"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
Master Chef

Pet stories, let's start again

First of all, by mutual agreement, I stopped the line about my problems with my shelter dog. In fact, we kept her and using both advice from people here and from people who answered a local column I write, we trained her. I won't say she's perfect, but she is a great pet and lovely and loving companion. I know that all pet training is really human training. If you don't work at it, it will not work. I don't think I could have kept Rosebud if I'd lived near my family when I had 6 nieces & nephews under 10 years old and 3 friends over 75, some in wheelchairs.

But, to move on to an amusing note, both my column and my emails to friends I mentioned that I'd been working on frying a pound of bacon, hoping to use it for a week's worth of bacon. BLTs to start.

Went into the kitchen, and bacon .... gone. Now I know Rosebud can jump 4' easily, so who's the idiot here. We called in a pizza and laughed (after severely reprimanding her and tossing her out the door for a few minutes!)

Then I remembered a weird one. WF, our first dog, was only 7 or so months old and I fixed and Indian dinner. There was snow, which she wasn't familiar with (we'd just moved from Hawaii to Virginia), and I thought I'd be safe by putting the wok with a quart of oil in a snowbank. Oh, lord. That little doggie ate a quart of cooking oil. Trust me, the results were not pretty.

Whenever, like this morning, my husband gets upset about these things, I remind him of WF and the wok full of oil. Who'd have thunk that an 8 lb dog could drink a quart plus of oil?

Old 08-13-2011, 10:24 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

LOL!! My little nephew, Patron, took three days to figure out how to get out of the laundry basket we bought for him in the office. Back to the drawing board, we want something collapsible so we can put it under the desk when he's not "In the Office."

We've already got him housetrained and he just loves meeting new people.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:56 PM   #3
Master Chef

I have a friend who is a "pet addict" (my word). At the time I stopped counting, she had two male dogs who are huge. I think one at 80 lbs, and the other is a mastif who, at last count was over 100. Her husband decided he wanted to have a smaller dog (he's a long haul trucker) to have with him in the truck. Well, she went looking and found him a little puppy to keep him company. The thing is that he would only take a male.Well, the humane society told her it was a male. She just believed it. I don't know. This woman has bredd dogs. I know how even vets can confuse a small kitten. She told me she was going to have to take this puppy back. Now those of you who've gotten to know me know that I think it is cruel to take animals back and forth. I'd rather see a puppy or kitten put down that treated as an experiment. Well, I'm happy to report she was just so lovely they couldn't do it. Maybe there is a veteranery word for the fact that she has a projecting pudentum (yes, her peepee loolks like a penis) So I hope it's a happily ever after/
Old 08-13-2011, 11:38 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
LOL!! My little nephew, Patron, took three days to figure out how to get out of the laundry basket we bought for him in the office. Back to the drawing board, we want something collapsible so we can put it under the desk when he's not "In the Office."

We've already got him housetrained and he just loves meeting new people.
Sherpa bag crate? They are very comfortable (according to some of my dog loving friends and their pups). Dr. Smith and Foster's catalog has them, as do local pet stores. Patron could probably fit in a purse. Pay no attention to the woman with the large empty purse at your workplace, PF.

More pics of Patron, please!
Old 08-13-2011, 11:48 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Sherpa bag crate? They are very comfortable (according to some of my dog loving friends and their pups). Dr. Smith and Foster's catalog has them, as do local pet stores. Patron could probably fit in a purse. Pay no attention to the woman with the large empty purse at your workplace, PF.

More pics of Patron, please!
Boss is having problems with her cellphone, it's a new one so all the pics we've taken are stuck on the phone. I'll take my camera in next week and see if we can get some. Shrek got to meet him.

We would like something big enough to run around in but not make the mad dash for the door, too. Too many wheelchairs past our door. There are three of us in the office.

Duh!!! Take the bed out of the basket and turn the basket upside down over the bed...
Old 08-14-2011, 12:05 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Great idea!
Old 08-21-2011, 01:13 AM   #7
Master Chef

Two things Rosebud has taken a desire for are ice cubes and my shoelaces. Mind you, never my husband's, only mine. Ice cubes, I'm glad for. This gal can chew the heck out of anything we give her. With the exception of my shoelaces, thank heaven, it has never been something really destructive or dangerous (I once came home to a puppy who'd chewed through an electric cord, luckily not plugged in)(a lesson for people who think crate training is cruel). But she was driving me crazy with chewing through my shoelaces. Ice cubes, though, are fun. They entertain her endlessly. First she'll splash when you put it in her water bowl, then play with it, then when it's soft enough, chomp away.

One problem, if you want to call it that, is that she is a very aggressive chewer. At her whopping adult weight of 20 lbs, I have to buy her rawhide, dentabones, nylabones, etc, meant for dogs over twice her size. A fluffy toy? gone in hours. Ditto the dentabones, nylabones, and rawhide with instructions for a 30 lb dog. But at least she isn't biting, chewing, or snapping at us any more.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:27 AM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I need to remember to buy some nylabones...for the puppy.

So far, Patron is only pulling shoelaces, not chewing through them.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:35 AM   #9
Master Chef

Heaven forbid I snooze off in the afternoon, I'd awake to no shoelaces. Well, at least none that I could tie! I bought a new set (after she chewed through two) and I think for some reason she doesn't like them. Or maybe she got over a fixation. Or maybe that's wishful thinking and the next time I'm not paying attention, I won't be able to tie my shoes again!
Old 08-21-2011, 02:39 AM   #10
Certified Cake Maniac

Okay, here's a good one.

I share my house with the only dog on this planet that gets ubber excited about going to the vet's. Every 6 weeks we take our little dog, Joey, to the groomers which is attached to our vets office. Violet usually comes along, gets her nails clipped and then we take her to the dog park for a good run.

Well, she hurt her paw two weeks ago and so I made it a combined visit for her recheck. She has been acting fine at home, but decides to shake her head in front of the vet and another $90 later I find out she has an infection in both years and am holding onto some medicine.

But that isn't the fun part. Violet and the manager have this very close relationship. Violet jumped up and put her front paws on the counter. A new receptionist said "oh, she must miss Joey". Before I could say a thing, the other receptionist said no, she is looking for her "Joanna". Sure enough, as I was finishing up Violet flipped me around and made a strange bark at the door. I thought it was another dog, but no, it was her favourite person in the whole world. They had a loving and I brought her home - we forgot the nails and the dog park but she seemed content!

Do you think maybe she is getting all this stuff wrong with her on purpose?

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote