"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 10-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #131
Master Chef
Took Rosebud for her first full exam since we acquired her today (I'd taken her for a weigh-in and TNT a few months after we got her). I think the vet and tech appreciated that I used to work for a vet and have a sib who did for decades. Bottom line is that I'm still afraid she'll snap if panicked (we used to call it fear biting), and that I didn't mind them taking her out of sight for her shots or muzzling her. It all went very well. What has always been a problem with me is that I cringe when I see my dog is afraid. That, of course, makes her more afraid.

the thing I've never encountered before is that the vet didn't want to give her all her shots at once. They wanted to do most of them today, the rabies in 10 days or so. The she won't need rabies again for three years. Well, when we were in Florida, even if you got a 3 year killed rabies vaccination, you had to get it every year (rabies was quite rampant in those days). I don't know if that is still the law. this year it won't matter, but next year I might have to request an extra rabies vaccination.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #132
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
I returned home to a cat that was just about inconsolable. She sat in the middle of the floor and "meowed" me out when I got home today.

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #133
Master Chef
Don't you just love it when you pets go from just barking or meowing to trying to talk to you? I swear, why do they do that? It used to drive my mom crazy when our first dog (not my first dog, we always had them as kids, but our first as a married couple) used to try to talk. She was mostly JR, a little Chihuahua. But she would vocalize and try to "talk" to you. Her daughter would never talk like that (she was even more JR). Then one day we left her with a friend overnight, and she met us at the door, cussing us out to beat the band. Now we have hit who-knows-what mutt, and she started to try to "talk" to us last week (she's about a year old, give or take a couple of months).

One thing I truly love is that she's decided to nap in her crate in the afternoons. This is super, given that we're taking her on her first road trip. We always insisted on Keiki and White Fang being in their crates in the morning when we started out, in the evenings when we checked in, and when we hit city traffic (for those who don't know how long I've been writing, I traveled in an RV for three years with two small dogs). But this will be Rosebud's first road trip. Loving her crate will make life so lovely.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote