Personal Chefs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Half Baked

Executive Chef
I haven't heard much about Personal Chefs on this forum but Mr HB was at St Andrews Church in Alpharetta Ga, this morning and CNN was there.

A group of PCs were visiting from California and CNN asked them to come to the church kitchen to give an example of their profession and discuss it on camera.

So, if you are a PC and are interested, I'm sure the CNN site will have a guide on their Specials.

Are there any PCs here?

I'm working on starting a business/becoming one. Does that count? Not that I know much, as I am continually learning. I got the name and tax id thus far, and working on recipes and advertising formats. I actually am at a point that I could start seriously promoting/advertising, but I just haven't had the time!

I know, no excuses . . . . .

Hi Jan, am not a PC, but know that laws vary from state-to-state even within localities, you really need to know them (for example, I know in many places you cannot prep anything at home).

Also please, please, please, get insurance.

There are forums on the web that deal with PCs and they may help.

Sorry if this is something you already know about.

Best of luck.

BigDog said:
I'm working on starting a business/becoming one. ... I got the name and tax id thus far, and working on recipes and advertising formats. I actually am at a point that I could start seriously promoting/advertising, but I just haven't had the time!

. . . .

Hey, Dog, that is what I have been wanting to do. Not the actuall work but the name and tax ID. Mostly so I would be able to buy stuff in bulk. I voluntier a lot in this one place, cook for them. I can't chuge them, the organisation is just very poor, but at least i could buy stuff for me that I need for cooking, i.e. supplies etc...

Anyway, how do I go about about getting the ID and whatever else is involved?

You can answer here or PM me.

Hey we still need to get together.

Being a personal chef can be either THE BEST experience. It can also be the worst, I have had some verrrrry difficult people/familys, in the past. I guess it all depends.

There are numerous online agencies for placing pc w/ clients.=

Hey WHOA! I don't want to become a PC...I just thought the CNN special might be interesting to anyone in the business, or thinking about being in it.

No how, no way. :LOL:

I used to want a small cafe and catering business...even had a good deal on a very cool old cafe on the public square, with big high fancy ceilings and a beautiful old long wooden counter. The owner was a family friend, ready to sell out and retire, and offered me a great deal.
I had no experience, except from my own entertaining experience, which was pretty extensive. But I was young and full of ambition and energy.

Then my husband (now ex) said, "You know, you'll be working every weekend and every holiday. Are you sure you want to do that?"

So I went into the greenhouse business instead. I had no idea...:wacko:

Jan I do not want to become a PC but I thought it was nice of you to let us know what CNN is talking all about.

Have a great day.

It must be being made as a filler for a slow day. I couldn't find it either.

Besides being in the same boat as Caine, I was also a (professional) personal chef for about 3 years. Absolutely loved doing it - I met so many great people and learned more and more about specialized cooking needs.

If I had it to do over, I'd do it in a minute!!! There are a couple of Personal Chef websites out there with some forums open to non-members where you can get lots of info. (I would post the one I know, but probably look like I was prejudiced... :) which I am)

I am a part time PC. I have CIA Culinary training, and a small list of clients who contract my services for dinner parties, small events, etc.
My main job is a prep school teacher, and I have no thoughts to giving up my insurance and pension to cook for a full time living.
I got my attache of tools and knives, and my trunk of pots and pans and travel within a 5 state area (mid atlantic)
My repetoire is classic European and regional American.

Back
Top Bottom