Pet Peeves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bump!

I cringe every time I see a chef on TV crack an egg on the side of a bowl or pan. Why? It is recommended to crack eggs on a flat surface to reduce the risk of any bacteria that could be on the shell in with the egg. I especially cringe after the TV chef has extolled the virtues of eggs from free-range hens. I also cringe when the TV chef separates the egg using his or her hands without having mentioned the need to wash your hands before doing so. I realize that editing takes place, but I wish they'd mention washing one's hands first. I do separate eggs by hand--works perfectly every time, but I always wash my hands before and after.

That's one reason I go through so many rolls of paper towels in the kitchen. I have one of these hands free soap dispensers and the roll of paper right next to it. And I make sure the towel gets a second use. Give the counter a quick swipe, wipe out the sink, etc. There was a time when I was constantly washing my hands that I was beginning to believe I had a compulsive action like I did when I had a broken bone.

I used to separate the egg in my hand. Then I don't remember where, I had an egg separator given to me. (One more thing to wash!) They are fine provided the yolk isn't too big. My large eggs fit perfectly. Extra large, not so good.

I can never get a bulb of garlic started. So I just smash it with the side of my cleaver. It falls apart real nice. I take the cloves I need and the rest go into the garlic holder. Then I use my garlic press/slicer. I no longer have enough strength in my hands to smash the cloves with the side of a knife and my hand. :angel:

I used to separate the egg in my hand. Then I don't remember where, I had an egg separator given to me. (One more thing to wash!) They are fine provided the yolk isn't too big. My large eggs fit perfectly. Extra large, not so good.

=:angel:
SQUAWK! You think the yolk from my egg will fit in one of those!

NO WAY!

Love,
Myrtle

I remember once, when I lived in Daytona Beach (home of two of the most huge biker rallies), seeing a little, cute dog that this big, burley biker was carrying around. Had its own protected space on the back of his Harley. Now, so many upscale, mid-life crisis professional are getting into the biker culture, but this wasn't him. He was of the old biker culture. But when I stopped to talk to him about his doggie, he just melted. Took her wherever he goes. She was a peke, and had obviously just been groomed (short haircut, clear skin (hard to acquire in Florida), clear eyed, and happy. Didn't recognize her as a peke, because I'd never seen one with short hair. Mom and I sat and adored her, and her scruffy owner, who obviously adored her.
Where I used to live I used to see this tough looking 50-ish biker - all lived-in leathers with studs, chains, tattoos on every available bit of skin including "Love" and "Hate" on his fingers, ear-ring and other piercings and........ a Yorkshire terrier complete with red ribbon to keep its hair out of its eyes!

SQUAWK! You think the yolk from my egg will fit in one of those!

NO WAY!

Love,
Myrtle
I picked up a nifty egg separator when we stopped at a pottery in Virginia. It fits a large egg with lots of room to spare, so Myrtle's eggs would fit. The little slit that looks like a lit-up smile is where you pour the white out, so the yolk just gets to come out the top. If it fits in, it will come out!

BTW, I had to hunt a little, but just to give credit properly, I found their website. The name of the pottery is "Blue Ridge Pottery". No one was around when we shopped. They operate on the honor system. Refreshing!

Edit: ACK! forgot the image!

Attachments

• 2014-10-11 20.27.31.jpg
    2014-10-11 20.27.31.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom