"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #71
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Another Ali story....

Ali actually has several names:

Pumpkin Princess - The first Thanksgiving we had her, she was then about 20 months old, she ate half of the pumpkin pie off the kitchen counter. Luckily it was early and I had time to make a new one for dinner that evening. The evidence - she when running down the stairs when she heard me coming up from the family room, the other dogs where down there with us.

Butter Queen - I won't count the number of times she has gotten the butter off the kitchen counter, whole sticks at a time. The evidence - she never licks it completely off her face. Can you say buttered whiskers

Cookie Countess - I was packing up Christmas cooking to take to work one morning. I turned around and walked 10 steps from the dining room to the kitchen to get some foil, and when I walked back, 1/2 of the cookies were off the plate and she was on the floor licking up the crumbs with frosting still on her face.

Sauce-ie: We were having dinner down in the family room, pasta and sauce, when we noticed that there was a dog missing. Then as if on queue downstairs she comes. "Anything she can get to?" " I don't think so." WRONG - she ate the entire pan of leftover pasta sauce that I left on the front burner of of the stove.

So .. now we have a "doggie gate" across the kitchen doorway that is kept closed after dinner, when we are cooking, or when anything is out. Even though she could jump over it in a heartbeat, she hasn't. She seems to know that the gate means stay out.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #72
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

ROFL!!! What a great dog...:)

Old 09-07-2011, 09:31 PM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What a smart girl!
Old 09-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #74
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
What a smart girl!
She's just trying to tell him she likes his cooking.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:47 AM   #75
Executive Chef

While watching my cat freak out over his favorite toy (the lower half of a wire clothes hanger tied to the cat fishing pole) the following popped into my head:

Psycho feline
Spazzin' 'bout the fish line.
We better tighten that screw
it's been loose for a long time.

And I thought about it for a minute wondering from where it came. I knew that the song was familiar but what was it? Then it hit me. Stuck, by Limp Bizkit, only my brain had adjusted the lyrics...

Sigh. Facepalm. Head shake. I'd inadvertantly pulled a dad.

(for those who don't know dad/GW writes his own parody lyrics for songs sometimes)
Old 09-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #76
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
While watching my cat freak out over his favorite toy (the lower half of a wire clothes hanger tied to the cat fishing pole) the following popped into my head:

Psycho feline
Spazzin' 'bout the fish line.
We better tighten that screw
it's been loose for a long time.

And I thought about it for a minute wondering from where it came. I knew that the song was familiar but what was it? Then it hit me. Stuck, by Limp Bizkit, only my brain had adjusted the lyrics...

Sigh. Facepalm. Head shake. I'd inadvertantly pulled a dad.

(for those who don't know dad/GW writes his own parody lyrics for songs sometimes)
ROFL! Ummm, yeah...the things our Dad's teach us. I tend to over explain and I have to start a story from the very beginning..."There was a big bang and the universe was created...and that's how the car got stuck in the front door of the bank."
Old 09-10-2011, 11:43 PM   #77
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My Nephew went to Roosevelt Lake for the weekend:

Patron and his mommy, second picture is the Halloween costume I got him, it glows in the dark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Patron and mommy.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	12010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Halloween 2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	12011  

Old 09-10-2011, 11:44 PM   #78
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
ROFL! Ummm, yeah...the things our Dad's teach us. I tend to over explain and I have to start a story from the very beginning..."There was a big bang and the universe was created...and that's how the car got stuck in the front door of the bank."
Oh, I never over explain things like my dad. What? What's that look for? Don't know what you're talkin' 'bout.

Although I'm certainly not guilty of needing to start from the beginning. Mine is more, "Hey, I should tell the story about a-z" and then I start at p, realize that d is kind of important to understanding p so I jump back to it and explain through h even though I probably only needed to go as far f, then jump past p to r, s, and t, then remind my audience about p and fill in q. Then the conversation will move to 1-100 and I realize I forgot to mention l, m and n which were also a good part of a-z but there is no opening to mention it. So hours later after you've left and a-z and 1-100 are long since past I'll be talking to BT. And when he pauses in telling everyone about alpha-omega because he can't remember where theta fits in I'll mistake that pause for his being done and blurt out 1, m and n because it's stuck in my head and I just have to tell it to someone before my brain bursts.

This is why I get along with cats and dogs so well. If all else fails and I can't find a person to tell l, m, and n to I can tell a cat or dog and they at least look at me like they are trying to listen. It sounds crazy I know by it gets rid of the mental itch.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:49 PM   #79
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
Oh, I never over explain things like my dad. What? What's that look for? Don't know what you're talkin' 'bout.

Although I'm certainly not guilty of needing to start from the beginning. Mine is more, "Hey, I should tell the story about a-z" and then I start at p, realize that d is kind of important to understanding p so I jump back to it and explain through h even though I probably only needed to go as far f, then jump past p to r, s, and t, then remind my audience about p and fill in q. Then the conversation will move to 1-100 and I realize I forgot to mention l, m and n which were also a good part of a-z but there is no opening to mention it. So hours later after you've left and a-z and 1-100 are long since past I'll be talking to BT. And when he pauses in telling everyone about alpha-omega because he can't remember where theta fits in I'll mistake that pause for his being done and blurt out 1, m and n because it's stuck in my head and I just have to tell it to someone before my brain bursts.

This is why I get along with cats and dogs so well. If all else fails and I can't find a person to tell l, m, and n to I can tell a cat or dog and they at least look at me like they are trying to listen. It sounds crazy I know by it gets rid of the mental itch.
That is priceless

I love it and you are definitely trying to break my ribs.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:01 AM   #80
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
My Nephew went to Roosevelt Lake for the weekend:

Patron and his mommy, second picture is the Halloween costume I got him, it glows in the dark.
Haha, can you imagine being in the dark and seeing glowing skulls and crossbones suddenly bouncing toward you accompanied by a miniature panting noise? The mischievous side of me thinks that would be a great prank.