"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-29-2011, 10:12 PM   #51
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,283
Wild boy, finally conked out at work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	out for the count.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	11955  
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:20 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
Wild boy, finally conked out at work.
I'm with Shrek. (except for not taking Patron again). Keepsies. What an adorable and contented smile!
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:15 AM   #53
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGDean View Post
I've had my Cockatoo, Spike(avatar) for about 24 years. When we moved to Florida I bought a large potted Ficus tree and put it near the window for sun next to Spike's cage. For 3 plus years the bird ignored the tree. One day I was working in the back yard and came in to take a break. My over 6 foot tree was reduced to an 8" or so stub with Spike sitting on top. He seemed to think I should be pleased at his accomplishment!
One thing I learned working for a vet was that many people (to include myself before then) have no idea how long some birds live and how much companionship they need. People tend to think of them as more decorative than real personalities. I think the most I saw was when we stayed with friends for a few days. They had two parrots of some kind and a miniature schnauzer. The darned birds would feed the dog! When they got their bowl of fresh veggies and fruit, they'd toss him a bite now and then, and it wasn't an accident. They lived in a jungle-gym type arrangement during the day, but went into their cages upstairs at night. Now, I know I've been told that birds don't really talk, they just mimic. But one night we got tot talking and our hosts forgot to cover their cages. The birds yelled and called them by name to come up and cover their cages so they could sleep. We were vastly entertained by these two birds and the little dog.
__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:40 PM   #54
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,928
Claire, that's awesome!

My niece's cockateil came by his name famously. I was there when she picked him up from the pet store (a gift from us when her beloved previous bird died) and I held it while she made some lunch. She made KD and was eating it right out of the pot! The bird took off from my hand and landed right in the middle of the pot (it wasn't hot at that point) and started eating. His name? Noodles of course! And to this day, if she makes any form of Mac and Cheese, she gives him a little.
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:00 PM   #55
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Claire, that's awesome!

My niece's cockateil came by his name famously. I was there when she picked him up from the pet store (a gift from us when her beloved previous bird died) and I held it while she made some lunch. She made KD and was eating it right out of the pot! The bird took off from my hand and landed right in the middle of the pot (it wasn't hot at that point) and started eating. His name? Noodles of course! And to this day, if she makes any form of Mac and Cheese, she gives him a little.
Perfect! LOL!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:01 AM   #56
Sous Chef
 
JGDean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northwest Florida
Posts: 540
Want Some?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Claire, that's awesome!

My niece's cockateil came by his name famously. I was there when she picked him up from the pet store (a gift from us when her beloved previous bird died) and I held it while she made some lunch. She made KD and was eating it right out of the pot! The bird took off from my hand and landed right in the middle of the pot (it wasn't hot at that point) and started eating. His name? Noodles of course! And to this day, if she makes any form of Mac and Cheese, she gives him a little.
I've had several birds and all were crazy about mac and cheese. My African Gray would keep saying "Want some" over and over again until she got some. Afterward she would say "Is good!"
My cockatiel loved mashed potatoes and oatmeal. One time my Dad was visiting and I had fixed him some oats and she landed in his bowl and commenced eating. I had an awful time cleaning her up.
The African Gray also like to feed my sister's dogs but not in the way you would think. She would aim to poop on their heads. One or the other would clean it up. Yuck.
__________________
JGDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:04 AM   #57
Sous Chef
 
JGDean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northwest Florida
Posts: 540
He's a Sweetie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Wild boy, finally conked out at work.
Do you think the rest of him will catch up to the size of his ears?
__________________
JGDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:01 AM   #58
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGDean View Post
Do you think the rest of him will catch up to the size of his ears?
I almost hope not, his ears are just so cute.

We wore him out yesterday, he ended up following his mother and me whenever we left the office. He did a lot of running and he was happy as a clam!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:10 PM   #59
Head Chef
 
Saphellae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 1,611
These stories have me in stitches!!! Birds aiming their poop.. priceless!!!

I have a couple of stories... I have two cats, brothers, orange tabbies. One of them, Kass, has a "pooch" belly, otherwise he's healthy. I think it came from gorging when he was a baby, from being sick and being the runt. His belly would expand as he ate, and his legs would slowly drift apart LOL!

Kass one day was after something, I still have no idea what. There was a shredder, a couch, and a bookcase. In the middle of the three, there was a little space, and Kass was seriously interested in it. He got in there alright, but I looked around after hearing him meow, and all I saw was his bum, completely flat up in the air with his legs sticking out - he was really stuck !! LOL ! I had to go pull him out...

Another time, Kass was in trouble, and DH was looking for him. There wasn't enough room to go behind the couch, and he was cornered - he panicked, and literally dove and slid under the couch, but he's chubby, so he got stuck halfway through with all four legs spread out flat! Here was this chubby orange tabby, halfway under the couch with his legs out.
__________________
Saphellae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:28 PM   #60
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
These stories have me in stitches!!! Birds aiming their poop.. priceless!!!

I have a couple of stories... I have two cats, brothers, orange tabbies. One of them, Kass, has a "pooch" belly, otherwise he's healthy. I think it came from gorging when he was a baby, from being sick and being the runt. His belly would expand as he ate, and his legs would slowly drift apart LOL!

Kass one day was after something, I still have no idea what. There was a shredder, a couch, and a bookcase. In the middle of the three, there was a little space, and Kass was seriously interested in it. He got in there alright, but I looked around after hearing him meow, and all I saw was his bum, completely flat up in the air with his legs sticking out - he was really stuck !! LOL ! I had to go pull him out...

Another time, Kass was in trouble, and DH was looking for him. There wasn't enough room to go behind the couch, and he was cornered - he panicked, and literally dove and slid under the couch, but he's chubby, so he got stuck halfway through with all four legs spread out flat! Here was this chubby orange tabby, halfway under the couch with his legs out.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.