"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
people that talk down to children.
but, but, ...they're short.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I think they call it "doing runs", all I know is that it gives me the runs!

All I know is that it sounds like they can't hold a note properly, I hate it. That and every year, I am forced to watch American Idol, and every year there is one doing runs and one screeching, like a screech owl, I can't listen to that!
While I was waiting for the van to pick us up after shopping today, I heard someone playing their radio. The singer sang all over the place, but didn't touch the actual melody. I don't find that entertaining at all.

I can't stand to watch American Idol. It reminds me of the Gong Show. It isn't worth listening to 9 bad singers to maybe, just maybe, hear a really good one.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
but, but, ...they're short.

i know what a good dad you are. i'll bet you don't talk down to your little boy. oh yes, funny funny
Old 07-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #24
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
A pet peeve: eyesight that can't see the little grains of salt from the shaker and I have to find glasses in order to see how much I'm adding. Or that can't read the directions on anything without a pair of glasses. Rats.
And I can't read anything with directions with my glasses on...
Old 07-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
A pet peeve: Or that can't read the directions on anything without a pair of glasses.

Hmm. Lobbed one across the plate there; I guess buckytom was looking the other way.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Can now see for miles and drive without glasses Yippeeeee but I hate having to wear glasses to dice foods, eat, read a recipe, paint my nails EAT ARGGGGH it's a game we now play on and off with the glasses
What next lord?
kades
That's why we have the tops of our heads. I used to tell my kids the reason I keep my other pair of glasses on top of my head was because I had an extra set of eyes to see everything they were doing. It worked for years.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #27
Head Chef

Ants.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:14 AM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Folks, men mostly, that acquire certain breeds of dogs in order to look cool, or as an enhancement to a certain body part because they feel inadequate. Then when something bad happens, its "Don't blame the breed, blame the deed!". Duh, if you don't have the breed, there won't be a deed.

Yup bud, you come explain to that little girl why her cat was torn to pieces defending her kittens instead of fleeing to save her own life. Why the dog was being looked after by your elderly mother that had absolutely no chance of controlling the dog, even if it was on a leash!

I'm done now.
Oh, you really hit a nerve here. And, while I've known some women who have this failing, it has been men who've told me. "Oh, that isn't a real dog, it only weighs XX pounds!" Yeah, well, as my husband says, inversely proportionate to your member. I worked for a vet and saw poor rotties with chains embedded in necks because people refuse to buy a pet appropriate to their family, so, stick it in the yard and throw some food out once in awhile.

So ... be it large or small, people who acquire pets they simply cannot handle is a real biggie for me. Putting an animal in a yard and leaving it all day, with a bowl of water it kicks over in the first hour. A dog that you can never hope to control. A dog, period, when no one in the family is going to be home for 10+ hours a day, 6-7 days a week. I've lived places where Rottweilers, Pit Bulls, Dobermans, and Rhodesian Ridgebacks were the "style" for "macho men", and they'd bring them home to wives and children who could not handle them, at all.

Men who called my dogs "yappy little dogs" then teased the dogs until they were bouncing off the walls. I finally got myself a pair (a heck of a lot bigger than these men), and told them if they wanted to play with my dogs (being polite), take it out in the yard and both of you wear your sorry butts out. Huh? The men almost never take me up on it, deciding if they can't just tease and torture, it's not fun any more.

Grrrrrr.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:16 AM   #29
Master Chef

Sorry, hit a sore point!
Old 07-07-2012, 02:49 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

I hear ya loud and clear! I had a neighbor in Tacoma that trained dogs for bear hunting. He did this knowing the dogs would be killed by the bears. "But that is the whole purpose. It's fun watching them fight."

In the back of the building is an area where a lot of folks bring their dogs on their walks. There is one big burly man, must weigh at least 250 lbs. and he walks a teacup chihuahua. When the dog gets tired he picks her up and puts her in his pocket. Now that is my idea of a real man. He cares about life. He is willing to walk this dog that always has a pink bow on top of her head.