"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #171
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Rock, he is gorgeous!
Yeah. He is a nice guy. We rescued him from a very abusive situation when he was about 6 months old. It was supposed to be temporary, but when we got him home he was part of the family within minutes. I think my daughter had already made up her mind the minute we saw him....

Old 03-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #172
Certified Cake Maniac

I love the "KISS" make-up look going on there!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #173
Chef Extraordinaire

What beautiful markings. He is a stunner to look at. You want to reach in the pic and just hug him.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #174
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
What beautiful markings. He is a stunner to look at. You want to reach in the pic and just hug him.
He get's lots of hugs. And is a bit of a lap dog wannabe because of it. Unfortunately, though, he has cluster seizures every few months. They can last up to 3 hours. It is a pretty horrendous thing. We have to hang on to him so he doesn't hurt himself. He has knocked down lots of furniture, and he can get limbs caught and twisted in just about any crack or under a couch or door. We have devised a method where we put him in an old sleeping bag and I lay spooning, or straddling him to stop him from flailing around and hurting himself. He goes blind during this and once it is over and he regains his ability to function, he is so exhausted that he lays around for a day or two. It's a very sad and unfortunate thing to have to go through for all of us..
Old 03-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #175
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
He get's lots of hugs. And is a bit of a lap dog wannabe because of it. Unfortunately, though, he has cluster seizures every few months. They can last up to 3 hours. It is a pretty horrendous thing. We have to hang on to him so he doesn't hurt himself. He has knocked down lots of furniture, and he can get limbs caught and twisted in just about any crack or under a couch or door. We have devised a method where we put him in an old sleeping bag and I lay spooning, or straddling him to stop him from flailing around and hurting himself. He goes blind during this and once it is over and he regains his ability to function, he is so exhausted that he lays around for a day or two. It's a very sad and unfortunate thing to have to go through for all of us..
That's a shame. Isn't there anything the vet can do?
Old 03-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #176
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That's a shame. Isn't there anything the vet can do?
No. It is epilepsy. They will sell you meds but any research I have done tells me they don't really help.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #177
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
No. It is epilepsy. They will sell you meds but any research I have done tells me they don't really help.
My sister has had 3 goldens now with epilepsy. Her first dog would not do well on the medications, but the two she has now are both doing much better. One is on phenobarbitol and the other is on gabapentin and Valproic Acid, both of which I am on!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #178
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Aww, poor Hooty. He's beautiful. My cockers both had seizures, but not to the extent you describe, Rock. Hope you can find something that will help.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:34 PM   #179
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I was sitting at my desk today and when I turned around there was a strange doggie sitting there waiting for me. I still don't know where she came from or even what breed, she had the muzzle and ear shape of a corgi, but the hair of a short haired dachshund, just a bit rounder, think Corgi with short brown fur. I gave her a Milk-bone and off she ran.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #180
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I was sitting at my desk today and when I turned around there was a strange doggie sitting there waiting for me. I still don't know where she came from or even what breed, she had the muzzle and ear shape of a corgi, but the hair of a short haired dachshund, just a bit rounder, think Corgi with short brown fur. I gave her a Milk-bone and off she ran.
My next door neighbor who Teddy hates, always grabs a handful of Milk Bone at the bank for Teddy. He loves them. I have to find a way for him to accept her. Everytime she goes in or out of her apartment, he barks up a storm. Not good bahavior in a place for the elderly.