"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-04-2013, 11:48 PM   #181
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
No. It is epilepsy. They will sell you meds but any research I have done tells me they don't really help.
Roc, if epilepsy is anything in animals like it is in humans, he doesn't remember the episodes. So try to take comfort in that thought.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:52 AM   #182
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Rock, Hooty is adorable

Looking very comfy on the lounge there

Old 03-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #183
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Rock, Hooty is adorable

Looking very comfy on the lounge there
Yeah. Thanks. We've had people stop us in the street and ask us if they could hug him.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #184
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Roc, if epilepsy is anything in animals like it is in humans, he doesn't remember the episodes. So try to take comfort in that thought.
Hopefully. Sometimes he bounces back sooner than others. But all the time he eventually is up with his tail wagging wanting to go outside for a walk.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #185
Chef Extraordinaire

Canine epilepsy, Addison's, and hypothyroidism are three very manageable conditions pets face. Of the three, epilepsy is the trickiest. It depends on the age of onset, IME. The earlier the onset, the more difficult it is to manage. Addison's is the most expensive of the three, but can be managed with oral meds and does not always require the very expensive once-every-25 days or so injection. Hypothyroidism is probably one of the least expensive conditions a pet can have, but often can be tricky to diagnose if the vet has the classic hypothyroid Golden Retriever as his/her model. One of the things that being involved as the vet for our rescued Saints taught Dr. J. was that hypothyroidism can affect the autoimmune system, reproductive system, behaviour, weight (we've had very thin Saints be hypothyroid). It is one of the tests she now recommends when clients come in with a dog that is presenting various symptoms. I've actually gotten into arguments with vets in other locations who were caring for our rescued Saints about the levels and what they should be. The thyroid is connected to the everything. Had a dog that had been diagnosed with Cushing's but never tested for hyopthyroidism. She was hypothyroid (good thing, that made her adoptable--the meds for Cushing's were quite pricey). I am so glad that so many of the rescued Saints and Newfs gave back to Dr. J. They taught her all kinds of things about Addison's, hypothyroidism, cardiac issues, and abnormalities (one Saint didn't have any ovaries when Dr. J. spayed her--she'd read about that at school, but had actually never seen that). She is a GREAT vet, but she admits she is a better vet thanks to all the odd cases our rescue group brought to her. She donated her time and in return, she learned things that have helped other dogs (and gets paid for those consults <g>).
Old 03-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #186
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Yeah. Thanks. We've had people stop us in the street and ask us if they could hug him.
I would certainly want to give him a huge hug, he looks so soft and cuddly
Old 03-06-2013, 12:31 AM   #187
Certified Cake Maniac

A card arrived in the mail today from the vet's office offering condolences for Joie's passing. This was in addition to the plant we received last week. I cried openly as I read the notes from staff members like "Joie was not only loved by you but all of us here", "Joie was definitely one of our favourites here. We'll really miss his sweet little face and personality", "Joie was so special, we are all so lucky to have been part of his life". And even the vet/owner - "Thinking of you - Joie was so special!".

One could say that they write these in all the cards, but both of our dogs have wiggled their way into the staff's hearts there. That is the reason that when we moved from around the corner from the office to half-way across town and still go there, even though their sister office is much closer to us now.

Now Violet's hips seem to be giving her problems again and while we are not wanting her to suffer, we are not sure we are ready to go on this roller coaster so soon again. I am going to phone tomorrow to see if we can change her medication.

Has anyone had any experience with laser treatments for dogs? They are recommending them and they cost $200 for the first 6 treatments.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:20 AM   #188
Chef Extraordinaire

Laser treatments other than surgery, no, accupuncture yes +1 for pain.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:25 AM   #189
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Laser treatments other than surgery, no, accupuncture yes +1 for pain.
Not sure what you mean laser no. Does that mean you don't know anything about it or that they don't work. I really appreciate the help. Do they have accupuncture for dogs?

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:26 AM   #190
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Not sure what you mean laser no. Does that mean you don't know anything about it or that they don't work. I really appreciate the help. Do they have accupuncture for dogs?
I have heard of acupuncture for dogs on more than one occassion.