Pet Lovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Since there are so many of us out there, I thought I'd tell the tale of the mice. Now I have one Jack Russell terrier (used to have two) and they seem to co-exist with mouses in the houses. Seriously, I found myself chasing a mouse around the house with a garbage can lid a few days ago, and this morning DH found one drowned in our dog's water bowl. Now, I know she drank a gullet-full at about 2 a.m. Did she drink around the mouse or did it drown after that. My dogs have seemed very content to live with our annual infestation of mice. JRs are supposed to be excellent mousers. Not mine. And no, they are not too well fed (Keiki is quite thin, enough so that she almost looks like a whippet). I guess I need a cat.

Awwww, the poor little mousey drowned?! :(

Raisin loves hedgehogs. She see's them in the park and wants to play with them. One day she picked one up in her mouth (very gently) and tossed him in the air! She wanted him to play with her!!!! She looks in the same spot for him all the time now...

Maybe you do need a cat, Claire. But it's not a sure thing - I've had some wonderful mousers and I've also had some that must be related to your dogs! You might try pure peppermint oil sprayed around the areas they frequent or placed on cotton balls in those areas. Also, any little openings that mousies like to enter can be blocked up by shoving steel wool in there. Mice won't chew or dig through steel wool. HTH

We have a Beagle and a Toy Fox Hound. No mice, rats, squirrels, or rabbits exist in our yard any time of the year.
They even make it hard for us to attract birds to the yard!

I have this vivid memory of when one of my cat's was only a couple of years old chasing this mouse around the garden at night (we could not distract her to get her in). Now she was an excellent mouser in her day and very generous (unfortunately!!) but on this occasion, she chased the mouse up the back fence (6ft wavy concrete type very common in Perth) and there she was perched on this thin wavy bit of concrete fence sitting next to the mouse, who also was perched precariously, neither knowing which way to go as the fence really didn't lend itself for a fight!! Tom and Jerry moment, if ever I saw one!!

Back
Top Bottom