"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Pasta

I was watching Capreal and John's Kitchen. They were doing a show on quick family meals. Pasta was the main subject. They suggested that when you are cooking pasta, cook the whole box. Any leftover, toss with olive oil and then just heat it up in hot water when you want to have pasta again. Sounded like a good idea. So I made up a box of it a couple of days ago and followed their suggestion. Today I put it to the test. Works for me. Since pasta seem to be the one thing I can eat without any problem, I am back on the road to recovery from this stupid eating problem I have.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I was watching Capreal and John's Kitchen. They were doing a show on quick family meals. Pasta was the main subject. They suggested that when you are cooking pasta, cook the whole box. Any leftover, toss with olive oil and then just heat it up in hot water when you want to have pasta again. Sounded like a good idea. So I made up a box of it a couple of days ago and followed their suggestion. Today I put it to the test. Works for me. Since pasta seem to be the one thing I can eat without any problem, I am back on the road to recovery from this stupid eating problem I have.
If you have to heat up a pot of water to reheat the cooked pasta, how much extra does it take to just cook it as needed?

Old 06-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If you have to heat up a pot of water to reheat the cooked pasta, how much extra does it take to just cook it as needed?
My problem is that in the time it takes to boil the water and then wait for the pasta to cook, by then I have lost my appetite and I don't want to eat. This method, the water just has to be hot. I don't have as long wait since I am only heating up the water, not waiting for it to boil. And I am not waiting for the pasta to cook. I am just trying ways to make myself want to eat. And this seems to work for me.

This eating problem is driving me crazy. There doesn't seem to be any reason for it. I am trying anything that will help me eat at least once a day instead of not eating for four or five days at a time. Right now pasta seems to be working. I will just keep plugging away with anything that works. Because I got so sick Thursday from people insisting I try to eat some of the lunch when I knew I couldn't, I skipped eating at all yesterday. Not good for a diabetic.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Buonsera Addie,

Pasta is great whether it is hot or cold ... I reheat my pasta if there is leftovers ... Many times, I take it for a laboral lunch ... Well, I am a true Pasta-holic ...

Hope that you are feeling better, and off to a speedy recovery,
Kind regards,
Ciao. Have a nice wkend.
Margi.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I also reheat leftover pasta but I am not going to make extra on purpose.

If I have to get a pot, fill it will water and heat it I am going to make fresh pasta.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Savannah Smoker,

I only make extra pasta, if planning on eating it at the magazine office for a laboral lunch ... otherwise, I make just enough for the two of us ... After all these years, I pretty much know what we are going to be able to enjoy.

I also make my own Pastas when time permitting, however, sometimes I make a dish with Barilla.

Have a lovely wkend.
Ciao, Margi.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Since it's already cooked, I don't think you need to fill a pot with water in order to reheat pasta; it doesn't need the space in the pot to prevent sticking. I would think just enough to cover the pasta would work fine.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My problem is that in the time it takes to boil the water and then wait for the pasta to cook, by then I have lost my appetite and I don't want to eat. This method, the water just has to be hot. I don't have as long wait since I am only heating up the water, not waiting for it to boil. And I am not waiting for the pasta to cook. I am just trying ways to make myself want to eat. And this seems to work for me.

This eating problem is driving me crazy. There doesn't seem to be any reason for it. I am trying anything that will help me eat at least once a day instead of not eating for four or five days at a time. Right now pasta seems to be working. I will just keep plugging away with anything that works. Because I got so sick Thursday from people insisting I try to eat some of the lunch when I knew I couldn't, I skipped eating at all yesterday. Not good for a diabetic.
Addie,
I heat butter in a slkillet brown it if you like, then add my pasta and let it warm that way. It's yummy and fairly quick. I use a 5 mg. carb pasta it's called Dream Fields and I don't get high Blood Glucose from it. All that is absorbed is the 5 mg. I just love this pasta the only thing that annoys me is One store in this stupid city carry's it. But
I stock up on it and always have it on hand now.
kades
Old 06-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Addie,
I heat butter in a slkillet brown it if you like, then add my pasta and let it warm that way. It's yummy and fairly quick.
kades
OK, now this makes more sense so thanks.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Addie,
I heat butter in a slkillet brown it if you like, then add my pasta and let it warm that way. It's yummy and fairly quick. I use a 5 mg. carb pasta it's called Dream Fields and I don't get high Blood Glucose from it. All that is absorbed is the 5 mg. I just love this pasta the only thing that annoys me is One store in this stupid city carry's it. But
I stock up on it and always have it on hand now.
kades
I like that idea. I am definitely going to give that a try. I have heard of Dreamfield. A lot of good reviews. My store doesn't always carry it. It is a hit and miss thing with them. On a lot of items. Thanks.

Tags
pasta