"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-26-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Patti Smith covers Nirvana! very good

okay so I suppose this will only be aplicable to people 40 an younger. I was a huge fan of nirvana and hated most covers, but I love this cover

the entrance of the banjo after the four high notes (two played back to back) is just sublime! I used to hate Banjo music, but after this simple yet elegant performance I'm hooked

Patti Smith is quite a woman, deserves to be up there with the likes of Dylan, Joplin, and Jagger

I love how she adds the little hillbilly high pitched flair to the end of her words. "entertain US"

here's a link

I hopelessly addicted to this song. my apologies if you sat through it and didn't enjoy it.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Thanks for this. I think some of us over 40 will be glad to hear from Patti Smith again - an outrageous and wildly talented woman. And this Nirvana is a classic.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:49 PM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
okay so I suppose this will only be aplicable to people 40 an younger. I was a huge fan of nirvana and hated most covers, but I love this cover.

Quite an assumption, really! I'm over 40 by more than a little bit and Nirvana is one of my very favorite bands and Patti is one of my favorite artists!!!

I actually play that Nirvana album here at work. Softly.

Her cover is good, but I really prefer the rock version. Wish she had wailed it.

You can actually understand the words in her version, though.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:53 PM   #4
Senior Cook

ooh your about to hit post 1000 Fisher's Mom! congrats!

Yeah its a classic alright! I call it a masterpiece despite opinion otherwise.

Its off her new album 12, All the songs are covers, he even does a cover of Stevie Wonder's song "Pastime Paradise" taking the song back from Coolio who had that wildly successful cover called "gangsta's paradise"
Old 12-26-2007, 02:54 PM   #5
Head Chef

hmm, i personally like the original better. I was way to young when nirvana came out. i was like 4 years old.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:58 PM   #6
Senior Cook

you can never be too young for great music. (and as I just learned, you can't be too old either ) I love the beatles yet wasn't even born when they were together.

There hasn't been too many good bands since the 90's, all the kids where I work listen to 70's or 80's music.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:59 PM   #7
Executive Chef

You are too cool to notice that, Fincher! I just saw it and it made me wonder if this means I won't burn dinner tonight, seeing as I'm an Executive Chef now?

You're right about Nirvana in that I think they pioneered a whole new style of rock that I think people first called grunge but is a lot bigger. Staind came out of this and I love them, too.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:05 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
you can never be too young for great music. (and as I just learned, you can't be too old either ) I love the beatles yet wasn't even born when they were together.

There hasn't been too many good bands since the 90's, all the kids where I work listen to 70's or 80's music.
true. i have over 12GB of hard drive space taken up from nothing but rock. I do not listen to hip hop or rap. Not my flavor of music. i will listen to country and since my friend is on the utah state dance team, he makes me listen to country. I play guitar so i tend to shoot for bands like Van Halen. I do however love classical music and Piano music.

my friend is the piano player in this.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:32 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
i personally like the original better.
me too, I think it would be impossible to improve on the original. but Patti's version is the first one that came some-what close to transcending the original.

That's cool about your friends band, looks like they had a pretty big crowd.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:36 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
me too, I think it would be impossible to improve on the original. but Patti's version is the first one that came some-what close to transcending the original.

That's cool about your friends band, looks like they had a pretty big crowd.
Thanx, yeah he is pretty good. i have all of his solo cd's if you want i could email a couple of songs to you. But i do not know if you like piano music.