"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #331
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I should add she is licking constantly, and everything - herself, us, the carpet, her bed, etc. She doesn't have fleas and is not biting. She is eating well and has two water dishes inside that are changed at least once a day in the summer and a free flowing one (a pail with the hose on a slight dribble) outside.
Laurie, do you think she might just be too warm? It has been quite warm lately. I'm just thinking that all that licking might have to do with the heat or perhaps a skin condition. Our dog once contracted something that the Vet said he may have picked up from walking in/on bird droppings. It caused crusty scabby spots to form and because he was a very curly cocker spaniel we did not notice at first, but it was very irritating to him. The Vet gave us a "tonic" to give him daily. She also said I was bathing him too much :/ might be worth giving Violet a thorough exam right down to the skin if you haven't already. I might add that they weren't really sores and you could scrape them off with out harming the skin or leaving a sore spot behind it was wierd.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #332
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Did you ever try homemade food? If not, what was the problem?
It was when I was working nights and just didn't have the time. Trying to get to stores that had the ingredients I needed and were only open in the daytime took a lot of planning. I also did not have the space for freezing or canning the food.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #333
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
It was when I was working nights and just didn't have the time. Trying to get to stores that had the ingredients I needed and were only open in the daytime took a lot of planning. I also did not have the space for freezing or canning the food.
Not enough space to freeze the food is a real project killer.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #334
Master Chef

(((Hugs))) to all of you with furry family members that are feeling bad. Hope they all get healthy for you guys real quick. Mine is just going through her normal "terminally stupid" phase. ("Terminally stupid" because I want to kill her sometimes! But I don't...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
...... There is also the issue of going to the old vet or a brand new one (with good references) in our current neighbourhood....
Our kitty was having problems that her first vet worked all around looking for but never found. That first vet was highly thought of in the area but became unworkable for us. Switched to a different vet and the issue was discovered right away. Don't know if that makes your decision any easier, but for us changing vets did make a positive difference. Good luck!
Old 07-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #335
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My fuzzy ones are fat and healthy...the brats!
Old 07-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #336
Chef Extraordinaire

Shreddy is not enjoying the new, prescription cat food. He'll it a little bit of it and then try to hide the rest behind his water bowl.

I'm really not fond of the ingredients or the analysis. Corn, wheat, soy

I think I better call the vet and ask about radioactive iodine instead of this dubious, low iodine cat food.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:43 PM   #337
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I agree, cats are carnivores...no sense turning Shreddy into a diabetic with an all carb diet.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:27 AM   #338
Chef Extraordinaire

Any time we have had pets, I have always tried to feed them what they would eat in the wild. I have never seen a cat or dog go into a cornfield to get something to eat.

One time I gave Teddy a piece of pizza with pepperoni and mushrooms. The little bugger picked off all the mushrooms and spit them out on the rug. Then he ate the pepperoni. He took a small taste of the tomato sauce and cheese. He liked the cheese, left the sauce and crust.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:37 AM   #339
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Any time we have had pets, I have always tried to feed them what they would eat in the wild. I have never seen a cat or dog go into a cornfield to get something to eat.

One time I gave Teddy a piece of pizza with pepperoni and mushrooms. The little bugger picked off all the mushrooms and spit them out on the rug. Then he ate the pepperoni. He took a small taste of the tomato sauce and cheese. He liked the cheese, left the sauce and crust.
Smart dog.

Yeah, I want to change his diet to something more like what they eat in the wild, something species appropriate. Cats can't digest grain or vegis. Dogs can eat more of that kind of stuff than cats can. Sure, they get a bit of grain and veg in the digestive systems of mice and birds, but not much and it comes with the digestive enzymes that cats can't produce.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #340
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Smart dog.

Yeah, I want to change his diet to something more like what they eat in the wild, something species appropriate. Cats can't digest grain or vegis. Dogs can eat more of that kind of stuff than cats can. Sure, they get a bit of grain and veg in the digestive systems of mice and birds, but not much and it comes with the digestive enzymes that cats can't produce.
When cats and dogs needs a veggie they will eat grass. But only when they feel they need it. Not every day.