People Watchers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StirBlue

Head Chef
We are all People Watchers. What are some of your interesting stories of people watching?

When I am waiting in line to cash out at the grocery store, I read all the cover lines on the tabloids and magazines. Then it's off to people watching.

One evening I noticed a young couple with kids shopping on the baking isle. The man asked his wife to buy a box of apple crisp but she was looking for something else. When he decided that she was not going to buy it, he picked up a box and hid it under some groceries in the cart. She never did put anything in the cart and then they circled off to another isle.
:)

I love to watch people, when I worked, we would go outside and sit on a park bench for our breaks. In the winter I would see parents with their coats on and just a blanket sleeper on their little ones!!! Use to make me so mad ! There were times I would go back inside when I see parents let their little ones run in front of them in the parking lot. Scared me to death, that a car would back out in front of them !

Barb L: We could only afford one coat so we got one that everybody could grow into. No reason to get a little one that everybody would outgrow.

If you shorten parking lot, you have park. If you don't have time to go both places, just convince them that the parking lot is the park.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

One thing I've noticed in "people watching" is seeing a family and each member is dressed as if they are going to a different place. The mother may be in jeans and a shirt, the dad in sweats, the children dressed up in their finery. It always makes me wonder what they were thinking.

One of my favorite things to do is find a quiet spot on a busy street corner in San Franciso and just watch what walks by..One thing that still sends me into gales of laughter, was the time my DH and I and two other couples came out of Fior d' Talia, all dressed up and each one of us full and happy after a wonderful meal..We are coming down the step, when off the side walk comes a monkey, YES a monkey he makes a big jump and ends up on Dh's shoulder.. Being as he came from behind DH, he was taken completely unaware..If you could have seen the look on his face as he came off those steps..Oh my goodness..I'm even laughing now as I remember it.

But, if I were to choose who I'd watch, it would be a group of small children at a park or play area..I love their openness, their happy shrill laughter and giggles, watching them have a tug of war over a toy, then hug and kiss each other and go on playing..Little ones don't judge, or point fingers unless someone takes their cookie or sippy cup. They will offer others a bite of their cookies or a drink from their sippy cup..They just accept each other have fun, play til they run out of gas..Then they snuggle into mommys, daddy or ma and pa's arms and go home ready for a nap..They just love each other and you, BECAUSE!
kadesma

I believe I am most fortunate to live in what must be one of the best people watching locations in the US. Any time of the day or night on any day of the week, I can park myself somewhere and see a wide spectrum of visitors to our fair city.

I love their excitement... overhearing one tourist in delight, "I can't WAIT to see it at NIGHT!!!" Frequently you see people together, each noticeing something different and pointing excitedly in different directions.

I like to people watch at the mall but my favorite place to people watch is airports. I love to watch the goodbyes and I especially love to watch as family and friends reunite.

:) Barbara

Im not a big people watcher, but in alot of situations one cannot help but notice other people. Restaurants come to mind. Ya ever just watch someone else eat? It can range from hilarious to sickening!! :LOL:

Then in the same situations (restaurants) I can get as angry as I can get:angry:
Watching parents mistreat their children. As mom and dad order expensive appetizers, salads, expensive entree's etc. Then there is this big quandry over what to order their daughter. It becme a 15 minute discussion with the waiter... the objective being... feed the kid as cheaply as possible. Oh! did I mention that the daughter had very little input and was at least 12 years old!!!:angry: Once in Pensacola Fla. I became so angry at a simular stiuation envolving a young boy, they were actually arguing with the kid. Finally I had heard enough. I got up went over to the table and put a $20.00 bill on the table and told the daddy(?) let the kid have what he wants and sat back down. The kid got the steak! ;) Can you tell this type of behavoir makes me angry?? :boxing: :LOL:

UB,
Bravo, I don't understand how unfeeling and thoughtless some people can be with children..I'd have done the same thing.Frankly, if my child wanted a steak and I didn't have all that much money, we would have gone some place where we could all enjoy a meal without worrying about the cost, or by heaven I'd have eaten hard tack and the kid would have had steak!
kadesma

I'm more along Uncle Bob's line. I don't watch people to feel good, or to watch how nicely life is going, or to observe them having a good time

I watch people that i have a feeling will cause some sort of scene or do something hilarious or disgusting.

At McDonalds, I get upset with people who make their children eat before they can look at the toy in the happy meal or before they can run and play in the jungle gym. Usually they leave right after they finish eating and take the broken promises with them. Those kids could eat their happy meal later; it comes in a bag after all. They do the same thing at the park when they are having a picnic.

I lose my appetite when parents make their 5 year olds sit in a high chair.

It's not fun to watch kids sitting at a table waiting for their grandparents to bring them a plate of food from the buffet when they are 12 years old.

I feel sorry for parents who feed their children and wait on them at restaurants and then the kids get bored and restless and rude while their parents are trying to eat.

One of my favorite restaurant watches was when a lady came in with her young child. After they had their food and was eating, the lady started breaking french fries in half, dipping them in ketchup, and flicking them off the end of her fingers. They were going every where. The kid was about a year old and was laughing. I imagine that they do that at home too. It was such a surprise behavior that I just didn't know what to think.

We took two kids with us to McDonalds one time. They took the pickles off their sandwiches and laid them aside. It was usual for them that when they were finished eating that they would flick the pickles on the glass window and watch the pickle race! I did not see that one coming. LOL

Stir Blue, I'm glad I'm not eating at the places you mention because I would not be happy with that sort of behaviour. I did insist my kids (and my grandkids) eat their food before they got the toy, or played on the equipment - and heaven forbid they ever flick any kind of food. I'm amazed at the number of people who use no manners and have no concern for other people eating nearby or after them.

StirBlue said:
At McDonalds, I get upset with people who make their children eat before they can look at the toy in the happy meal or before they can run and play in the jungle gym. Usually they leave right after they finish eating and take the broken promises with them. Those kids could eat their happy meal later; it comes in a bag after all. They do the same thing at the park when they are having a picnic.

I lose my appetite when parents make their 5 year olds sit in a high chair.

It's not fun to watch kids sitting at a table waiting for their grandparents to bring them a plate of food from the buffet when they are 12 years old.

I feel sorry for parents who feed their children and wait on them at restaurants and then the kids get bored and restless and rude while their parents are trying to eat.

One of my favorite restaurant watches was when a lady came in with her young child. After they had their food and was eating, the lady started breaking french fries in half, dipping them in ketchup, and flicking them off the end of her fingers. They were going every where. The kid was about a year old and was laughing. I imagine that they do that at home too. It was such a surprise behavior that I just didn't know what to think.

We took two kids with us to McDonalds one time. They took the pickles off their sandwiches and laid them aside. It was usual for them that when they were finished eating that they would flick the pickles on the glass window and watch the pickle race! I did not see that one coming. LOL

the biggest problem with this scenario is parents feeding their children mcdonald's, imo.

Mylegsbig said:
the biggest problem with this scenario is parents feeding their children mcdonald's, imo.

If I had really been serious about preparing them for life, I should have taken them to a tavern and taught them to shoot pool! :LOL: Now, they'll just have to wing it, won't they! :huh:

We never went to McDonalds because they have great food. We go there because it is family and child FRIENDLY. We have lots of winter here. Where would you take your children for hot cocoa after sledding in subzero weather? And where would you take them to play in subzero weather?

I have to admit that many times we went there and bought a shake, paid .52 cents for the toy and played in the jungle gym.

My children are all athletes and we spent many evenings at ball practice and Saturdays competing.

Sure, we rent movies, by the time a sports season is over, the movies are out on dvd!

Oh my gosh, woo hoo, a happy meal is going to kill you!!! (Well, only if you find it in the back seat of the car after a week!!!) :LOL:

Uncle Bob said:
Im not a big people watcher, but in alot of situations one cannot help but notice other people. Restaurants come to mind. Ya ever just watch someone else eat? It can range from hilarious to sickening!! :LOL:

Then in the same situations (restaurants) I can get as angry as I can get:angry:
Watching parents mistreat their children. As mom and dad order expensive appetizers, salads, expensive entree's etc. Then there is this big quandry over what to order their daughter. It becme a 15 minute discussion with the waiter... the objective being... feed the kid as cheaply as possible. Oh! did I mention that the daughter had very little input and was at least 12 years old!!!:angry: Once in Pensacola Fla. I became so angry at a simular stiuation envolving a young boy, they were actually arguing with the kid. Finally I had heard enough. I got up went over to the table and put a $20.00 bill on the table and told the daddy(?) let the kid have what he wants and sat back down. The kid got the steak! ;) Can you tell this type of behavoir makes me angry?? :boxing: :LOL:

Bravo, Uncle Bob. I wish I could believe the cheapo dad got the real message.

I can remember the amazement caused by my 6 year-old daughter when she ordered prime rib for dinner in a restaurant one evening. Disbelief from the waiter, who asked me twice if it was OK. She got the dinner and ate the whole thing. Daddy's girl.

:LOL: Thanks for the memory Andy. My son at age 8 or 9 would be out with us and he would order in this deep, dignified, and sophisticated voice his appetizer, salad and entree etc. The waiter would give me this 'look" at which I would nod...yes! Sometimes the little "turkeys" meal would cost more than mine or his mother's. I can count on 1 hand the times we went home with a doggy bag for him! :LOL:

I think the 'cheap' dad and mom got the point. After they left the establishment a waiter brought me the 20 bucks.

The kindergarten teacher told me that my son always ordered what he wanted from the lunch menu (we have three lunches to choose from) regardless if it was the class favorite. (They have to order their lunch in the morning because it is catered in from the school district kitchen.)

She said that a child who orders what he wants and likes is an independent person and will make good decisions in life.

(it was school conference day, she had to come up with something that he was good at??? :LOL: )

I like to watch people for all kinds of reasons, body language, quirks, you can learn alot about a person just by watching and observing their manerisims.

My FAVORTIE is to watch a nice couple sitting at a restaurant, the guy out with a nice looking lady or wife, and then observe that man as a nice looking young waitress or patron walks by.... it is funny how easily their attention is diverted!!!!

Back
Top Bottom