"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-25-2007, 03:45 AM   #1
Master Chef

Pets

What do animals know? My little Keiki woke me up to take her out, and as soon as she came in, it started to rain. This happens often. Can they feel the atmospheric change or something?

Old 09-25-2007, 07:35 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I think my cats can feel a thunderstorm brewing. They seem to get edgy and race around the house.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:41 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Yep, one of my dogs always gets upset whenever a storm is coming.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:06 AM   #4
Master Chef

Yes, dogs and cats (most animals) can sense this type of stuff and it can also trigger certain actions in our companions and wildlife as you have seen. My dogs even sense when we are having marital issues, oddly enough, it seems to affect the whole family including the dogs!
Old 09-25-2007, 10:16 AM   #5
Head Chef

Animals are excellent at reading the world around them and being able to sense any subtle changes to the enviroment as well as people. They notice little things like change in breathing, barometric pressure. When Hurricane Charlie and Wilma came through I knew we were in for a bad time by the way my dogs, cats and horses were acting. I could tell it was going to rain, but they sensed all the other changes that my human-ness can't detect.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:36 PM   #6
Head Chef

yeah i was watching a public television show on tv about the tsunami that hit that one place. They said about an hour before it all happened all the animals started to come inland.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:54 PM   #7
Executive Chef

My dog can definitely tell when a thunderstorm or even just rain is coming. She's really scared of it so I know when she sticks to me like glue, better pull in the laundry.

My 10 yr. old cat has always seemed to know when someone is getting sick because that's the only time he tries to sleep with us or get in our laps. I learned early to watch him because he'd let me know when one of the kids was catching something.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:10 PM   #8
Executive Chef

My cat had some messed up hips after being hit by a car years ago. I had to keep him inside so he wouldn't aggrevate the injury. He would sit on my bed and watch TV. Those wildlife shows with birds and tigers was his favorite.

Anyway, everytime a commercial would come on, he would ignore the TV or go get a drink of water or something. It cracked me up.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:04 PM   #9
Master Chef

My little dog, Schnitzel, seen at left is a very accurate barometer.

When pressure is falling -- whether it rains or not -- he retreats under the covers. When it is likely to rain, he refuses to come out.

Conversely, when high pressure rules, he lounges atop his pink blanket, preferably in the sun.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:09 PM   #10
Traveling Welcome Wagon

As a lot of you have said, many animals are good at signaling changes in the weather. It goes even further than that. I have seen several reports about animals who can sense when someone is going to have a heart attack, when someone has cancer, and even when a diabetic's sugar levels get erratic. I read a story in Guideposts about a woman who said her dog was driving her nuts. He would wake her up 10 or more times a night. Then he would sleep all day. Because of some other problems the woman was having, her doctor suggested she participate in a sleep study. She asked if she could bring her dog so they could see how horrible he behaved at night, waking her up. It turned out that the woman stopped breathing 10 or more times a night. Her dog sensed it and jumped on her to wake her up. That is why he slept all day--he was worn out from saving her life all night! I cried buckets when I read that one!

Barbara