Pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol i love it when i get home before anyone awakes and i'm greeted by a little norwegian forest cat that can't wait to climb up on my chest and purr, another chubby little tabby that attaches herself to my hip, and the callings of my birds to assert a new day has started and we're all still together as a family.

When I got my first (as an adult) dog, a sibling said to me, "Claire, why don't you just have a kid, it would be easier." Huh? Last time I heard, it's illegal to put a child in a crate when you leave the house (my dogs all had to be crate trained because we were military and would have to move them). And unlike some friends, I haven't had to deal with 40+ year old offspring who "need" me to write them a check. No, the dogs have not been replacements for children. Just loving companions for a decade or so (I think my last two lived for 15 and 16 years).

My cat, Simon, is doing his best to make me feel better. My sciatica is really hurting so I can't sit up at all or find a comfortable position to lay down for more than a few minutes. Simon rubs his face against mine so I can kiss him on top of his head. He curls up at my feet or by my head & purrs. Sometimes he stretches full length up against me. I love when he does this but I hate to disturb him when I need to change positions so I put up with the pain a few minutes longer. When I do move he just waits til I get settled and finds a new spot. I would be even more miserable if I didn't have this loving 9 yo companion with me.

Poor Latté, she hates the fan in the bedroom blowing on her, so she's taken to sleeping behind me (or in front depending which side I am laying on). Now I have to get used to accidentally touching something furry in my sleep and sleeping through it, but right now it's such a novelty it wakes me up.

Smudge's left eye has been mattery, she's keeping it closed. But when I can look at it, her eye looks bright and clear. I'll have to pick up some ointment, it might be a cut on her eyelid.

We're on day 2 of insulin. Ollie does pretty good. He hid in his crate the last time so we just waited for him to come out and did it then. He seems a bit brighter today so I think we are on the right track.

Find Ollie a vet approved treat that he likes when it is shot time, he should get his shots at the same time every day. Then he will start coming to you when it's time for the shot, if only because you give him the treat after. Getting his insulin at the same time everyday will give better control of his diabetes.

Find Ollie a vet approved treat that he likes when it is shot time, he should get his shots at the same time every day. Then he will start coming to you when it's time for the shot, if only because you give him the treat after. Getting his insulin at the same time everyday will give better control of his diabetes.
+1--make it "fun/rewarding." Why do you think kids get suckers (or they used to) after getting a shot? I have had several "thunder phobic" dogs. I would load up Kongs and roll-a-treats and let them have those during thunderstorms. It didn't cure them, but it did distract them and stop one of them from climbing the walls (almost literally) and stop hiding in the bathtub or behind the toilet. If I had had them as puppies (I have not had a puppy for over 20 years--mine have all been s/one else's rejects with issues that made them difficult/impossible to adopt out), I would have played games with the puppy during thunderstorms and given it high value treats. Oh, that's the other thing--make the treat associated with the insulin shot(s) the highest value treat possible and only give that treat when doing the shot. One of my dogs LOVED toast--another mini-marshmallows--if he could, I think he would've done backflips for mini-marshmallows. Whatever works. Another went nuts over a snoopy squeaky toy. I could get him to do all kinds of things for that squeaky toy. But, he didn't get to play with it "at whim." That squeaky was a training aid and only used as a reward during training.

Last edited:
i got the new cat tree assembled. they love it. were a little hesitant at first ,something strange in their space, but they soon got over that. they both went into the little cave like space on the old one they never touched it. go figure they are cats.

i got the new cat tree assembled. they love it. were a little hesitant at first ,something strange in their space, but they soon got over that. they both went into the little cave like space on the old one they never touched it. go figure they are cats.
+1...hmmm...bet the girls would like a "chicken" tree..........

Yes, yes, yes. We had a week of triple digits, unheard of here. Part of Rosebud's training regime (she was being particularly aggressive to my husband when we first got her) was him feeding her and walking her everyday (daily walks is part of his diabetes control regime as well, so serendipity). But even the first week, in the mid to upper 90s, Rosebud couldn't handle it. Neither of them could once we hit 100. It was rather funny, our two JRs were part chihuahua and LOVED the heat and absolutely hated cold, rain, snow. When the weather was cold and fowl, WF and Keiki would look out the door when I went to let them out, then look at me as if to say, "Why are you doing this?" Rosebud, on the other hand hates the heat, goes out, does her business, and comes right back in, but walks aren't an option.

Okay, we got a beret made for Patron...

Attachments

• french patron 2.jpg
    french patron 2.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 148
  • french patron.jpg
    french patron.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 167
Here is beast.. on his favorite chair that he decided to eat the arm off..

:LOL: Beast said it needed some Frank's Red Hot. Had a nice chew to it though.

They're adorable, Q!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom