Pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
taxy, I bet pets are priceless to all of us. But at some point you have to consider how a costly procedure for a pet impacts your own financial life. Even at $1800. I'd have to think long and hard about an expensive treatment for our 13 year (or so, she could be older) kitty. Then again, you weigh the benefits of the cat's impact on your life and what it would be like if Shreddy wasn't in it. Our own cat is terminally dumb; we're surprised she's still alive with some stuff she's done. She better not get TOO sick 'cuz on a bad day her value could be a buck-eighty-five! :ermm:

(((hugs)) to you both!
Thanks CG.

I would have thought long and hard about $1,650. But, once I realized it was about the same as a year's worth of the danged, stupid, expensive, thyroid treatment cat food, it was an easy decision.

Thanks CG.

I would have thought long and hard about $1,650. But, once I realized it was about the same as a year's worth of the danged, stupid, expensive, thyroid treatment cat food, it was an easy decision.

I have a feeling Shreddy would agree! (Can just hear him saying "praise Bastet, no more of that nasty yucky stuff!")

I have a feeling Shreddy would agree! (Can just hear him saying "praise Bastet, no more of that nasty yucky stuff!")
Yeah, if I could make him understand it. You know how it is with cats. Cats don't care about cat-tomorrow or cat-next week. They only care about cat-now. :LOL: But once he becomes cat-next month, who gets nice cat food, he will be happy.

(((Hugs Claire))) Hope you find a solution soon, or that it just stops.

Have there been any changes in her diet? Could she have gotten into some food that she is reacting to?

Is there a skin lotion for dogs? Addie's idea that it might be lack of oil sounds plausible to me.

I've examined her minutely for any signs of red-ness, rash, bites, etc. No change to diet. I did go buy some wipes that were supposed to have a repellent taste, but ditched them when she started licking the wipe (so much for repellent), and have a cortisone spray and shampoo. I just think she's OCD. Her regular vet check is in a few weeks, or I'd take her in now, but she is driving us crazy. I worked for a vet, and sis did for decades, and we do know that sometimes animals do get that way, and can cause skin problems from "over-grooming", scratching, biting. So, we'll do what we can and she'll be going to the vet soon. Face it, we know she has mental problems anyway (she's epileptic), this just may be a new phase! She'll be fine.

I've examined her minutely for any signs of red-ness, rash, bites, etc. No change to diet. I did go buy some wipes that were supposed to have a repellent taste, but ditched them when she started licking the wipe (so much for repellent), and have a cortisone spray and shampoo. I just think she's OCD. Her regular vet check is in a few weeks, or I'd take her in now, but she is driving us crazy. I worked for a vet, and sis did for decades, and we do know that sometimes animals do get that way, and can cause skin problems from "over-grooming", scratching, biting. So, we'll do what we can and she'll be going to the vet soon. Face it, we know she has mental problems anyway (she's epileptic), this just may be a new phase! She'll be fine.

:ohmy: But then there is always the DREADED NECK CONE. :angel:

Oh, Dear! Not that! Since she doesn't seem to be hurting herself, I'm really thinking squirt gun. I think it is just a bad habit. I've taken to ocasionally squirting her where she's scratching or biting with the cortisone spray and it startles her. Maybe a couple of squirt guns would do the trick. Heaven knows I've trained a few kitties that way. Just startles them out of what they are doing.

Can't find squirt guns in this town. So when needed, I have a bottle of just water in a spray bottle that I use for ironing. I use it on Teddy when he gets past three barks and won't stop on command. Doesn't like it. Sees me pick up the bottle and stops immediately. It is working. :angel:

I have the pets! Two cats are Misty and Kali and my dog Azia. Here is a photo of Azia with my bicycle. Azia is very large.

img_1298434_0_dc4baee48e60c6055a66ddc54c626e70.jpg

Your friend,
~Cat

There was never a question when my doggies' time was. One had a stroke, the other had kidney failure. White Fang (kidneys) -- well, she'd outlived, without pain, the "few months" she was given by many (18 mos) and when she was in pain, and wandering around the house, trying to hide, we knew. No question. Stroke doggie (Keiki)-- with her, the vet asked if we wanted "heroic measures". I said, (and hubby agreed) -- he** no, I wouldn't want heroic measure if it was me. In both cases we cried and petted our dogs (who were already mentally in that great, smelly, lovely landfill in the sky) until they moved on to puppy doggie heaven.

I don't know at which point I'd say enough, financially. I suspect a long time before others would. I love my doggies and kitties, I really do, but I wouldn't break the bank for them. I don't even like the thought that if something happens to me that his decades of working hard to get us in solid middle class with no debt could go away overnight. A couple of people have told me I should have Rosebud put down because of her $35/mo phenobarbital habit. In fact, when it went from $27 to $35, I heard that Wal-Mart started accepting pet Rx at their pharmacy and took the vial over to ask the price. $17. But you have to have a written Rx from your vet. The vet charged $10 to write it. That is good for 6 months, still a huge savings for something we're going to have to do for the rest of her life (she isn't even 3 years old). So, yeah, I'm willing to pay. But mortgage my house? Not gonna happen.

We too were surprised when she told us about taking out a second mortgage for a dog that was not going to live. All they did was give him an extra month. But the mortgage payments go on for a long time.

We understand how much she loves her animals. This particular dog was a rescue. All her dogs are. He was a working border collie that had gone blind. The owner had to give him up when he could no longer work. The vet had told her that it was the cancer that had caused the blindness. She and her husband and the placement center didn't know about the cancer when they adopted him. But during the short time she had him, they had a lot of laughs. Every morning when they were trying to get ready for work, the dog would try to round them up at the door. I guess being blind, he couldn't see that they weren't sheep. She had two other dogs and was expecting her first baby. So here they are. Expecting a baby, a dog that is blind and has cancer and two other dogs. And because they fell in love with the dog, they mortgaged their home and future. Fortunately, they both have good jobs. When it was time for the dog to go home, she had the vet come to her home. While she held him in her lap, the vet put her down. You kind of have to admire someone who loves animals that much. :angel:

I have the pets! Two cats are Misty and Kali and my dog Azia. Here is a photo of Azia with my bicycle. Azia is very large.

img_1298680_0_dc4baee48e60c6055a66ddc54c626e70.jpg

Your friend,
~Cat

Some of the people say that! I like to bring her to the pet shops. On one visit, a lady said, "Oh what a sweet dog! Did she come with a saddle?":LOL:

Your friend,
~Cat

What a lovely dog!

Thank you! I love her so very much. She is of the Boxer and the German Shepherd mixture.

My cats are just the domestic shorthair cats from the pound. I will post a photo of them when I can get one. They move too fast; much as the life does.

Your friend,
~Cat

My Mei Yu, a female Siamese, is 16, and not doing very well. She has a cyst on her breast, and the vet said she's too old for surgery. Antibiotics took it down for a while, but not this time.
But...she is still eating good, and gets around OK, when she's not sleeping, so we'll hang in there with her as long as she has a good quality of life.

My Mei Yu, a female Siamese, is 16, and not doing very well. She has a cyst on her breast, and the vet said she's too old for surgery. Antibiotics took it down for a while, but not this time.
But...she is still eating good, and gets around OK, when she's not sleeping, so we'll hang in there with her as long as she has a good quality of life.

Constance, I am so sorry to hear this, I am glad she has good quality of life. Keep us posted, nothing like DC Comfort when we lose our fur babies.

(((hugs))) Is it time for a second opinion?

I wonder how old a cat is when it is too old for surgery. Is it the anaesthetic? My vet wants to pull two of Shreddy's teeth under general anaesthetic. It worries me. General anaesthetics aren't real good for the elderly. I think I will be getting a second opinion on that.

Oh no. I am sad of this. I will have the thoughts of you and Mei Yu.

Your friend,
~Cat

Awwww. So hard to let a beloved furbaby go. :(

Mei Yu sounds like she's doing as well as she can, so glad she's eating! I think I would keep doing what you're doing now, Constance. I wouldn't worry about the cyst. You will know when it's time.

(((hugs))) Is it time for a second opinion?

I wonder how old a cat is when it is too old for surgery. Is it the anaesthetic? My vet wants to pull two of Shreddy's teeth under general anaesthetic. It worries me. General anaesthetics aren't real good for the elderly. I think I will be getting a second opinion on that.

I wouldn't worry too much about having the teeth removed. Having had several cats it's quite common in older cats. And the anesthetic is quite light for teeth removal. The problem is if it's not done they will stop eating, and if that's the case, they are in pain. Something that all of us as pet lovers don't want.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom