Pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I worked for a vet, she told me that dogs can become vegetarians, like humans they are omnivores. Cats are carnivores. If you don't feed them meat, they will find it. I may very well be lying. But all of my doggies have been happy with a slice of apple, and believe me, my kitties were not. Who knows?

I started to wonder if I had Shreddy's age right. I looked it up. He isn't 16 1/2, he's 17 1/2! He was born 1995-11-20.

Any time we have had pets, I have always tried to feed them what they would eat in the wild. I have never seen a cat or dog go into a cornfield to get something to eat.

One time I gave Teddy a piece of pizza with pepperoni and mushrooms. The little bugger picked off all the mushrooms and spit them out on the rug. Then he ate the pepperoni. He took a small taste of the tomato sauce and cheese. He liked the cheese, left the sauce and crust. :angel:

:LOL: My Mom used to feed her nasty cocker beef stew, soup, etc. He would carefully lick the gravy off the peas, and deposit them in a neat pile by his dish.

Shreddy is not enjoying the new, prescription cat food. He'll it a little bit of it and then try to hide the rest behind his water bowl. :LOL:

I'm really not fond of the ingredients or the analysis. Corn, wheat, soy :ermm:

I think I better call the vet and ask about radioactive iodine instead of this dubious, low iodine cat food.

Oh dear. No such thing as a vegetarian cat, except for an occasional snack....or as Addie said, some grass.

A friend posted a website about dog and cat foods that are actually very bad for them. I think it might be on Huffington Post, I'll try to find it, but off the top of my head, it included Purina, Kibbles n Bits, Old Roy, Alpo, and Benefil. They all contain corn as the first ingredient, and have some very questionable other ingredients, many from China.

Last edited:
Oh dear. No such thing as a vegetarian cat, except for an occasional snack....or as Addie said, some grass.

A friend posted a website about dog and cat foods that are actually very bad for them. I think it might be on Huffington Post, I'll try to find it, but off the top of my head, it included Purina, Kibbles n Bits, Old Roy, Alpo, and Benefil. They all contain corn as the first ingredient, and have some very questionable other ingredients, many from China.
Oops, I didn't mean to mislead people. I just listed some of the ingredients I don't like. The ingredients start off with water, pork, pork by products, chicken, ...

I just don't think cats should have any soy and very little grain. They get a bit of grain when they eat birds and rodents. However, that grain comes with digestive enzymes for vegetable matter, which cats don't produce.

Got it, Taxy. And I would agree with you.

Good to know, PF, they were probably referring to Purina Dog Chow. Of course, I had to read the label on Beagle's Iams Lamb and Rice. Thankfully, the first ingredients were, um, lamb and rice.

Last edited:
Good to know, PF, they were probably referring to Purina Dog Chow. Of course, I had to read the label on Beagle's Iams Lamb and Rice. Thankfully, the first ingredients were, um, lamb and rice.

I'm as picky about the cat food as I am about the food I eat, actually more picky, they don't have a choice what is put in their bowls.

Smudge is starting to slow down, having more problems jumping up to her favorite perches. Guess I will have to get her a ladder of some sort.

Some friends of mine suggested Blue Buffalo cat food. They say it is meant to be a substitute for raw food. It doesn't have any grain or soy.

Some friends of mine suggested Blue Buffalo cat food. They say it is meant to be a substitute for raw food. It doesn't have any grain or soy.

I tried to switch the brats to Blue Buffalo, but Latte is stubborn and didn't like the food. Goofy cat will starve herself before eating something new.

Our vet gave us Science Diet when we got Salem. She was born in our backyard to a stray and was abandoned. We didn't know if we would keep her or not because of allergies but DH never reacted to her. When we took her to the vet they gave us a starter box and that's what we've always fed her. But I'm considering switching since it seems they have less percentage of protein than other brands. She prefers the chunks in gravy too.

On another note, I decided Ollie was not eating well and it had been 2 weeks of glucosamine in his diet for his "bum" leg. I stopped the glucosamine and within 2 days of stopping it he was back to eating like he used to. It was hard when he wouldn't eat to know whether to give him his insulin or not. He'd get his shot then not eat for hours and I'd worry. It was just too stressful. Happy to see him eager for his breakfast again and wag his tail waiting for his food.

No wonder Shreddy doesn't like his prescription cat food. The second ingredient, after water, is pork liver and my little weirdo doesn't like liver.

No wonder Shreddy doesn't like his prescription cat food. The second ingredient, after water, is pork liver and my little weirdo doesn't like liver.

Most animals in the wild that are carnivores will not eat the liver of any animal they kill. They just seem to know that it is loaded with Vitamin A. And too much of that vitamin can kill you.

Even the Iniuits will not use it. They don't even feed it to their dogs. If they should use it for their own consumption, they do so in minute amounts. So Shreddy is telling you he knows what is good for him and what isn't. :angel:

My parents had a mutt dog, Monday ('cuz that's the day he followed my Dad home from the corner), who didn't like the smell of lamb cooking. My Mom loved braised lamb shanks. The first time she cooked them after Monday moved in the dog whimpered and moaned, walking around the house like he couldn't find a comfortable spot. Mom thought he was going to be sick, so she took him outside. A few minutes later he seemed fine. It was a nice day so she put him on the runner Dad had hooked up (a heavy wire running from the garage corner to the back porch post, with a long chain leash that slid from one end to the other) and went in to finish cooking. Monday stayed outside until after the folks had eaten, then came back in. Next time Mom made shanks Monday acted up again. It was colder weather but she still put the dog outside - and he was fine. Mom got suspicious. The NEXT time she make lamb she specifically looked for Monday to act funny - and he didn't disappoint! :LOL: By this time I had gotten married so once a year we would have Mom and Dad and aunt (and usually a few other assorted family members) over for kabobs. Two kinds, skewers of beef and skewers of lamb. I sided with Monday...never did like lamb either. ;)

Violet and Joie were on a hypoallergenic dog food from the vet for years. They seemed to like it well enough. Then a couple of years ago I opened a can from the new case I just bought and it was a different colour and texture but it had the same label. Neither dog would touch it.

I took it in to the vet's and they casually said that it had been changed from turkey and potato to pheasant and sweet potato but hadn't gotten the new labels yet. I was not pleased. They had some old stock and traded me for 1/2 the case so I could ease the dogs on to the new formula. They ended up eating it and all of a sudden it got changed back. :wacko:

We have decided to take Violet to the new vet and I will be taking as soon as I can. She is right now very skittish because I am sick and she gets very sensitive to that so I have to wait until I am done with the asthma medication and breathing better.

Back
Top Bottom