Pet Peeves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
So we know what smell you can't stand. So now what are your pet peeves.

For me it is the National Anthem. Please sing it the way it was written. Don't jazz it up, don't add notes to it that aren't there, don't screech when you sing it, and if you are a celebrity and can't reach that high note, then kindly decline to sing it at a function that is being televised. Don't embarrass yourself. Just sing it like it was written.

Some songs shouldn't be fooled with or rewritten according to the singer.
America The Beautiful
The Battle Hymn of the Republic
God Bless America
The Lord's Prayer
Ave Maria (both versions)

I have heard every one of these songs massacred at one time or another because the singer wanted to do their own rendition. :mad:

So we know what smell you can't stand. So now what are your pet peeves.

For me it is the National Anthem. Please sing it the way it was written. Don't jazz it up, don't add notes to it that aren't there, don't screech when you sing it, and if you are a celebrity and can't reach that high note, then kindly decline to sing it at a function that is being televised. Don't embarrass yourself. Just sing it like it was written.

Some songs shouldn't be fooled with or rewritten according to the singer.
America The Beautiful
The Battle Hymn of the Republic
God Bless America
The Lord's Prayer
Ave Maria (both versions)

I have heard every one of these songs massacred at one time or another because the singer wanted to do their own rendition. :mad:

I agree, Addie. Adding all those extra notes - I call it yodeling.

Margaux´s Pet Peeves: Good Topic Addie

Buon Giorno,

Firstly, I hope that you had a lovely 4th ...

PET PEEVES ...

1. Corporate and / or Individual Litter Bugs; who put plastic bags and their Non biodegradeable rubbish in the Ocean and Rivers of the world

2. Corporate Individuals and People who create Oil Spills

3. Poorly mannered individuals

4. Imbeciles

5. Psychos running loose

6. Canned food overladened with preservatives, sodium, soy and chemicals

7. Control Freaks

Have a nice wkend Addie,
Ciao, Margi. :cool: ;)

i completely agree, addie, about the star spangled banner, but i do change one line in america the beautiful. i like to sing "god shares his grapes with thee". :D

And the way a little kid sang "God Bless America,"

"Stand beside her, and guide her, through the night with the light from a bulb." :angel:

A pet peeve: eyesight that can't see the little grains of salt from the shaker and I have to find glasses in order to see how much I'm adding. Or that can't read the directions on anything without a pair of glasses. Rats.

A pet peeve: eyesight that can't see the little grains of salt from the shaker and I have to find glasses in order to see how much I'm adding. Or that can't read the directions on anything without a pair of glasses. Rats.
Okay, that's annoying, but it's life.

What irks me is that optometrists won't give me glasses that make my vision as good as it used to be. Okay, I could read the Oxford Compact Dictionary (the one with four pages of tiny type to a page) without the magnifying glass that comes with.

Can now see for miles and drive without glasses Yippeeeee but I hate having to wear glasses to dice foods, eat, read a recipe, paint my nails EAT ARGGGGH it's a game we now play on and off with the glasses
What next lord?
kades

Just things to keep us on our toes, I guess, Kadesma. I wore glasses to drive all my adult life until about 6 years ago. Suddenly I could pass the DMV test without them and don't need them any more. At the same time, I never needed glasses to read, and now I do. And when I get in the car, I always think I've forgotten my glasses. :huh:

I have to disagree with the Star Spangled Banner. I think we place far too much emphasis at times on the sanctity of tradition. To begin with, it didn't even begin as a song. It was a poem written by Francis Scott Key. The music didn't come about until people began singing the poem to a mangled version of a song called "To Anacreon in Heaven" (the original version can be found here), an 18th century drinking song that originated in a London gentleman's club in the 18th century. As you can hear, the music as we now know it evolved from the original. So you might say that it was "fooled with" from the very git go.

Second, music is an art form that readily lends itself to re-interpretation. I remember hearing Whitney Houston sing her version of the Star Spangled Banner at the 1991 Super Bowl. She may have "jazzed it up", but she did it in such a way that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand at attention. It was inspiring and none of us up until that time had ever heard it performed that way before. That version of the song ended up making our national anthem a Top 10 hit that people sought out. How can anyone look at that as a bad thing?

Now I do agree that there are some performers who shouldn't touch it. Roseanne Barr comes to mind. :ohmy: But as a former performer, I can honestly say that music is all about expressing what's in your heart. And if love of your country is what's in your heart when you perform the song, who's to say your interpretation is wrong?

Last edited:
Folks, men mostly, that acquire certain breeds of dogs in order to look cool, or as an enhancement to a certain body part because they feel inadequate. Then when something bad happens, its "Don't blame the breed, blame the deed!". Duh, if you don't have the breed, there won't be a deed.

Yup bud, you come explain to that little girl why her cat was torn to pieces defending her kittens instead of fleeing to save her own life. Why the dog was being looked after by your elderly mother that had absolutely no chance of controlling the dog, even if it was on a leash!:mad:

I'm done now.

Last edited:

I have gotten in the habit of placing my (clean!) fingers over what I want to salt so I can feel how much I am salting :ermm:

One pet peeve that comes to mind is my MIL not wearing her hearing aides and always saying things that she thinks she hears... especially when it comes to my child :rolleyes:

I have to disagree with the Star Spangled Banner. I think we place far too much emphasis at times on the sanctity of tradition. To begin with, it didn't even begin as a song. It was a poem written by Francis Scott Key. The music didn't come about until people began singing the poem to a mangled version of a song called "To Anacreon in Heaven" (the original version can be found here), an 18th century drinking song that originated in a London gentleman's club in the 18th century. As you can hear, the music as we now know it evolved from the original. So you might say that it was "fooled with" from the very git go.

Second, music is an art form that readily lends itself to re-interpretation. I remember hearing Whitney Houston sing her version of the Star Spangled Banner at the 1991 Super Bowl. She may have "jazzed it up", but she did it in such a way that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand at attention. It was inspiring and none of us up until that time had ever heard it performed that way before. That version of the song ended up making our national anthem a Top 10 hit that people sought out. How can anyone look at that as a bad thing?

Now I do agree that there are some performers who shouldn't touch it. Roseanne Barr comes to mind. :ohmy: But as a former performer, I can honestly say that music is all about expressing what's in your heart. And if love of your country is what's in your heart when you perform the song, who's to say your interpretation is wrong?

what makes us great is that you can express your incorrect opinion without fear of reprisal, steve.

lol, j/k.

I agree, Addie. Adding all those extra notes - I call it yodeling.

I think they call it "doing runs", all I know is that it gives me the runs! :ROFLMAO:

All I know is that it sounds like they can't hold a note properly, I hate it. That and every year, I am forced to watch American Idol, and every year there is one doing runs and one screeching, like a screech owl, I can't listen to that!

Folks, men mostly, that acquire certain breeds of dogs in order to look cool, or as an enhancement to a certain body part because they feel inadequate. Then when something bad happens, its "Don't blame the breed, blame the deed!". Duh, if you don't have the breed, there won't be a deed.

Yup bud, you come explain to that little girl why her cat was torn to pieces defending her kittens instead of fleeing to save her own life. Why the dog was being looked after by your elderly mother that had absolutely no chance of controlling the dog, even if it was on a leash!:mad:

I'm done now.
Don't blame the breed, blame the "owner". Those people who get certain breeds of dogs to be cool often train them to aggressive or don't train them at all.

About 20 years ago the macho dog of choice was the Rottweiler. The son of the owner of a convenience store near me had one. He used to bring him into the store when he was working. He (the dog) would walk around scaring the customers. He jumped up to jump on me, but I lifted my knee into his chest. The dog seemed to think this was cool. He followed me around licking my hand. I and the dog became friends. The dog's owner was not happy. :ermm: :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom