"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-07-2012, 03:00 AM   #31
Master Chef

I remember once, when I lived in Daytona Beach (home of two of the most huge biker rallies), seeing a little, cute dog that this big, burley biker was carrying around. Had its own protected space on the back of his Harley. Now, so many upscale, mid-life crisis professional are getting into the biker culture, but this wasn't him. He was of the old biker culture. But when I stopped to talk to him about his doggie, he just melted. Took her wherever he goes. She was a peke, and had obviously just been groomed (short haircut, clear skin (hard to acquire in Florida), clear eyed, and happy. Didn't recognize her as a peke, because I'd never seen one with short hair. Mom and I sat and adored her, and her scruffy owner, who obviously adored her.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:17 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I remember once, when I lived in Daytona Beach (home of two of the most huge biker rallies), seeing a little, cute dog that this big, burley biker was carrying around. Had its own protected space on the back of his Harley. Now, so many upscale, mid-life crisis professional are getting into the biker culture, but this wasn't him. He was of the old biker culture. But when I stopped to talk to him about his doggie, he just melted. Took her wherever he goes. She was a peke, and had obviously just been groomed (short haircut, clear skin (hard to acquire in Florida), clear eyed, and happy. Didn't recognize her as a peke, because I'd never seen one with short hair. Mom and I sat and adored her, and her scruffy owner, who obviously adored her.
Old bikers make the best pet owners. My SIL go to Laconia over the July 4th weekend every year for the rally. This year he brought the family dog Cosmo. He is a Westie. He made sure that he went to the groomer and had his Harley outfit on before they took off. He rides on the back of the Harley in a milk crate with a harness on. Even has a helmet with his ears sticking out. And of course his Harley hankerchief around his neck.

A couple of years ago when SIL was so sick from chemo and radiation treatment, Cosmo never left his side. Just stayed there beside the bed. When he would feel better, Cosmo knew it and would jump up on the bed. He wouldn't even go out to the kitchen to eat. My daughter had to bring his food and water in the bedroom for him. The only time he would leave was to go outside for his daily walks. But he wouldn't walk too far away from the house. Did his thing and wanted to get right back to his spot next to the bed.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:29 AM   #33
Master Chef

Oh, I think our true friend animals (not the ones we toss in the yard to live, or buy for our kids who lose interest in 2 days) recognize when we are under weather.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:36 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Oh, I think our true friend animals (not the ones we toss in the yard to live, or buy for our kids who lose interest in 2 days) recognize when we are under weather.
When my kids were small I refused to have a dog in the house. I knew the kids wouldn't take care of it and I worked. I couldn't afford paying the vet or other expenses other than food. So no dog. They hated me for it, but I wasn't in a popularity contest.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:51 AM   #35
Master Chef

Yeah, I lived pillar-to-post as a child, and Mom was extremely strict about who and when we could adopt a pet, because we never lived more than three years anywhere. At the time I thought she was mean, but now I know how very right she was. When I think of how many acquaintances we had who, over the years, adopted pets and then discarded them because they had to move ... well I know Mom was right. Taking a pet, keeping it for as long as it amuses your kid, then discarding it? Don't take it on if it isn't a true commitment.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:58 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When my kids were small I refused to have a dog in the house. I knew the kids wouldn't take care of it and I worked. I couldn't afford paying the vet or other expenses other than food. So no dog. They hated me for it, but I wasn't in a popularity contest.
That was very sensible of you to do Addie

Your kids may have been upset with you in the short term but in the long term very wise decision
Old 07-07-2012, 04:23 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

My youngest daughter (the one that died) would bring home all stray animals. I use to swear she would some day come home with a grizzly bear under one arm and an alligator under the other. She did bring home a an old stray cat once that was really hungry. I fed it and it never left until it died. One time she came home with an old sway back mare that was headed for the dog food pile. I stuck it in the pasture and bought a large bag of oats to give her every moring. I tried to tell my daughter that she was really old nd wa going to die. She didn't want to hear that. She finally died and my daugher was heart broken.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:24 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Three of my kids now have a dog in their home. And they get good care.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Bump!

I cringe every time I see a chef on TV crack an egg on the side of a bowl or pan. Why? It is recommended to crack eggs on a flat surface to reduce the risk of any bacteria that could be on the shell in with the egg. I especially cringe after the TV chef has extolled the virtues of eggs from free-range hens. I also cringe when the TV chef separates the egg using his or her hands without having mentioned the need to wash your hands before doing so. I realize that editing takes place, but I wish they'd mention washing one's hands first. I do separate eggs by hand--works perfectly every time, but I always wash my hands before and after.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:08 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Okay, since you brought it up:

I cringe when cooking show hosts/chefs, smash garlic with a knife, and after so many years of watching cooking shows, NOT ONE has ever mentioned being careful how the knife is positioned.

I used a garlic press or minced my garlic before, so I decided to try the knife smashing technique and promptly cut my palm wide open!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote