"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #171
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Rock, he is gorgeous!
Yeah. He is a nice guy. We rescued him from a very abusive situation when he was about 6 months old. It was supposed to be temporary, but when we got him home he was part of the family within minutes. I think my daughter had already made up her mind the minute we saw him....
__________________

__________________
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #172
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,926
I love the "KISS" make-up look going on there!
__________________

__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #173
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,017
What beautiful markings. He is a stunner to look at. You want to reach in the pic and just hug him.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #174
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
What beautiful markings. He is a stunner to look at. You want to reach in the pic and just hug him.
He get's lots of hugs. And is a bit of a lap dog wannabe because of it. Unfortunately, though, he has cluster seizures every few months. They can last up to 3 hours. It is a pretty horrendous thing. We have to hang on to him so he doesn't hurt himself. He has knocked down lots of furniture, and he can get limbs caught and twisted in just about any crack or under a couch or door. We have devised a method where we put him in an old sleeping bag and I lay spooning, or straddling him to stop him from flailing around and hurting himself. He goes blind during this and once it is over and he regains his ability to function, he is so exhausted that he lays around for a day or two. It's a very sad and unfortunate thing to have to go through for all of us..
__________________
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #175
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,873
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
He get's lots of hugs. And is a bit of a lap dog wannabe because of it. Unfortunately, though, he has cluster seizures every few months. They can last up to 3 hours. It is a pretty horrendous thing. We have to hang on to him so he doesn't hurt himself. He has knocked down lots of furniture, and he can get limbs caught and twisted in just about any crack or under a couch or door. We have devised a method where we put him in an old sleeping bag and I lay spooning, or straddling him to stop him from flailing around and hurting himself. He goes blind during this and once it is over and he regains his ability to function, he is so exhausted that he lays around for a day or two. It's a very sad and unfortunate thing to have to go through for all of us..
That's a shame. Isn't there anything the vet can do?
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #176
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That's a shame. Isn't there anything the vet can do?
No. It is epilepsy. They will sell you meds but any research I have done tells me they don't really help.
__________________
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #177
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
No. It is epilepsy. They will sell you meds but any research I have done tells me they don't really help.
My sister has had 3 goldens now with epilepsy. Her first dog would not do well on the medications, but the two she has now are both doing much better. One is on phenobarbitol and the other is on gabapentin and Valproic Acid, both of which I am on!
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #178
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,092
Aww, poor Hooty. He's beautiful. My cockers both had seizures, but not to the extent you describe, Rock. Hope you can find something that will help.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:34 PM   #179
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
I was sitting at my desk today and when I turned around there was a strange doggie sitting there waiting for me. I still don't know where she came from or even what breed, she had the muzzle and ear shape of a corgi, but the hair of a short haired dachshund, just a bit rounder, think Corgi with short brown fur. I gave her a Milk-bone and off she ran.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #180
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I was sitting at my desk today and when I turned around there was a strange doggie sitting there waiting for me. I still don't know where she came from or even what breed, she had the muzzle and ear shape of a corgi, but the hair of a short haired dachshund, just a bit rounder, think Corgi with short brown fur. I gave her a Milk-bone and off she ran.
My next door neighbor who Teddy hates, always grabs a handful of Milk Bone at the bank for Teddy. He loves them. I have to find a way for him to accept her. Everytime she goes in or out of her apartment, he barks up a storm. Not good bahavior in a place for the elderly.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.