People are Funny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
We have seen so many people on our vacation, and they never cease to amaze me. Over all the people we have come across have been very friendly. Some are a little reserved at first, until we start talking to them, and then they open up. Some just walk by and don't acknowledge that you spoke, and they don't make eye contact. Tonight James and I spent about and hour and a half in the pool and hot tub. As we got back to our room, a woman was coming down the hall (I didn't see her, as I had just gone in the room as she passed, but I did hear her). James, as always, said "Hi, how are you tonight?!" She gave James a funny look and said, "Hi, I don't know you," and walked on! I don't know why, but that just tickled my funny bone! I have a feeling she is one of the "keep your eyes ahead and don't talk" kind of people, but she must have been caught off-guard by James's sudden greeting!

:)Barbara

That is funny. I'm glad you are still friendly though. I love getting to know new people and hearing about their lives. Tour bus rides are one of the best places for that! I'm glad not everyone is like that woman.

Folks of this day and age are guarded. And I can understand to some extent. Being friendly and curteous is something that is not expected, you often catch folks off guard when you greet them as passer bys. I think what you have done over your trip awesome and admirable. Hold those encounters close to your hearts and don't sweat the folks that can recognize a truly friendly encounter! You guys have everyones best interest at heart, if not the best company one could have on any given evening!!! I could only wish to come accross a friendly smile/encounter like you have described. :)

We have noticed big regional differences in how people react to a greeting or even just a smile or nod. Before tonight's encounter we were talking with the hotel's lifeguard. Olga is from Russia but is living here now and going to college. We all talked about the differences in people in different areas of the country. We came to the conclusion that if you want to be alone, you should move to a huge city.

Barbara L.... you are a few and far between encounter in my big city. I would love to see your friendly faces anytime sweetie!!!!

I remember when i was down in Virginia. I was sitting on a bench ( maybe in colonial Williamsburg, not sure) , when all of a sudden a guy from Georgia sat down next to me, and started talking to me as if I were his best friend. I must say it totally caught me off guard. He asked many questions about New York. I was very polie, and kept up in the conversation ( being the gentleman that I am), but I must admit, i thought it was kinda strange just to sit down next to a stranger and stat shooting the breeze. When riding my bike, kayaking and u run across another biker/ kayaker, there is always that " bond" and courteous head nod, or good morning, as if you have some kind of bond because you have the same hobby.

Years ago when my oldest dd was in kindergarden while we wer waiting for the bus we would wave to a older gentlemen in a little truck as he went by. A few years later while I was working at a fast food place, I realized the same guy came in every day, he recognized me and told me that seeing my daughter out everyday and getting that goodmorning wave made him smile for the rest of the day. Which in turn made me feel good.
My youngest is naow a junior and if she sees that same guy (I told her what we use to do) she gives a wave with a big good morning smile.

I remember when i was down in Virginia. I was sitting on a bench ( maybe in colonial Williamsburg, not sure) , when all of a sudden a guy from Georgia sat down next to me, and started talking to me as if I were his best friend. I must say it totally caught me off guard. He asked many questions about New York. I was very polie, and kept up in the conversation ( being the gentleman that I am), but I must admit, i thought it was kinda strange just to sit down next to a stranger and stat shooting the breeze. When riding my bike, kayaking and u run across another biker/ kayaker, there is always that " bond" and courteous head nod, or good morning, as if you have some kind of bond because you have the same hobby.

:LOL::LOL: You can be standing in the grocery store line here and end up with a new friend!!! Down here there are no "strangers" - just best friends you haven't met yet! Moving from up near the Canadian border to the south was a real eye opener - and "heart" opener. Nope, there are no strangers in the south. You know who to talk to and who not to though - eyes tell everything I need to know!!!

When riding my bike, kayaking and u run across another biker/ kayaker, there is always that " bond" and courteous head nod, or good morning

shortly before the call for an ambulance? :cool:

barbara, you and james should have experienced the subway in nyc. people packed like lemmings, so tight that you can't even move a candy from one side of your mouth to the other, and everyone just stares into space as if no one else is there.

in jersey, a common expression is that you should only be interested in what concerns you, or else you might get a "who you lookin' at, huh? you lookin' at me?"

:LOL::LOL: You can be standing in the grocery store line here and end up with a new friend!!! Down here there are no "strangers" - just best friends you haven't met yet! Moving from up near the Canadian border to the south was a real eye opener - and "heart" opener. Nope, there are no strangers in the south. You know who to talk to and who not to though - eyes tell everything I need to know!!!
It is the same in the midwest. I'm used to people in South and North Carolina being friendly and talking, but many (at least in the small towns) are still very reserved. No reservations at all in the midwest. Everyone was so friendly and helpful that it surprised me (even though I expected that friendliness). You know, of course, that James is from the midwest. :cool:

...barbara, you and james should have experienced the subway in nyc. people packed like lemmings, so tight that you can't even move a candy from one side of your mouth to the other, and everyone just stares into space as if no one else is there...
That's exactly what I meant when I said that if you want to be alone, move to a huge city. I got the feeling, in NYC, that we could have stood on our heads, picking our noses, and no one would have even noticed! We did find a few friendly people there, and some who reluctantly responded (I think we surprised them!). But most of the people we saw out on the streets were very good at the "if I don't make eye contact, they'll leave me alone" thing!

I've lived all over the country, and believe that Midwesterners are the nicest, most outgoing. They are So likely to start up a conversation with a stranger out of the blue. I do that myself (no, not a Midwesterner by birth, just curious) and in many parts of the country I'm likely to be rebuffed. Not around here. People are so kind here.

People are pretty friendly here in southern Illinois, but the closer you get to the cities (St. Louis, Chicago), the less friendly they are.
I've been around the country quite a bit, and I've found the friendliest people seem to be in North Carolina, Tennessee and Texas. They tend to be a little suspicious of Yankees in the deep south, although once they hear my drawl, and discover that not everyone from Illinois comes from Chicago, they get over it pretty fast.

My friendly ways almost got me in trouble once, though. I was walking down the street in Denton, Texas, and smiled and nodded at a man who was coming toward me. He proceeded, then, to turn around a follow me, which gave me quite a scare. Fortunately, I got to the 7-11 where I was headed, and he did not follow me in.

Yep, that's how it is here in Texas, too. I've been out running errands and ended up hearing the life story of 3 different complete strangers! (Sometimes, people tell me way more than I want to know.:LOL:) That's why Southerners seem to do things slower - because it takes longer when you chat with everyone you run into.

Back
Top Bottom