"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-09-2013, 01:17 AM   #341
Master Chef

When I worked for a vet, she told me that dogs can become vegetarians, like humans they are omnivores. Cats are carnivores. If you don't feed them meat, they will find it. I may very well be lying. But all of my doggies have been happy with a slice of apple, and believe me, my kitties were not. Who knows?

Old 07-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #342
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I started to wonder if I had Shreddy's age right. I looked it up. He isn't 16 1/2, he's 17 1/2! He was born 1995-11-20.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #343
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Any time we have had pets, I have always tried to feed them what they would eat in the wild. I have never seen a cat or dog go into a cornfield to get something to eat.

One time I gave Teddy a piece of pizza with pepperoni and mushrooms. The little bugger picked off all the mushrooms and spit them out on the rug. Then he ate the pepperoni. He took a small taste of the tomato sauce and cheese. He liked the cheese, left the sauce and crust.
My Mom used to feed her nasty cocker beef stew, soup, etc. He would carefully lick the gravy off the peas, and deposit them in a neat pile by his dish.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #344
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Shreddy is not enjoying the new, prescription cat food. He'll it a little bit of it and then try to hide the rest behind his water bowl.

I'm really not fond of the ingredients or the analysis. Corn, wheat, soy

I think I better call the vet and ask about radioactive iodine instead of this dubious, low iodine cat food.
Oh dear. No such thing as a vegetarian cat, except for an occasional snack....or as Addie said, some grass.

A friend posted a website about dog and cat foods that are actually very bad for them. I think it might be on Huffington Post, I'll try to find it, but off the top of my head, it included Purina, Kibbles n Bits, Old Roy, Alpo, and Benefil. They all contain corn as the first ingredient, and have some very questionable other ingredients, many from China.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:29 PM   #345
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I use Purina ProPlan, chicken is the first ingredient in the gooshie food and the dry.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #346
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oh dear. No such thing as a vegetarian cat, except for an occasional snack....or as Addie said, some grass.

A friend posted a website about dog and cat foods that are actually very bad for them. I think it might be on Huffington Post, I'll try to find it, but off the top of my head, it included Purina, Kibbles n Bits, Old Roy, Alpo, and Benefil. They all contain corn as the first ingredient, and have some very questionable other ingredients, many from China.
Oops, I didn't mean to mislead people. I just listed some of the ingredients I don't like. The ingredients start off with water, pork, pork by products, chicken, ...

I just don't think cats should have any soy and very little grain. They get a bit of grain when they eat birds and rodents. However, that grain comes with digestive enzymes for vegetable matter, which cats don't produce.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #347
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Got it, Taxy. And I would agree with you.

Good to know, PF, they were probably referring to Purina Dog Chow. Of course, I had to read the label on Beagle's Iams Lamb and Rice. Thankfully, the first ingredients were, um, lamb and rice.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #348
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Good to know, PF, they were probably referring to Purina Dog Chow. Of course, I had to read the label on Beagle's Iams Lamb and Rice. Thankfully, the first ingredients were, um, lamb and rice.
I'm as picky about the cat food as I am about the food I eat, actually more picky, they don't have a choice what is put in their bowls.

Smudge is starting to slow down, having more problems jumping up to her favorite perches. Guess I will have to get her a ladder of some sort.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:51 PM   #349
Chef Extraordinaire

Some friends of mine suggested Blue Buffalo cat food. They say it is meant to be a substitute for raw food. It doesn't have any grain or soy.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:53 PM   #350
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've heard of it.