"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #131
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
I think the fact that Rosebud was so good about her crate is what (along with the help of my DC pet friends) allowed us to keep her.

For those who have followed Rosebud's progress, we put her on phenobarbitol this morning. When her seizures were 3-4 mos apart it was one thing, but when it started at 10 days our vet and we, mutually, decided to medicate. I did a lot of research and we decided to go with the old tried-and-true rather than the newer med on the market. Our little rescue doggie is becoming an expensive one, but worth every penny at this point. The hardest part, for me, is not the seizure itself, but her fear afterwards.
__________________

__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #132
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I think the fact that Rosebud was so good about her crate is what (along with the help of my DC pet friends) allowed us to keep her.

For those who have followed Rosebud's progress, we put her on phenobarbitol this morning. When her seizures were 3-4 mos apart it was one thing, but when it started at 10 days our vet and we, mutually, decided to medicate. I did a lot of research and we decided to go with the old tried-and-true rather than the newer med on the market. Our little rescue doggie is becoming an expensive one, but worth every penny at this point. The hardest part, for me, is not the seizure itself, but her fear afterwards.
Lots of hugs for Rosebud! Poor Baby!
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #133
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,932
My Joie is so sick again. He was in pain this afternoon so I gave him a pill. We thought he had passed whatever was causing his discomfort but he is back to not eating. His movements are fairly normal (small but he is eating less) but a few hours ago he came to me grunting and panting in pain and shaking. Then he threw up his undigested breakfast all over the rug.

I am dealing with horrid pain myself right now and TB is working. I phoned the vets and they said he will probably be okay until tomorrow morning if we keep giving him the medicine and keep an eye on him. Since he got sick he is not shaking or grunting, so that is good.

We are also having a financial problem regarding this because it costs so much to have x-rays, etc. We are waiting for some money to come in, but since Dad passed away last year we have had more expenses each month (he paid us a bit to stay here and have me look after him). I am feeling so guilty that I am being a horrible "Pet-Mom". I am also fighting going to the hospital myself - but at least worrying about Joie and needing to be here for him is helping me (they probably won't do much for me anyway).

Thanks for letting me vent a bit even if it is a little all over the place. I am just so worried about my little guy.
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #134
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Poor Joie. Poor LP!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #135
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
My heart goes out to you. Beloved pets ... and sometimes you find yourself deciding if you can handle your own medical needs and theirs as well. It isn't easy. I'm thinking of you.
__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #136
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,098
Oh dear. Hugs for Joie and Rosebud! And for LP and Claire!

We know your doggies are getting the best care possible, and are much beloved.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #137
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I slept on the floor with Latté just after she was spayed, poor thing, I had her shut in the bedroom so Smudge wouldn't bug her, Shrek was up on the bed and I ended up on the floor so she wouldn't try to get to me. Shrek woke up to go to work and found us both curled up in front of the closet.
I slept with many dogs on the floor...I slept on the floor at the vet clinic with one Saint after he had cruciate surgery, but then I slept on the floor with him for 7 days after he had bloat surgery. No one thought he'd live, but he did. He died 7 years later. I am now sleeping on the floor with yet another Saint. She's been with me for 9 years. Her rear end has gone, but she still has the gumption to scoot around. Before you tell me that I'm being cruel, I'm waiting for my friend who is a vet to get her butt home from Vegas. I want this gal to leave this world in my arms in the home she has known for 9 years. She was picked up as a "wild child" stray in NC, heartworm positive, and immigrated to Canada after it was determined by the rescue group that she could not be adopted because she had startle reflex and snapped if anyone tried to touch her head or collar. She still does that, but ever so gentle when her mouth connects with my hand. I'm slinging her out and in to maintain her dignity. Tonight several of her doggy friends dropped by to say good-bye. I'm not sure I'll be ready on Friday (my birthday :-() but know that Dr. J will make it as painless as possible and with as much dignity as one could hope. I hope I go in the arms of the one who loves me best. In the meantime, I better finish grooming her so she gets to Rainbow Bridge looking her best.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #138
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I slept with many dogs on the floor...I slept on the floor at the vet clinic with one Saint after he had cruciate surgery, but then I slept on the floor with him for 7 days after he had bloat surgery. No one thought he'd live, but he did. He died 7 years later. I am now sleeping on the floor with yet another Saint. She's been with me for 9 years. Her rear end has gone, but she still has the gumption to scoot around. Before you tell me that I'm being cruel, I'm waiting for my friend who is a vet to get her butt home from Vegas. I want this gal to leave this world in my arms in the home she has known for 9 years. She was picked up as a "wild child" stray in NC, heartworm positive, and immigrated to Canada after it was determined by the rescue group that she could not be adopted because she had startle reflex and snapped if anyone tried to touch her head or collar. She still does that, but ever so gentle when her mouth connects with my hand. I'm slinging her out and in to maintain her dignity. Tonight several of her doggy friends dropped by to say good-bye. I'm not sure I'll be ready on Friday (my birthday :-() but know that Dr. J will make it as painless as possible and with as much dignity as one could hope. I hope I go in the arms of the one who loves me best. In the meantime, I better finish grooming her so she gets to Rainbow Bridge looking her best.
Oh, CWS, you make me cry and be happy at the same time. Cry for the loss, but happy she is going at home with those she loves.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #139
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
My Joie is so sick again. He was in pain this afternoon so I gave him a pill. We thought he had passed whatever was causing his discomfort but he is back to not eating. His movements are fairly normal (small but he is eating less) but a few hours ago he came to me grunting and panting in pain and shaking. Then he threw up his undigested breakfast all over the rug.

I am dealing with horrid pain myself right now and TB is working. I phoned the vets and they said he will probably be okay until tomorrow morning if we keep giving him the medicine and keep an eye on him. Since he got sick he is not shaking or grunting, so that is good.

We are also having a financial problem regarding this because it costs so much to have x-rays, etc. We are waiting for some money to come in, but since Dad passed away last year we have had more expenses each month (he paid us a bit to stay here and have me look after him). I am feeling so guilty that I am being a horrible "Pet-Mom". I am also fighting going to the hospital myself - but at least worrying about Joie and needing to be here for him is helping me (they probably won't do much for me anyway).

Thanks for letting me vent a bit even if it is a little all over the place. I am just so worried about my little guy.
LP--sorry to hear that. I know how frustrating it is. I am waiting for Dr. J to come home because she will come to my home and send my gal on her way and only charge me for the cost of the drugs. I can't afford to take this gal in today (and I'm not ready). Hugs. Vets do good work, but it can get very expensive very quickly. A friend is struggling with that with her dog as well--can't afford the tests the vets recommend and is doing the best she can with what the vets do know. If only our pets could talk and tell us where it hurts!
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #140
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

Oh, CWS, you make me cry and be happy at the same time. Cry for the loss, but happy she is going at home with those she loves.
Me too. It's so hard. You gave her a good life, CWS.
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.