People and Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heck, it's their food, once I serve it to them. If they want to salt, tobasco sauce, sour cream, mustard, fish sauce or otherwise condiment it to death, more power to them!
Enjoy!

I believe that some people probably have a genetic predisposition to salt. More taste buds or something. Perhaps it releases endorphins or something.

So if they want to ruin my perfectly prepared dish, that's fine with me! Eat! Enjoy!

Come to think of it, when I quit smoking, I didn't notice much TASTE increase...
but there is no doubt that my sense of SMELL improved!

Last edited:
As for salting the food, I don't understand why people care what I do and don't do with the food I eat. If I tend to like things on the saltier side than most people do, why should that anger anyone?
Well I don't think anyone is saying it angers them. You want to salt your food then go for it. The question was about salting food before tasting it. It is just a curiosity because how can someone know that a dish is not already perfectly salty to their taste (or even too salty) before they taste it? You can always add, but you can't take away.

This thread gives me food for thought. I've never placed S&P shakers at my table because:
1. I think my food is always well-seasoned, although I go light on salt for health reasons(ok, ok, mea culpa on arrogance).
2. I don't have any S&P shakers.

Guess it's time to buy a set and start observing the behavior of my dinner guests. :) That should give me honest feedback about my food.

Question: Is it acceptable to ask for S&P in case there's none at the dinner table?

I ask because I was once at a casual dinner at my friend's house who's a pretty good cook. I thought the food tasted great. Well, one of the guests actually asked the host for salt! And it wasn't like he whispered his request discreetly. He said it out loud and everybody at the table heard. I thought it was very rude. Of course my friend got salt from the kitchen. The guest proceeded to salt his food generously. His wife even partook of the salt as well! Afterwards, when I had forgotten about the incident, my friend asked me about the taste of that dish and I told her there was absolutely nothing wrong with the seasoning. She was clearly affected by the incident though.

Now on a related topic, I never realized that my dad always puts ketchup on his food before tasting it. It doesn't drive my mom nuts though (and she's a pretty good cook). He tried it once when he came visiting me here. I called him to the dinner table and he immediately asked if I had ketchup -- this before even knowing what food I was serving!!! Boy did I react like I was more than mildly insulted... Hope the message got across. Although I doubt it. :rolleyes:

it depends on the food for me, if it`s a plate of Chips/Fries then I will always add salt, same with freshly carved meat (stuff that isn`t salted during cooking), anything else I try before I add (or not).

Question: Is it acceptable to ask for S&P in case there's none at the dinner table?
Personally, I think it is absolutely acceptable, but I would expect that request to come only after the food has been tasted. I would not expect the request to be whispered or said in a low voice either. No more so than asking for a glass of water.

Like Robo410 I serve well seasoned meals. I put peppermills on the table and, being a fan of coarser salts I use those oldtime salt cellars when guests are present. It does make people stop and think for a moment.

On the other hand, I have a dear friend who cooks bland and badly. The salt shaker in the purse is not a bad idea. Maybe I could stow some other spices in there too!

I have, over the years, diminished my use of salt in my cooking. There are times when I add salt but it is seldom enough for Mrs Hoot. Taste is very subjective. What tastes fine to me will likely not taste the same to others. I always have a peppermill and a salt shaker handy. I know some folks that do not care for freshly ground pepper so I keep a shaker with grocery store ground pepper on hand too. Life is too short, IMHO, to fret about such things.

The salt shaker in the purse is not a bad idea. Maybe I could stow some other spices in there too!

funny you should say that, I do similar (I don`t have a purse obviously) by I wear a leather waistcoat almost 27/7 and in the pocket (amongst other things) I have a few packets of salt and one of tobasco sauce, for Exactly that reason ;)

Myself I think salting is a habit, when growing up, the s&p shakers were always passed around the table. I eat salt on apples, watermelon and cantaloupe - never without. Bad I know, so guess I am a salter too - never thought about it. Certain things I salt more though, baked potatoes, corn on the cob, popcorn etc. I know I should cut back !

I guess I would like to add something further. I do salt only certain foods before tasting. Apples, tomatoes, carved beef (only beef) and f.f.

I think, imo, that it may be habit if salting everything or just a love of salt.

Apples and tomatoes I can actually understand salting before tasting as you already know that no salt has been added and if you like those things with salt then you know you need to add it yourself.

Why did you post this again YT? We saw this the first time you posted it:LOL:

So fries/chips are never salted when they come out of the fryer in the UK? Over here sometimes they are salted right away and other times they are not, but I always taste first because when they do come salted then often times they are already over salted. If I added before tasting I would make them inedible.

Because you Asked again :rolleyes:

and nope they don`t do that here, they Will ask though, but they never put enough on, and if you eat at a mates house it`s Never done.
and I can eat as much salt as I like, in fact it Positively Encouraged by my quack.
some sort of BP issue *Yawn*

as for fresh carved meat a little salt is Always nice, esp Roast beef sammiches :cool:

LOL I asked again, but of the posted who has just posted, but not answered the original question ;)

That is too bad they do not salt fried foods right away. That is proper cooking technique that they really should learn. If you salt as soon as it comes out of the fat then the salt will stick. If the food cools then the salt will not stick and no matter how hard you try to salt it the salt will just fall off.

I can kind of see salting carved meat without tasting. I would taste first myself, but I can understand those who would not taste first and salt anyway.

I don't salt anything without tasting it first and in all honesty, often forget about adding salt at the table either. I have always sort of figured that the dish is meant to be served to that level of saltiness, and if at someone's house and they are dubious to the salt factor, I would anticipate that they might warn me that a dish may require more salt. They are after all meant to be my friend or a family member.

As to whether I think people who salt without tasting rude or not, no I don't see them that way, but I do see them as a habitual salter and perhaps aren't pausing to consider their food. Perhaps.

S&P shakers on the table - don't own any, only got the picnic sized containers cos I really don't use much salt, but they will go on the table for something like a soup or pasta etc but not every meal.

There are a couple of things I like to have salted at the table but as I said previously, usually forget about it - poached or soft-boiled egg (but just the runny yolk) and a grilled lamb chop. I'm always amazed at the things people salt. Pretty much I only salt items being cooked in liquid where the flavour may be leached out. Being the contrary person that I am though, I salt foods more now than I did before I got put on a salt-free diet, which I am no loner on. No salt at all I found was not that pleasant, although I think that may have more to do with the fact the hospital cooked food so that it no longer resembled a once-living organism!!!! LOL

Back
Top Bottom