Pet Peeves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think they call it "doing runs", all I know is that it gives me the runs! :ROFLMAO:

All I know is that it sounds like they can't hold a note properly, I hate it. That and every year, I am forced to watch American Idol, and every year there is one doing runs and one screeching, like a screech owl, I can't listen to that!

While I was waiting for the van to pick us up after shopping today, I heard someone playing their radio. The singer sang all over the place, but didn't touch the actual melody. I don't find that entertaining at all.

I can't stand to watch American Idol. It reminds me of the Gong Show. It isn't worth listening to 9 bad singers to maybe, just maybe, hear a really good one.

Last edited:
A pet peeve: eyesight that can't see the little grains of salt from the shaker and I have to find glasses in order to see how much I'm adding. Or that can't read the directions on anything without a pair of glasses. Rats.

And I can't read anything with directions with my glasses on...:wacko:

Can now see for miles and drive without glasses Yippeeeee but I hate having to wear glasses to dice foods, eat, read a recipe, paint my nails EAT ARGGGGH it's a game we now play on and off with the glasses
What next lord?
kades

That's why we have the tops of our heads. I used to tell my kids the reason I keep my other pair of glasses on top of my head was because I had an extra set of eyes to see everything they were doing. It worked for years. :angel:

Folks, men mostly, that acquire certain breeds of dogs in order to look cool, or as an enhancement to a certain body part because they feel inadequate. Then when something bad happens, its "Don't blame the breed, blame the deed!". Duh, if you don't have the breed, there won't be a deed.

Yup bud, you come explain to that little girl why her cat was torn to pieces defending her kittens instead of fleeing to save her own life. Why the dog was being looked after by your elderly mother that had absolutely no chance of controlling the dog, even if it was on a leash!:mad:

I'm done now.

Oh, you really hit a nerve here. And, while I've known some women who have this failing, it has been men who've told me. "Oh, that isn't a real dog, it only weighs XX pounds!" Yeah, well, as my husband says, inversely proportionate to your member. I worked for a vet and saw poor rotties with chains embedded in necks because people refuse to buy a pet appropriate to their family, so, stick it in the yard and throw some food out once in awhile.

So ... be it large or small, people who acquire pets they simply cannot handle is a real biggie for me. Putting an animal in a yard and leaving it all day, with a bowl of water it kicks over in the first hour. A dog that you can never hope to control. A dog, period, when no one in the family is going to be home for 10+ hours a day, 6-7 days a week. I've lived places where Rottweilers, Pit Bulls, Dobermans, and Rhodesian Ridgebacks were the "style" for "macho men", and they'd bring them home to wives and children who could not handle them, at all.

Men who called my dogs "yappy little dogs" then teased the dogs until they were bouncing off the walls. I finally got myself a pair (a heck of a lot bigger than these men), and told them if they wanted to play with my dogs (being polite), take it out in the yard and both of you wear your sorry butts out. Huh? The men almost never take me up on it, deciding if they can't just tease and torture, it's not fun any more.

Grrrrrr.

I hear ya loud and clear! I had a neighbor in Tacoma that trained dogs for bear hunting. He did this knowing the dogs would be killed by the bears. "But that is the whole purpose. It's fun watching them fight." :mad:

In the back of the building is an area where a lot of folks bring their dogs on their walks. There is one big burly man, must weigh at least 250 lbs. and he walks a teacup chihuahua. When the dog gets tired he picks her up and puts her in his pocket. Now that is my idea of a real man. He cares about life. He is willing to walk this dog that always has a pink bow on top of her head. :angel:

I remember once, when I lived in Daytona Beach (home of two of the most huge biker rallies), seeing a little, cute dog that this big, burley biker was carrying around. Had its own protected space on the back of his Harley. Now, so many upscale, mid-life crisis professional are getting into the biker culture, but this wasn't him. He was of the old biker culture. But when I stopped to talk to him about his doggie, he just melted. Took her wherever he goes. She was a peke, and had obviously just been groomed (short haircut, clear skin (hard to acquire in Florida), clear eyed, and happy. Didn't recognize her as a peke, because I'd never seen one with short hair. Mom and I sat and adored her, and her scruffy owner, who obviously adored her.

I remember once, when I lived in Daytona Beach (home of two of the most huge biker rallies), seeing a little, cute dog that this big, burley biker was carrying around. Had its own protected space on the back of his Harley. Now, so many upscale, mid-life crisis professional are getting into the biker culture, but this wasn't him. He was of the old biker culture. But when I stopped to talk to him about his doggie, he just melted. Took her wherever he goes. She was a peke, and had obviously just been groomed (short haircut, clear skin (hard to acquire in Florida), clear eyed, and happy. Didn't recognize her as a peke, because I'd never seen one with short hair. Mom and I sat and adored her, and her scruffy owner, who obviously adored her.

Old bikers make the best pet owners. My SIL go to Laconia over the July 4th weekend every year for the rally. This year he brought the family dog Cosmo. He is a Westie. He made sure that he went to the groomer and had his Harley outfit on before they took off. He rides on the back of the Harley in a milk crate with a harness on. Even has a helmet with his ears sticking out. And of course his Harley hankerchief around his neck.

A couple of years ago when SIL was so sick from chemo and radiation treatment, Cosmo never left his side. Just stayed there beside the bed. When he would feel better, Cosmo knew it and would jump up on the bed. He wouldn't even go out to the kitchen to eat. My daughter had to bring his food and water in the bedroom for him. The only time he would leave was to go outside for his daily walks. But he wouldn't walk too far away from the house. Did his thing and wanted to get right back to his spot next to the bed. :angel:

Oh, I think our true friend animals (not the ones we toss in the yard to live, or buy for our kids who lose interest in 2 days) recognize when we are under weather.

Oh, I think our true friend animals (not the ones we toss in the yard to live, or buy for our kids who lose interest in 2 days) recognize when we are under weather.

When my kids were small I refused to have a dog in the house. I knew the kids wouldn't take care of it and I worked. I couldn't afford paying the vet or other expenses other than food. So no dog. They hated me for it, but I wasn't in a popularity contest. :)

Yeah, I lived pillar-to-post as a child, and Mom was extremely strict about who and when we could adopt a pet, because we never lived more than three years anywhere. At the time I thought she was mean, but now I know how very right she was. When I think of how many acquaintances we had who, over the years, adopted pets and then discarded them because they had to move ... well I know Mom was right. Taking a pet, keeping it for as long as it amuses your kid, then discarding it? Don't take it on if it isn't a true commitment.

When my kids were small I refused to have a dog in the house. I knew the kids wouldn't take care of it and I worked. I couldn't afford paying the vet or other expenses other than food. So no dog. They hated me for it, but I wasn't in a popularity contest. :)

That was very sensible of you to do Addie :)

Your kids may have been upset with you in the short term but in the long term very wise decision
thumb.gif

My youngest daughter (the one that died) would bring home all stray animals. I use to swear she would some day come home with a grizzly bear under one arm and an alligator under the other. She did bring home a an old stray cat once that was really hungry. I fed it and it never left until it died. One time she came home with an old sway back mare that was headed for the dog food pile. I stuck it in the pasture and bought a large bag of oats to give her every moring. I tried to tell my daughter that she was really old nd wa going to die. She didn't want to hear that. She finally died and my daugher was heart broken. :angel:

Bump!

I cringe every time I see a chef on TV crack an egg on the side of a bowl or pan. Why? It is recommended to crack eggs on a flat surface to reduce the risk of any bacteria that could be on the shell in with the egg. I especially cringe after the TV chef has extolled the virtues of eggs from free-range hens. I also cringe when the TV chef separates the egg using his or her hands without having mentioned the need to wash your hands before doing so. I realize that editing takes place, but I wish they'd mention washing one's hands first. I do separate eggs by hand--works perfectly every time, but I always wash my hands before and after.

Last edited:
Okay, since you brought it up:

I cringe when cooking show hosts/chefs, smash garlic with a knife, and after so many years of watching cooking shows, NOT ONE has ever mentioned being careful how the knife is positioned.

I used a garlic press or minced my garlic before, so I decided to try the knife smashing technique and promptly cut my palm wide open!

Back
Top Bottom