"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #241
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Years ago, when I bartended at a large restaurant with high ceilings, we kept several tennis racquets around for the sole purpose of bat-herding.
We use a fish net to catch them and throw the whole thing outside to allow it escape

Old 05-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #242
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I'm an insomniac. So there I was, at o'dark thirty (I think it was around 4 a.m.) and ... a bat starts flying around the room......But my dog was with me. I was just waiting for her to go crazy....
So, would that have been bat #*/% crazy? Who-boy, rimshot time...

Glad it all turned out fine. I'm OK with the bats flying around 20 feet above my house, gobbling up mosquitoes. But if one was in the house? Yikes!

Old 05-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #243
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Sort of like when a pet hears the sound of the can opener. No words necessary. Who knew a bag of chips or a can opener could talk?
My Mom had an overflow pantry in our basement; kept canned goods and pasta/rice stuff down there. And enough salad dressing to start a restaurant! You could bring anything up and our dog, Buttons, ignored you. But go downstairs and pick up a can of tuna? She's be waiting for you on the landing, tail a-waggin', looking for a handout. HOW she knew it was tuna we never figured out.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #244
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm now reminded of when I worked in a nursing home. We got bats every once in a while. I don't mind bats, but we had to try to chase them out of the building because some of the residents were afraid they had died and gone to hell when they saw bats.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #245
Master Chef

This is a question for all you cat owners out there. I haven't had a cat in a long (nearly 30 years) time. Do hairballs stink? We have a terrible odor in our front room and thought that our evil cat Salem (not really evil, we just call her that since we found her on Halloween) had brought a critter in the house that died in a hidden place. So far we've moved a lot of furniture and can't find a critter. Haven't seen a hairball either but thought that might be something to look for since we can't find what's causing the stink.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #246
Chef Extraordinaire

I haven't noticed hair balls having an odor and I've lived with cats for most of my life. Cat urine has a very strong odor, though. Is Salem a boy? Is he neutered? Intact boy cats spray a really nasty-smelling substance to mark their territory.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #247
Master Chef

She's a fixed female so I don't think it's a spraying problem. It's just annoying to have this awful smell when you walk in the house. Hope we can find it soon!
Old 05-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #248
Master Chef

She could have a urinary tract infection that would cause her to urinate outside the litter pan. If her clumps in the litter pan look smaller than usual she probably has a UTI.

I've had to "walk" the living room on my hands and knees sniffing just above the rug (looks funny, but gets the job done) but I can say if you use "Nature's Miracle" you won't know a problem was there. I apply a generous amount of the formula, then blot. Do that a couple times and you won't smell a thing.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #249
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Black lights can help find urine stains. They have them in a flashlight-style, fairly cheap.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:35 AM   #250
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Black lights can help find urine stains. They have them in a flashlight-style, fairly cheap.
Thanks Daw, good to know in case my super-sniffer catches a whiff of funky odor in the air again!