would say that they are simply trying to guide and educate the new user….but the user didn’t ask for that. They just tried to share and they ended up getting responses that their idea of good cooking is “less than” and should be changed…….but what if the suggested changes aren’t in line with the user’s tastes?

If someone doesn’t specifically ask how can I change this recipe, then why go out of your way to tell them that it needs to be changed. That can be rather traumatic for a new poster. You can either say nothing at all or say thanks for sharing. If you’re feeling generous, you can say I might try this sometime. If you really want to help, you can ask “do you make it this way all the time”, and “this sounds good, but I don’t have that much mayo, how do you think it would taste if I sub this”. This way, you come across as someone generally engaging them in conversation which in turn challenges them to think about the recipe so that they can respond…..this is far better than saying “that’s ok, but I’d change this”.

The other day I saw a recipe that called for a cup, a full cup, of sour cream. This wasn’t a big recipe and I thought a cup was way over the top. That amount of fat that a cup would have added was insane, but I didn’t say anything even though I thought the sour cream should have been cut down and replaced with a different liquid. What was the point in me saying “that’s a bit much on the fat there, how about using this instead to make it a bit more healthy and light”. There was no point in me saying that since the user liked their recipe as it was. It wasn’t for me, so I closed that thread and moved on. Alt+F4 is a powerful way to mark a thread as one you don’t care for, and it doesn’t put anyone off in doing so.

As for giving information that may be incorrect, then sure, you should correct them (if you’re positive you are right and can prove it), but there is no need to be matter of fact and state tersely that ”you’re wrong”. If you’re going to correct another, then I think there should be more to the conversation than a short "that’s wrong" response. The user will never learn if you don’t challenge them to think about what it is that is in question.

And that is my two cents.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:58 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

In answer to your questions keltin, I think the easiest and quickest way to say it is look at the name of the site. It is Discuss Cooking. What that means to most people is that if someone posts a recipe then it will be discussed. That means saying what you like or dislike, what you would change, what you would keep the same, etc.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:04 PM   #14
Head Chef

I agree, it is a discussion, but since this topic was about why do new users pop in, posts once and disappear, this is my take on it. And a discussion can be much more than “change this and it will be good”. A true discussion could be engaging where you ask “do you think I could sub this instead”….that would challenge the user to think and develop a true discussion rather than sit there and take the criticism.

True, it’s not the sites job to “raise” a new cook and hold their hand….but in real life, when we really care about helping another, let’s say our children or someone young and close to us, we often teach by asking questions such as “how many apples are on the table…..and how many apples fit in that basket”. This approach challenges the person to think for a bit and is far better than saying no you’re wrong, three apples go over there leaving us two apples. There is no teaching, learning, or discussing in that form.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:08 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

This is not a site called Teach Cooking though keltin. I hear what you are saying, but it does not mean that what others are doing is incorrect.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:13 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
This whole subject comes up every couple years. And yes, this seems to be on the heels of another thread. The time we have to devote to the site for each and every one of us is a very personal issue. While I may be logged on I may not be here. It's tough at best. There is no answer for everyone to follow. I've greeted/said Happy Birthday to some and not greeted/said Happy Birthday to others and have been accused of playing favorites and catering to "friends" when in reality I don't know any of these people. I only have so much time to be here and believe it or not, we have certain duties behind the scenes that need to be done. Some days it's not so bad; other days it's all you can do keep up with it. It's a Catch 22 - period. By the time you read all the new posts to make sure people are "playing nice" it's time to go do something else away from the computer.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:16 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Another view of the "one post wonder" person is that there are a number of people who post the first time and lose or forget their password and never return. I've been guilty ot that on other boards. These members are all sexes and all ages and account for a portion of the one posters.

As for the "add this or change that" part of our responses, it's a natural thing to see a recipe and respond based on our own experiences. We want to share in our tasty successes. In my case, it's almost an involuntary reaction and I'm probably not alone doing this. As a result, we often reply to a poster's recipe with our own "take" on it. And, as someone already pointed out, it's all part of DiscussCooking.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:19 PM   #18
Head Chef

It does not hurt any body to be nice==HB so what it might make some ones day ??every body needs a few smiles now and then..
Old 08-19-2007, 11:25 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
In case some people don't know - Discuss Cooking sends out a personal Happy Birthday e-mail to every person who has posted their birth date. I think it really shocks a lot of people - we get some nice feedback from that!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:27 PM   #20
Head Chef

Sure, as I have agreed, it is part of the Discussing. We type these posts, perhaps re-read them and then submit. Plenty of time for thought on courteousy, so it’s not a knee jerk reaction. In real life, you’re liable to blurt something before you can type it, but in typing, there is plenty of time to consider what you are “saying”.

This site has password and username recovery, so any user that really wanted to come back could even if they forgot their password and username.

The only thing I was bringing up, and no need for anyone to be thin skinned here, is that while the regulars have been here for a while and are familiar with each other and their posting style and sense of humor, the 800 or new guests or users that come by everyday aren’t. If I were paying for a cooking class and the teacher just said you’re wrong, I’d feel cheated.

But this is a free public site, and as you say, no one is here to teach someone to cook right. So I guess it’s fine to say “you’re wrong”. Either the person will ask why, or they will leave. Tough love….but no need to be surprised WHY some new users never participate or come back.