"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-21-2011, 02:56 AM   #11
Executive Chef

One of my neighbors keeps chicken that do get out, I was out walking Max yesterday and as usual he runs into the wilderness nature reserve.He came back and walk very slowly for about a 100 yards up to me with his jaws half open and gently placed an unbroken chickens egg at my feet.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:01 AM   #12
Head Chef

I have chickens, and 3 dogs. They all wait for me to come out of the chicken house, because they get a nice fresh egg a couple times a week. One learned quickly how to crack them open--he just takes the egg and runs away to eat it. The other two are slow learners--I have to crack the egg for them or they just sit there looking at it. Maybe your dog was looking for some help, Bolas!

Old 08-21-2011, 10:16 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I toss the eggs into my three's bowls hard enough to crack them. Two eat the shell, one doesn't. Goofy dogs.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:10 AM   #14
Master Chef

Oh, LPBier, one thing I could have told you is that head shaking or scratching is often ear infections and if you catch them early yourself, you can do it yourself. There are products you can buy from your vet for cleaning ears. Warm slightly (in a bowl of warm water, NOT nukulated, don't want to get them too hot), drop in ears, massage, then a towel or even a paper towel over the tip of your finger. My dogs, after their first dislike of having the drops in their ears, loved the cloth/kleenex covered finger in their ears and would get into it.

Do not get me wrong, there is nothing better than proper veterinary attention. But some causes of infections can be stopped if you do this when you bathe your dog.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:50 AM   #15
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks, Claire,
We are actually no strangers to ear infections. Both our dogs have different allergies that cause chronic infections in their ears. It was just that DH only saw the once and the next time Violet shook her head was in the vet's office. I had already used the cleaner we use regularly on the little one, Joey on Violet, but I guess we were so busy worrying about her foot over the last two weeks we didn't catch the signs.

Violet does love the ear rub and doesn't even mind the drops but Joey, our "scardy dog" isn't thrilled and usually hides if he things it is time. I haven't tried just warm water but we do have a cleanser that seems to work really well. Now she is on prescription drops and since Joey's ears are showing signs as well, we are using them on both dogs.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:15 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

This is absolutely the best ear infection product I have come across. Pretty cheap, too. The retail for this stuff is around 12 bucks/bottle. This stuff beats what the vets push, around here anyway. Canada may be different.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:48 AM   #17
Master Chef

The egg stories remind me of my first dog (as an adult, that is, my husband's first dog ever). We'd been looking for a place to rent and this woman had something that just fit the bill perfectly (it was just while we were building our home). But she said, "no dogs". Well, it took us only a few minutes to ascertain that we really liked each other and she really loved small dogs and, in fact, had a couple of Chihuahua mutts. We'd be living nose to nose for awhile (the place was a small, mother-in-law type cottage just across the yard from her with shared lawn and open air laundry facilities).. Well, our doggie was mostly Jack Russell but a little ... you guessed it ... Chihuahua. After being reluctantly turned down, we went to my folks' place to pick up White Fang (hubby decided a small dog needs a big name) and went back. Turned out she'd just had a dog die, and took one look at WF and melted and rented to us.

The egg thing is this. She was from Virginia, and every year would get these huge sacks of raw peanuts. She kept the bag in the laundry breezeway between our place and hers, and the dogs would go in and shell and eat peanuts. Now, I do NOT mean masticate the entire thing and spit out the shell. I mean they could very delicately shell and eat the peanut. The place often looked like one of those bars where you can throw the peanut shell on the floor. The shells never looked wet or sloppy. Using their little claws like they were fingers, they'd open the shells and extract the nut.

Years later we tried to give her whole peanuts, and she never could do it again. Probably because ours were salted, roasted and those were raw. Or maybe, without her partners in "crime", she didn't have the heart for it.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:34 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I thought I'd be safe by putting the wok with a quart of oil in a snowbank. Oh, lord. That little doggie ate a quart of cooking oil. Trust me, the results were not pretty.

Whenever, like this morning, my husband gets upset about these things, I remind him of WF and the wok full of oil. Who'd have thunk that an 8 lb dog could drink a quart plus of oil?
OMG! It must have just gone down easily....Ha!

Then it came out......easily...

I hope the dog was outside for a couple days!
Old 08-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #19
Master Chef

Unfortunately, she was a little Hawaiian dog (mostly JR, part Chihuahua) and leaving her outside in the snow for her first winter ever, all 8 lbs of her (and maybe 6 mos old), would probably have been a death sentence. I was peeved, but not that angry. Just washed a lot of towels and sheets!

Same dog as the below story, at least peanuts constipate rather than cause diahrea!
Old 08-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #20
Master Chef

Site Moderator

This morning we found Peanut (the big dog of the family) with a large flat piece of crinkled aluminum foil. It wasn't chewed, just crinkled, but also fairly flat Strange, couldn't figure out where it came from, there was none in the trash cans. No one knows where it might have come from. Okay, so a doggie mystery... nothing new in this house.

Little later, I open the fridge and see that the package of 2 left-over pork chops wrapped in foil is not in the fridge. Hmmm....

"Hey Tracy, did you take out the pork chops to take for your dinner tonight?"

"Yeah, they are in my lunch bag right here on the chai.......PEANUT!!!!"

Mystery solved...he took the wrapped chops out of the open lunch bag, brought them down stairs, unwrapped them, and ate them. The foil was not chewed, just crinkled from being wrapped around the chops and I guess it got flat from him licking it clean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Peanut_01.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	11891