"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #31
Executive Chef

I'll agree that if you have diabetes and you've gotten it under control by diet alone then you are doing something right.

Maybe you just have an instinct or knack for doing it right without measuring.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I'll agree that if you have diabetes and you've gotten it under control by diet alone then you are doing something right.

Maybe you just have an instinct or knack for doing it right without measuring.
It was all trial and error. Learning the hard way with determination.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #33
Executive Chef

I'm glad you have not taken offense to my comments. I'm a scientist at heart. I embrace science and mathematics, and because of my calling I find it easy to apply scientific methods, including weighing and taking detailed notes, to my cooking endeavors.

Many who are intuitive rather than scientific succeed well in cooking. Fortunately for me I have both science and intuitiveness working for me, although I prefer to allow my scientific side to rule in taking notes and making records. My intuitive self tells me which ingredients to use and how to balance them.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I'm glad you have not taken offense to my comments. I'm a scientist at heart. I embrace science and mathematics, and because of my calling I find it easy to apply scientific methods, including weighing and taking detailed notes, to my cooking endeavors.

Many who are intuitive rather than scientific succeed well in cooking. Fortunately for me I have both science and intuitiveness working for me, although I prefer to allow my scientific side to rule in taking notes and making records. My intuitive self tells me which ingredients to use and how to balance them.
I have yet to see or read any post by any member of DC that is mean or hurtful. Sometimes when I am talking to a person, I tend to raise my voice. I hear myself and immediately apologize. I think it comes from yelling at my kids for years. And I still yell at them when they do something stupid. Which is often. When will they learn?

I learned that if I pig out with more than one baked potato it would raise my sugar. So I always eat my protein food first. Then I am no longer able to eat two potatoes. I make all the desserts for the family. But I never eat any of it. I was willing to give up any item of food that had sugar in it as long as I could continue to have sugar in my coffee. It has worked out for me. Also in exchange for that, I limit my carbs to a small helping. I will eat my protein, then the veggie and last any carb that may be on my plate. Most of the time I leave the carb untouched. I also learned not to eat a carb unless I have protein first. Trial and error. I hate the feeliing I get when my sugar goes above 150. I try to keep it to 135 tops. I succeed about 95% of the time.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:51 PM   #35
Executive Chef

You have learned the lesson that carbohydrates particularly starches metabolize to sugar. IMO baked potatoes are almost as evil as sugar. Starches (and sugar) metabolize quickly and raise our blood sugar level to alarming levels. Proteins are much more difficult to digest, so they have a much longer effect but less peak effect. I think of eating protein as eating building blocks, while eating starches and sugars as eating fuel. This is a very important distinction: building blocks vs. fuel.

And fats, but I'll save that issue for another day. Fats too are difficult to digest and thus they contribute less to peaking blood sugar levels. It is starches and sugars that diabetics need to concern themselves with, although I am no authority nor do I have that disease.

I think far too many people obsess over fat content while ignoring the main offender: starches.

Tags
pasta