"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-19-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
Head Chef

Participation

Well, this isn't a Forum Help or ideas thread, but a topic for discussion or 'food for thought'.

First, this site has much to offer - sharing recipes, jokes, personal life experiences, birthday wishes, pms, photos & on and on. There is no other site that I have seen that offers as much as DC does. Kudos to everyone that keeps this site working & on-line every day, for those who choose to be a member.

IMHO, the success is also, due in large part, to member's participation. (Please bear in mind, I am not criticising anyone or making any attempts to 'voice' how the site should be run).

I see many (some long-time members) logged in on a daily basis, but don't see responses/replys to fellow members' birthdays, welcomes, (sometimes I may miss a few, myself), shared recipes, jokes, etc. Some members never participate in welcomes or Happy B-days. (I, myself, am personally drawn right to the food, but that's just me.) Why not take the time to post a reply to the members already here that share their time?

I've noticed when a post gets zero replys (recipes, jokes - whatever), the thread dies and it is discouraging for any poster/member. I love seeing new members, even if it's one post to aska question -- but how's about a little more active participation from members already here 24/7 or otherwise.

Karma IS another great feature. It shows appreciation for a post etc. I have never been opposed to that - in fact I'm all for it - keep it coming. What keeps the Board jumping (imo), is when members post an interest/reply on the Board - so others may want to join in a discussion -- even if it's a 'that looks nice, or 'I may give it a try' or 'that made me laugh' or 'Thank you' kind of response.

I think it is 'safe' to say, not everyone is everyone's cup o' tea - that's life. but the draw to this site, for me, is about food and levity and hopefully making new friendships. There are disagreements or different points of view that can become passionate from time to time. But isn't the overall purpose here to share & exchange with fellow members. Thanks for allowing me to express my point of view.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #2
Everymom

Well said Amy. It seems like you put a lot of thought into this post.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:18 PM   #3
Executive Chef

It's hard to wish birthday salutations to someone you've never corresponded with. Equally, it's hard to say 'great job' when someone posts something their kid did if you've never corresponded with that person. I also won't publicly wish anyone well any longer when someone is looking for 'prayers'. Not being a 'pray-er' I did offer someone my most heart felt and sincere good wishes and actually got red karma from two moderators who didn't understand my post. That kind of thing will keep a person from reaching out ever again.

As for the recipes..well, that's another tough one. I can read a recipe that is posted here, but does that mean I have to respond to it? What if I don't care for the recipe? Surely you wouldn't want me to post that? What if I was to say that I just saw that recipe posted in last month's food magazine? Sometimes, it's better to keep some thing to yourself.

Like any discussion board, people form virtual friendships here. They also notice when someone talks out their a** most of the time. My personal way of navigating this board is to pick and choose what is important to me, and respond to that/them. The thing about cooking is that are very few ways to actually cook wrong. You can cook poorly, but that doesn't make it wrong. If you like it, and your family eats it...and you like to talk about it, this is the place for you! There are as many personalities and characteristics here as there are apple varieties, potato varieties, tomato varieties, melon varieties and squash varieties, combined.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I definitely see VeraBlue's point. I was undecided about posting welcomes to new members because most of the time, even though I'm logged on, I am not actually at my computer except for brief snatches of time. If I felt an obligation to welcome every new member, I would have no time to learn things. Also, if I posted welcomes for some and not others, would that be seen as selective? I finally decided that on the days I have extra time and I'm not actively trying to learn something new, I will welcome a new member and hope that is OK. (Also, some of the new posts look to me to be kind of an advertising thing. Not the majority, by any means).

I will respond to a thread started by a new member if it's something I want to know, too. At least they won't feel like they are the only one who has a question. But there are very few questions I am qualified to answer. The few queries I felt like I could offer any help with, I tried to. But I would hate to steer someone wrong.

The birthday thing - I feel like VeraBlue does. It's very difficult for me to wish someone Happy Birthday when I don't know them at all and they don't know me. Not that I think it's a bad thing and I'm sure lots of DCers like it a lot. But I probably wouldn't do it unless it was someone I had had some on going interaction with here or I would feel weird. For me, it feels like when I get birthday cards from all sorts of businesses every year.

I think this thread and some other ones like it might best serve DC as a gentle reminder that any community grows and thrives on "new blood" in order to remain fresh and vital and interesting to everyone. If everyone makes a little extra effort to encourage newcomers in whatever way they feel comfortable and have time for at that moment, maybe that would address the concerns of the authors of these threads. Or maybe my take is completely wrong - that happens a lot! lol

Terry
Old 08-19-2007, 08:13 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I do my best to post but I also may not have much to add to some posts as for birthdays Im guilty of not offering greetings but to the people I know but so many come up and they really have not made any posts etc for me to even know them a little.Other posts have been done over so many times like how to boil an egg and that is fine because new people have questions and DC will always respond there are so many answers by others I just plain dont have anything to add. I think if people want a responce they need to start posting.Ive been here a long time and used to get dissapointed alot because I didnt get alot of responce I felt like I was trying to get in a clique (its so not that way)then I learned to jump in and put my 2 cents worth in everything I was interested in, the more your name comes up and the more posts you make the more you get back.
Amy,I noticed you jumped in from the beginning with no problem.
That why I posted the open invitation post to get people to come on out and have some fun with us.
And now it will be a little harder with so many new members but I think my little brain can retain more names but people need to show up and post for me to know them.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:16 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
(Also, some of the new posts look to me to be kind of an advertising thing. Not the majority, by any means).
Terry
Terry, you've touched on an area that Admins and Mods see a lot of. We (most) always have our radar out and try to clear the "sellers" from DC. It's a tricky process and, occasionally, we might miss one. Advertising is something that is not acceptable here and we do our best to keep it that way.

When it comes to greeting members, I usually review their profile in addition to reading their intro. That way I try to "customize" my greeting to fit them.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:25 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

I think the general idea is that we are all different people and those differences should be embraced. Just because one person thinks it is great to welcome everyone and wish everyone a happy birthday does not mean that the next person will feel the same way. Both of these people can be right.

Amy, if you want to welcome people and wish happy birthdays then that is an absolutely wonderful thing and by all means keep doing it. People who get those messages from you love it I am sure.

Vera, Terry, and others who, for whatever reason do not want or do not feel comfortable doing the same, don't. And don't feel bad about either. There is nothing wrong with the way you feel.

Each person here is different and what is right for one is not right for everyone. Diversity is a good thing and we need to remember that.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:30 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Terry, you've touched on an area that Admins and Mods see a lot of. We (most) always have our radar out and try to clear the "sellers" from DC. It's a tricky process and, occasionally, we might miss one. Advertising is something that is not acceptable here and we do our best to keep it that way.

When it comes to greeting members, I usually review their profile in addition to reading their intro. That way I try to "customize" my greeting to fit them.
Yep, I know ya'll are really up on this. I rarely see more than one post from a new member that looks like a seller - either they stop with the ads (I'm sure with a little nudge from ya'll) or they disappear. But sometimes it's not completely clear if the new member is a seller or if they just don't know what's acceptable. I notice ya'll respond quickly to that and then keep a close watch. I certainly appreciate your vigilance on this type of thing Katie.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:57 PM   #9
Head Chef

Birthdays and Welcomes were only two examples re participation. I do see some of your points. I think most of you get the gist of what I am saying. Sometimes many people join at the same time, so it's tedious or I may not have the time to address every one. Again, it's not 'all' about welcomes and birthdays. (Although, I hope we can omit our birthday year, now that the site has been updated )
Old 08-19-2007, 09:01 PM   #10
Head Chef

Advertisers and spammers aside, I think it is important for all of us to make an effort to encourage new users. Yes, we do often see the same questions over and over again, but it is possible to point out a link to a thread or suggest the search feature. I have noticed several times Katie E's extra effort in extracting info from the UP. (Katie, I'd have karma'ed you, but apparently I did so recently--the site said "no.") New users are the lifeblood of any site like this--no matter how much you know, someone will come up with a question to which you didn't even know you wanted the answer. I know I have been remiss in this regard, often feeling I had nothing to offer; I do, however, have a good idea how the site works and where better info than I have can be found. This, in itself, can be useful.