"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-20-2007, 06:48 PM   #31
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
Is there anything to be gained from telling a person they used the wrong spice or they had too many carbohydrates for side dishes

Do you have an example of where this has happened?

I have seen people say that something does not look good to them or that they would change some things around. That is part of discussion.

And to answer your question, yes there is a tremendous amount to be gained from being told that a different spice might have been better or that less carbs and more of something else could have rounded out the meal better. When I first came to this site I did not know a tenth of what I know now. I am thankful for the people who pointed out ways that I could change my recipes. Sometimes they worked and sometimes they didn't, but that is how you learn.

This is an open forum where people can express their opinions. Just because someones opinion is different from yours does not mean that one is more correct over the other. They are just opinions. If someone posts a recipe then they need to be prepared that some people will like it and some will not. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. As someone else said, this is not kindergarten. This is the real world.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:51 PM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
... this isn't a "you must do this or you must do that" kind of place...

This site is what the members make it - we just make sure it stays a friendly place. And I guess some know that we do whatever it takes to keep it that way.

I, personally, think our members are pretty awesome! Thanks guys!!!!

Well said, 472666 (huh?) That was what I was trying to say/share. Yes it was followed on the heels of another thread re Admin/Mods should be welcoming folks. I took the approach that member's can also take part. It was not all about welcomes and Happy Birthdays, or why new people may or may not stay. Thanks for putting it so succinctly. And, yes, do what 'you' feel comfortable with. How does the saying go? - The success is due to the sum of its' parts. Well, something like that. I was never referring to new members. The point was about enjoying what we already have here. And, I do. (Now if I could figure out where my 65550 (approx) pms came from before the site change . I just deleted them, btw - if anyone is having the same prob)

Old 08-25-2007, 07:46 AM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
.......I have seen people say that something does not look good to them or that they would change some things around. That is part of discussion.

And to answer your question, yes there is a tremendous amount to be gained from being told that a different spice might have been better or that less carbs and more of something else could have rounded out the meal better. When I first came to this site I did not know a tenth of what I know now. ........
Hey, I have to jump in here (BTW Welcome me back folks, )! I think there is a great benefit to commenting, tactfully, suggestions on newbies/anybodies recipes....the other less educated but learning members/guests here who will gain from other people's experience, tastes or interpretations. I think that its important to try and be tactful, but I DO think suggestions are beneficial to ALL the users of this site, not just the person posting he recipe.