Pet Peeves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RMS

Sous Chef
My biggest pet peeve (today, anyway) is those big plastic security wrappers that so many stores and companies are using lately. I needed to replace the ink in my printer and purchased a new cartridge at a warehouse store. We all know how small a cartridge of computer ink is, but it was wrapped up in this humongus piece of clear plastic.
Not only do you have to nearly kill yourself (well maybe just risk a couple of your fingers) trying to cut the thing open but then you need to dispose of the dumb thing which takes up a lot of space in the trash!
My community has switched to the one big can instead of 4 regular ones so I have to really watch what I dispose of!
Thanks for letting me vent!:mad:

If they can put a man on the moon, why the heck can't they invent a shaving creme can that doesn't leave big rust stains where ever you set it down?

I have taken to storing mine upside down, resting it on the plastic cap.

It seems now a days whenever you buy a (music) cd they put the dang stickers right on the jewel case, and they never peel off clean! Not meaning the clear ones along the edges, but the ones stuck on the front that mention some of the feature tracks, or featured artists. They used to put those stickers on the outer plastic wrapping. A few still do, but many have switched to putting them on the jewel case. :angry: :censored: :furious: :boxing:

OK, here is one for you. Driving to and from work, driving to work I drive towards the rising sun and driving home is towards the setting sun. My PEEVE: No matter where I put my sun visior, there is always that tiny little crack the sun finds to blind me!!!!

I'm really getting fed up with packaging. What's up with plastic clamshell type packaging that is almost impossible to open without heavy duty scissors and even then, there's a high risk for blood loss!!! I have opened many, many Spiderman action figures, along with Transformers, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc. and they just get worse and worse. I know this is an anti-theft measure but it's become ridiculous! The 5 year old got 3 huge sets of Lincoln Logs this year in lieu of the scads of action figures he adores because I decided I was only going to open a certain number of those d***** packages and that's it. Happily, the Lincoln Logs were a big hit!

And sparrowgrass, I'm with you. I've noticed most aerosol products that we usually keep in the bathroom rust at the bottom. Why???

Fisher's Mom, did you see the new product to open those packages? Made by 3M I think?

http://www.asseenontvguys.com/productimages/OPEN_X_CUTTER.jpg
I just saw a couple of those type of things within the last few days online. Have you used one yet? They look great. I've used a regular utility knife lots of times but after I sliced through my finger once, I went back to scissors. (The time I cut my finger really badly, I didn't notice instantly so there was a fair amt. of blood by the time Fisher started crying and pointed it out. He never would play with that particular action figure after that.)

Fisher's Mom, did you see the new product to open those packages? Made by 3M I think?

http://www.asseenontvguys.com/productimages/OPEN_X_CUTTER.jpg

back in my rebel days, my friends use to tape razor blades to there fingers and pretend to be looking at the package. as they spin it and flip it over to look at it, they are really slicing the package over and then they stash it. after a while, it finaly caught with them and they wanted to steal something bigger. Welcome to GTA. They ended up getting caught and going to a not so fun place.

ANY way my pet peeve is hunger pains. i hate being hungry.

Ew. I have a few scars from the old exacto knife injuries myself. (there is one by my knee that I did when I was cutcasing a display of shampoo bottles back when I worked in retail. I stabbed it so deep...oh man that hurt!)

I haven't bought one yet, I totally forgot when I was shopping, but I intend to get one as it looks like just the ticket. That HAD to have been invented by a Mom who has trashed herself opening action figures etc.

Oh man, exacto knives are the worst. I love them because there are times when it's the perfect thing for the job but they can really slice. I will definitely get one of the safety openers and I agree, this is a Mom invention.

I Googled plastic openers and found several, including the one shown which seems to be called an OpenX.

Would love to know if anyone has experience with one or another.

Cause like Fisher's Mom it takes me forever to cut through that plastic with a utility knife.

Was wondering, of course those plastic things are there to prevent theft. But will these new gizmos make it easier for folks to shoplift?

Then the stores will come up with even more secure packaging that will drive me further nuts.

I Googled plastic openers and found several, including the one shown which seems to be called an OpenX.

Would love to know if anyone has experience with one or another.

Cause like Fisher's Mom it takes me forever to cut through that plastic with a utility knife.

Was wondering, of course those plastic things are there to prevent theft. But will these new gizmos make it easier for folks to shoplift?

Then the stores will come up with even more secure packaging that will drive me further nuts.

for sure. on page one i told peopel how my friends used to put razor blades on the fingers and go to the store and "pretend" to look at the package. They would flip it around and turn it all directions and to the store camera, it really looks like they are looking at the product. But in reality they are cutting it open and stashing it in there pocket. They did that for a few months then they decided it was a big enough thrill so they stole a car. They called me one day and told me about how they "bought" a car and wanted me to help fix it up. Well guess who shows up the day im there. Luckily they couldnt do anything to me

I think it is crazy that they sell a tool to get in those friggin clam shells!!! I bet the same people that made that packaging makes the tool too!!!

back in my rebel days, my friends use to tape razor blades to there fingers and pretend to be looking at the package. as they spin it and flip it over to look at it, they are really slicing the package over and then they stash it. after a while, it finaly caught with them and they wanted to steal something bigger. Welcome to GTA. They ended up getting caught and going to a not so fun place.

How were they going to drive the car with razor blades taped to their fingers :huh:

Anyway, ;)

I'm with you RMS and FM. Those plastic wrappers kill me. I don't know how older people can get into some of those packages. Sure you can be careful of the product and cut them open, but I don't always have a sharp knife where I want to open the dang thing.
Yep, that's a good one.

How were they going to drive the car with razor blades taped to their fingers :huh:

Anyway, ;)

I'm with you RMS and FM. Those plastic wrappers kill me. I don't know how older people can get into some of those packages. Sure you can be careful of the product and cut them open, but I don't always have a sharp knife where I want to open the dang thing.
Yep, that's a good one.

Yeah they found out the hard way.

If they can put a man on the moon, why the heck can't they invent a shaving creme can that doesn't leave big rust stains where ever you set it down?

I have taken to storing mine upside down, resting it on the plastic cap.
:)Just had a thought get a coaster like the kind you put a drink on and put your can on that

:)One of my pets peeves is when there is a bowl of mixed nuts and someone comes along and picks with teir dirty filthy hands thru the bowl eating all the pecans,cashews first leaving nothing put peanuts and such.DH does this at home with the can of mixed nuts I keep. Irritates me to no end not only is it nasty but just plain selfish with no regard to others that might want some.

:)Just had a thought get a coaster like the kind you put a drink on and put your can on that
OMG, this is brilliant! (Smacks self in middle of forehead.) I can't believe this never crossed my mind. Thanks JP! Unfortunately, I have no suggestions for dealing with a nut-picking hubby.

Back
Top Bottom