"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #151
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I'm still crying. I've never even met Joie or Violet but I have loved them for years. You know we love you and are praying for all of you.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #152
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Ohhhh, LP. {{{{{{{hugs LP, Joie, Violet and TB}}}}}}. This makes me cry. So sorry, I know how much you love your furbabies.
What Dawg said. (((Hugs)))

Old 02-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #153
Master Chef

Laurie, I'm so sorry to hear about Joie. I know it will be hard on the whole family! I'm sitting here reading it and getting a lump in throat. Hugs and prayers for you flying over the internet.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #154
Master Chef

LP, I know how hard it is to have to decide when to have a pet put down. When is the pain too much? The two I've had to put down, there was no question whatsoever to the vet or to us (kidney disease with our senior doggie, a stroke a few years later with her daughter). We didn't have the hard limbo you're in, and my heart goes out to you. The hardest part in our two were that when "mommy" died, her daughter took off looking for her. We regained her after ten days, but it was ten days of he*l.

Rosebud has been on her meds for 3 full days now and I'm not seeing any of the side effects I was concerned about (research: lethargy, increased thirst/appetite, agitation (why agitation? It's a tranquilizer?). As for more seizures (or reduced liver function), only time will tell. But for now she seems fine.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #155
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
We just got back from the vet about an hour ago from getting Joie's follow-up xrays. One month ago they saw a small mass in his abdomen, near his lungs and what could have been a foreign object in his stomach. He got better and so we didn't do anything except watch him and keep up with some medication. He was his old self for a couple of weeks then a few days ago the pain and vomiting started all over.

Joie's new x-rays showed that the stomach is clear, but the lungs are full of fluid and there are at least 6 more masses and a lot of inflammation.

The vet said we could do an ultrasound, biopsies, surgery, chemo, etc. but it still wouldn't guarantee he would ever be 100%. In fact it may be harder on him and not increase the length or quality of his life much if at all. Second choice is giving him medication as a palliative measure and keep him comfortable at home. Third, is to "put him out of his misery now".

Bottom line is Joie has cancer and it has spread very quickly.

He is having trouble breathing, walking, etc. but still has moments of being our fun baby boy. The medication should help him and we were just not ready to say goodbye. He is home with us and we will take it day by day. If the medications don't work we will definitely go to option 3 (don't want him to suffer for our selfishness), but if we can keep him comfortable and loved that is what we want.

I am numb right now. I am dealing with my own health issues at the moment but they are not important at the moment. TB went with me and it was getting close to the time he would have to go to work, but when we got the news he called in - we are both upset.

Even Violet is sensing it and will not leave his side. It will be very hard on her when he goes. It will be hard on all of us.
Laurie, I am so very sorry. Love and hugs for all of you.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #156
Executive Chef

Laurie, I'm so sorry and am thinking of all of you, these decisions are the hardest to make.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:11 AM   #157
Certified Cake Maniac

Thank you everyone. Your kind words help. I keep expecting to see him perk up and be the old Joie I fell in love with but I know that is not going to happen. Specially with all the medication. But I am just enjoying the time I can spend with him. He is content to be near us all the time even if it is beside us in his bed.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:39 AM   #158
Certified Cake Maniac

Joie's not having a good night. We are thinking we may be making a decision sooner than expected. I thought I would touch up the picture I posted below. I think I will use this one for the Rainbow Bridge wall at our Vet's office. They have been so good to him, Violet and us.

The friend who gave us Joie is coming by tomorrow to say goodbye. We often say that even though he was from someone we knew, he was a rescue. But she did the best she could and if it wasn't for her we wouldn't have had 7 years with him (she only had two).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JoieHaircut1b.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	17223  

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:22 AM   #159
Executive Chef

It is saddening to read both CWS and Laurie and your doggies are having sad times. This is so hard for you all. I don't look to these days when a new family member arrives. I look to this day and this day and all the days we have together are good and important days. I don't know why, since I never met either of you, I am shaking and have foggy eyes to type this and a lump in my throat too. I guess, Just {{hugs}} is all I can offer too. Fred
Old 02-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #160
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm sooooo sorry, Laurie. As one oncologist once told me, no one knows enough to be a pessimist. And, Joie doesn't know about the cancer. I wouldn't share that information. I never showed dyplastic dogs their x-rays. Count each day as a bonus day. You will know when the time is right. But today is a bonus day--enjoy your time together, make each minute count. It is never easy saying goodbye or having to make the call, making the call takes courage and strength. I've walked that road more times than I like to admit with fur babies. Hugs.