"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-02-2007, 07:40 PM   #51
Master Chef

Yea, I can see maybe adding a shake or two before tasting, but it sounds like this guy is brining his food before he eats, no? LOL!

Old 12-02-2007, 08:30 PM   #52
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
Yea, I can see maybe adding a shake or two before tasting, but it sounds like this guy is brining his food before he eats, no? LOL!
Indeed he blew my mind on that one.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #53
Senior Cook

Fresh salt tasted different than salt cooked in the food. Since we all need less salt, I have reduced the salt I cook with to none or almost none. Then I add the salt I need at the table.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:58 AM   #54
Head Chef

Good grief, I have thought about this for a while. the problem, or blessing, of this forum is that the questions make me think..

S&P are the only flavorings one has the option of adding at many dinners and at most restaurants. OK, sometimes there are other condiments including hot sauce, but at a 'dining' place it is typically S&P.

To be perfectly fair to those chefs who demure at placing the shakers on the table, I, as a diner, do not have the liberty of adding more garlic, or basil, or anything else.

If I think the dish could use a bit more cardamom I am out of luck. The chef got the choice of the amount of the stuff.

So I can understand why some chefs might say they should have the call on the amount of S&P. I will focus on salt.

To be contrary, salt (and pepper) have been for years seasonings that folks have learned to add or not, as they chose.

And salt is different than cardamom. It dissolves. And as such the added taste effect is almost instant.

It is basically the only option one has available for a diner in a restaurant to adjust the taste of a dish to his/her palate.

And gosh I have seen so many folks pour on the salt. It seems to be a flavoring that some people find better in lesser amounts (like us) and one that others seek in greater amounts.

My own opinion is put the shakers on the table.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:11 AM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

I always taste before salting, but I love salt and often do add it (sometimes I munch on grains of crunchy kosher salt while cooking - luckily I have low blood pressure). When I was in college, I worked at a Navy officers' club, which offered a gourmet dinner for special occasions. They had individual salt and pepper shakers for each place at the table; I loved that idea so now I have 12 sets of small salt and pepper shakers that are always on the table (equal to the number of place settings, of course).

What drove me nuts once was at my brother-in-law's wedding reception. I was sitting with my sister-in-law (DH's sister) and her husband and three kids. She went around the table salting the food of all three kids before they had tasted anything! Never saw anything like it. So I guess that's how some people learn to do it
Old 12-04-2007, 08:27 AM   #56
Head Chef

Wow.

I use very little salt when I cook at all. My parents find my food not salted enough, DH and I find it fine. I know I undersalt, I know my friends know I undersalt, there is always salt on the table, in the knowedge that I 'need' less salt than most. Even so I would notice negatively if someone who was not familiar wih my food, or was having a new thing at my home, salted without tasting. Irrational but true.

With reference to smoking, I did used to taste less well and I was a very light smoker. I still find this happens if friends and family who smoke are around. The smell of cigarettes oven over powers subtle flavours and food scents for me...whether I've smoked or if the person next to me has. *shrug* I deal with it.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:48 AM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Another perspective - I read once that salt counters bitter flavors in food, so I have a theory that people who use a lot of salt may be more sensitive to bitter flavors.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:18 AM   #58
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Another perspective - I read once that salt counters bitter flavors in food, so I have a theory that people who use a lot of salt may be more sensitive to bitter flavors.
Im very sensitive to bitter but never used salt to make it less bitter I use salt to improve the flavor of food.If I accidentally over salt a dish I know it and Dh makes sure I never hear the end of it.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:29 AM   #59
Head Chef

My sister-in-law does this but she has a strange medical condition where she is supposed to eat quite a bit of salt daily.

I firmly believe it is just habit with people. It the salt wasn't there, they would probably ask for it anyway. To each his own.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:41 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Im very sensitive to bitter but never used salt to make it less bitter I use salt to improve the flavor of food.
That may be two different ways of saying the same thing If you're sensitive to bitter, and salt counters bitter flavor, then you would perceive a better flavor in the food.