"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-22-2007, 04:33 AM   #1
Head Chef

People Watchers

We are all People Watchers. What are some of your interesting stories of people watching?

When I am waiting in line to cash out at the grocery store, I read all the cover lines on the tabloids and magazines. Then it's off to people watching.

One evening I noticed a young couple with kids shopping on the baking isle. The man asked his wife to buy a box of apple crisp but she was looking for something else. When he decided that she was not going to buy it, he picked up a box and hid it under some groceries in the cart. She never did put anything in the cart and then they circled off to another isle.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:36 AM   #2
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

I love to watch people, when I worked, we would go outside and sit on a park bench for our breaks. In the winter I would see parents with their coats on and just a blanket sleeper on their little ones!!! Use to make me so mad ! There were times I would go back inside when I see parents let their little ones run in front of them in the parking lot. Scared me to death, that a car would back out in front of them !

Old 05-22-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
Head Chef

Barb L: We could only afford one coat so we got one that everybody could grow into. No reason to get a little one that everybody would outgrow.

If you shorten parking lot, you have park. If you don't have time to go both places, just convince them that the parking lot is the park.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:50 AM   #4
Executive Chef

One thing I've noticed in "people watching" is seeing a family and each member is dressed as if they are going to a different place. The mother may be in jeans and a shirt, the dad in sweats, the children dressed up in their finery. It always makes me wonder what they were thinking.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:57 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

One of my favorite things to do is find a quiet spot on a busy street corner in San Franciso and just watch what walks by..One thing that still sends me into gales of laughter, was the time my DH and I and two other couples came out of Fior d' Talia, all dressed up and each one of us full and happy after a wonderful meal..We are coming down the step, when off the side walk comes a monkey, YES a monkey he makes a big jump and ends up on Dh's shoulder.. Being as he came from behind DH, he was taken completely unaware..If you could have seen the look on his face as he came off those steps..Oh my goodness..I'm even laughing now as I remember it.

But, if I were to choose who I'd watch, it would be a group of small children at a park or play area..I love their openness, their happy shrill laughter and giggles, watching them have a tug of war over a toy, then hug and kiss each other and go on playing..Little ones don't judge, or point fingers unless someone takes their cookie or sippy cup. They will offer others a bite of their cookies or a drink from their sippy cup..They just accept each other have fun, play til they run out of gas..Then they snuggle into mommys, daddy or ma and pa's arms and go home ready for a nap..They just love each other and you, BECAUSE!
kadesma
Old 05-22-2007, 12:08 PM   #6
Head Chef

I believe I am most fortunate to live in what must be one of the best people watching locations in the US. Any time of the day or night on any day of the week, I can park myself somewhere and see a wide spectrum of visitors to our fair city.

I love their excitement... overhearing one tourist in delight, "I can't WAIT to see it at NIGHT!!!" Frequently you see people together, each noticeing something different and pointing excitedly in different directions.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:54 PM   #7
Head Chef

lol, my people watching is much more snarky.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:05 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig
lol, my people watching is much more snarky.
Peeping Tom!
Old 05-23-2007, 01:41 AM   #9
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I like to people watch at the mall but my favorite place to people watch is airports. I love to watch the goodbyes and I especially love to watch as family and friends reunite.

Barbara
Old 05-23-2007, 09:17 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Im not a big people watcher, but in alot of situations one cannot help but notice other people. Restaurants come to mind. Ya ever just watch someone else eat? It can range from hilarious to sickening!!

Then in the same situations (restaurants) I can get as angry as I can get
Watching parents mistreat their children. As mom and dad order expensive appetizers, salads, expensive entree's etc. Then there is this big quandry over what to order their daughter. It becme a 15 minute discussion with the waiter... the objective being... feed the kid as cheaply as possible. Oh! did I mention that the daughter had very little input and was at least 12 years old!!! Once in Pensacola Fla. I became so angry at a simular stiuation envolving a young boy, they were actually arguing with the kid. Finally I had heard enough. I got up went over to the table and put a $20.00 bill on the table and told the daddy(?) let the kid have what he wants and sat back down. The kid got the steak! Can you tell this type of behavoir makes me angry??

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote