Pay dirt at Goodwill again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
One of my good friends has been singing the praises of a really, really, really cool Goodwill store in an area that I don't normally visit. So, she and I made a day of it last week and "played." Shopped the store, had lunch and went back to the store after lunch..for dessert. Fewer calories taken in this way.:rolleyes:

For a couple of years I have been investigating the possibility of obtaining a countertop instant ice maker. There have been more than enough times when our refrigerator ice maker hasn't kept up with demand.

I looked around online (none available locally) and was disappointed that they were more costly than I was willing to pay. Now...

My good friend, Goodwill, came to my rescue on the outing with my friend. I came home with a great Avalon Bay ice maker for, drum roll please...$3.99. List price for this model is $149. It looked like it had never been used. To put icing on my dessert, because I was shopping on Wednesday, 20% was discounted because I am an old fart.

I've tested the machine and it makes two sizes of ice cubes and does so in about 10 minutes. Yeah!!!!!

I can't wait to go back. I might try a Saturday, or at least the first Saturday of the month. On that day everything in the store is 50% off! No sure I have that kind of stamina.

I must live in a vacuum.. I'd never noticed that such an appliance was available...

We have a tiny fridge freezer.. We don't use ice often so we use the tray space for small items.. At those times we need ice, I run to the store for a bag and, usually throw much of the ice away..

I'd love to find a counter top ice maker with a bargain price.. I'd not pay the price companies are asking for something I'd not use frequently..

A great find, Katie... :)

Ross

I used to have one. The magazine I worked for sent me one to review. They didn't ask for it back (that's how you get your products in magazines, BTW).

I liked it, especially the shape of the "cubes," which were ring shaped. I really didn't need it, though, and it took up too much counter space in my small-ish kitchen. I took it to the office, and it grew legs the first day.

CD

We have one that we love. The tap water here tastes lousy, and the icemaker in the freezer takes up too much room.
We keep it in our storage shed, a few steps from our house.
Funny thing-when we got our new refrigerator, I asked the installer to remove the icemaker. He said he could not because it was wired in. Ha! I removed the 2 screws holding it in, and unplugged it to remove it.

Spent yesterday testing it and I'm impressed with its performance. Went from small to large cubes to see what the difference was. The large ones are about 50% bigger than the small ones.

It's very quiet and cycles often, making lots of ice in a relatively short time. It's going to come in very hand when we have gatherings here.

I pulled up the instruction manual online and was pleased to see it also showed a parts diagram, along with an electrical diagram.

If it was used, it was barely used. The body of the machine is pristine and the inside was darned near clinically clean. Looks like we'll have a long working relationship.

Katie, like Souschef said, we love ours. We use purified water in ours as the tap water is so full of minerals in these here parts. Ours is going all the time as we use lots of ice year round. I always have a glass of unsweetened ice tea in hand until it's "wine time" and we use ice in that too but don't tell the wine snobs.:rolleyes:

Great find Katie!
I love Good will stores. You never know what your going to get or find.

Our refrigerator's ice maker went years ago. I've been making ice using trays. Now I can kick myself for not thinking of buying one of these before.
Those trays take up some much needed room.

The repairman told us it would cost more to have the part replaced,adding to the service charge. It wasn't worth it. Except now it will be the last fridge I ever buy from Costco.

I'm so on Amazon now.Raise you mouses if you think Munky needs a new toy.:wub::ROFLMAO::LOL:
We go through a stack of 8 trays a day. Adding to that we have to buy ice to. It would be great to to take for long stays at a hotel. We won't have to leave the room..

Justified?

Munky.

Great find Katie!
I love Good will stores. You never know what your going to get or find.

Our refrigerator's ice maker went years ago. I've been making ice using trays. Now I can kick myself for not thinking of buying one of these before.
Those trays take up some much needed room.

The repairman told us it would cost more to have the part replaced,adding to the service charge. It wasn't worth it. Except now it will be the last fridge I ever buy from Costco.

I'm so on Amazon now.Raise you mouses if you think Munky needs a new toy.:wub::ROFLMAO::LOL:
We go through a stack of 8 trays a day. Adding to that we have to buy ice to. It would be great to to take for long stays at a hotel. We won't have to leave the room..

Justified?

Munky.

I am holding my mouse over my head!

Amazing find! I love bargain shopping!! The only time I have ever seen one was at the assisted living I work. One of the family's brought it in for a resident. I thought it was brilliant that they didn't have to fool with making ice in their mini fridge.

Goodwill is an amazing source of nearly anything you can imagine, which is why I think of it first when something breaks/breaks down or I need something for a special project.

The ice maker is an example of what might be considered a frivolous purchase if I paid full retail. At $3.99 minus 20%, a $149.00 purchase is more easily justified. Definitely more bang for my buck.

I've stumbled upon many real bargains over the years and am always amazed at what I find. Having a sharp eye helps, too. If you have knowledge about an area, you can spot a "gem" immediately. It's a great treasure hunt.

Congrats on finding such a great deal, Katie. I'm glad you have such great Goodwill stores by you. I'm jealous. Any of the resale shops where we live couldn't hold a candle to yours. Those around here are heavy on the clothing, crappy on the other stuff. Salvation Army, Goodwill (nearest one is 22 miles and has terrible parking), smaller shops...they're all meh. The best I've found are in Amish country! I swear the second we we're finally back home, my best buddy back home and I are going on a resale shop marathon. She can spot the best deals!

Congrats on finding such a great deal, Katie. I'm glad you have such great Goodwill stores by you. I'm jealous. Any of the resale shops where we live couldn't hold a candle to yours. Those around here are heavy on the clothing, crappy on the other stuff. Salvation Army, Goodwill (nearest one is 22 miles and has terrible parking), smaller shops...they're all meh. The best I've found are in Amish country! I swear the second we we're finally back home, my best buddy back home and I are going on a resale shop marathon. She can spot the best deals!

Yes, I guess we're fortunate to have these great stores. The same day my friend and I went to Goodwill we went to a very, very nice consignment store she knew of and I was seriously impressed. Great selection, super prices. It was almost like shopping at a costly boutique. I only bought one item. A swimsuit for our new granddaughter, size 12 months. I think it was by Faded Glory or some such. With tax, I paid 82 cents. Can't beat that.

Dry Ice is getting harder to find. My brother remembered that decades ago, you could buy dry ice from Baskin Robbins.

Here in Texas, Kroger stores have it. Maybe Ralph's will have it, too, out there. Kroger owns Ralph's.

CD

Yeah, Yetis are stupid priced. An 8 ounce travel cup is like 30 bucks. An average cooler is around 300. No thanks.

Yeah, Yetis are stupid priced. An 8 ounce travel cup is like 30 bucks. An average cooler is around 300. No thanks.

When you are on a fishing trip, like to the Dry Tortugas, with no chance of restocking your ice supply, a cooler that will keep the same amount of ice for 5 days instead of 2, then that price is justified.

Back
Top Bottom