Pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Latté puts her whole head in my shoes (just after I take them off) and fights them with her back legs, she also steals socks that I take off. I guess she's the only one who appreciates my hot stinky feet.

Latté puts her whole head in my shoes (just after I take them off) and fights them with her back legs, she also steals socks that I take off. I guess she's the only one who appreciates my hot stinky feet.

When Teddy needs to go out in the morning, he will find Spike's dirty socks and jump up on the bed with them and drop them in Spike's face. :angel:

I have been finding things in Violet's water dish lately - one of Monkey's cloth mice, a restaurant receipt, the paper backing for double-sided tape, a tree decoration, etc. I thought it was Violet doing this because she is jealous of Monkey's toy's (and "recycles" paper items in strange places) but I was wrong.

I woke up in my chair around 2 am and there is Monkey dumping her mouse in the water dish and then taking a drink.

I have the strangest cat in the world....and I love her to bits. :LOL:

When Teddy needs to go out in the morning, he will find Spike's dirty socks and jump up on the bed with them and drop them in Spike's face. :angel:
:LOL:
When Violet figures it is walk time, she will put her head on TB's knee and stare at him until he gets up and take her. They say dogs don't do well in staring contests. THEY have never met our Violet! :ohmy:

She loves to sleep on my nightgown or Tony's super stinky work undershirts. In fact, we can throw a whole pile of dirty clothes on her and she will stay there for a long time.

Every night Spike comes here and we watch Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy together. Teddy get his scratchies, drinks from his bowl and then falls into a nice deep sleep. As soon as the final theme music of Jeopardy comes on he jumps up and grabs his leash. Spike and I thought it was the theme song that he was responding to. Nope! Tonight there was no Jeopardy on. But at eight on the button he woke right up and grabbed his leash. This dang dog can tell time. Even when he is sleeping! :angel:

My Dad's beloved poodle knew 8 pm too. At that time, Dad would put 5 little heart or bone shaped treats along the bottom of his bed. If he was into a show that went past 8 or he was on the computer and not watching the time, she would head butt his leg until he got up and gave her the treats. And if it was four not five, she would bark until he put the last one down.

I looked after her a few times when Dad was away and it didn't matter that it was a different house. She would head-butt us at 8 precisely and run to the bed!

Here is one of my favorite quotes about animals:

“We need another and a wiser and perhaps a more mystical concept of animals. Remote from universal nature and living by complicated artifice, man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion.

We patronize them for their incompleteness, for their tragic fate for having taken form so far below ourselves. And therein do we err. For the animal shall not be measured by man.

In a world older and more complete than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with the extension of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.

They are not brethren, they are not underlings: they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth.”

― Henry Beston, The Outermost House: A Year of Life On The Great Beach of Cape Cod

(Sorry to get all soppy. Maybe it's the Christmas season.:mellow:)
Let's be soppy together:
[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]
"There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man". ~W.S. Churchill (Yes, that Churchill) quoted by, among others, one R. Reagan (yes, that Reagan)
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people". ~W.C. Fields
[/FONT]
[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]"A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence". ~Pam Brown[/FONT]
[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]..................................................
"Look back at our struggle for freedom,
Trace our present day's strength to it's source;
And you'll find that man's pathway to glory
Is strewn with the bones of the horse."
~Author Unknown
"Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride,
Friendship without envy,
Or beauty without vanity?
Here, where grace is served with muscle
And strength by gentleness confined
He serves without servility; he has fought without enmity.
There is nothing so powerful, nothing less violent.
There is nothing so quick, nothing more patient."
~Ronald Duncan, "The Horse," 1954
"A horse can lend its rider the speed and strength he or she lacks, but the rider who is wise remembers it is no more than a loan." ~Pam Brown
....................................................​
And, of course:​
"A woman needs two animals - the horse of her dreams and a jackass to pay for it". ~Author Unknown

[/FONT]

Last edited:
My Dad's beloved poodle knew 8 pm too. At that time, Dad would put 5 little heart or bone shaped treats along the bottom of his bed. If he was into a show that went past 8 or he was on the computer and not watching the time, she would head butt his leg until he got up and gave her the treats. And if it was four not five, she would bark until he put the last one down.

I looked after her a few times when Dad was away and it didn't matter that it was a different house. She would head-butt us at 8 precisely and run to the bed!
For a year I lived in the house attached to one of my family's business premises. In the morning Vashti (my dog), who slept by my bed, whined to be let out and went downstairs to be at the back door ready to greet my father when he came to work. She couldn't have been influenced by the sound of the car engine as he often walked to work. She only did it Tuesday to Saturday - the business was closed on Sunday and Monday - and when my parents went on holiday and the assistant manager was in charge of opening up she didn't stir.

One year when I went on holiday to Spain I left Vashti (my dog) at home with my parents. They didn't know what time I would get back but the arrangement was that I would phone from the airport when I'd cleared customs and Dad would collect me.

This we did and as I got into the car Dad asked what time the plane had landed. I told him and he replied that at that precise time Vashti had got up and gone to the door whining. Dad thought she wanted to go out for a comfort break but when he opened the door she just carried on whining and looking at him and when I phoned he had to bring her with him to the airport.

Last edited:
:LOL:
When Violet figures it is walk time, she will put her head on TB's knee and stare at him until he gets up and take her. They say dogs don't do well in staring contests. THEY have never met our Violet! :ohmy:

She loves to sleep on my nightgown or Tony's super stinky work undershirts. In fact, we can throw a whole pile of dirty clothes on her and she will stay there for a long time.
A friend had a cat who used to steal her dirty knickers from the laundry basket and take them to his basket in the hall. She always had to do a quick check before she answered a knock at the door.

Are your pets getting Christmas presents?

I'm afraid Horse isn't.

His present this year is a bill for around £200 (approx. $300) that hasn’t appeared yet, for antibiotics for a severe case of mudrash (legs swollen like elephants legs and that was after the first round of antibios!) He’ll be lucky if he gets fed, never mind pressies, if he carries on like this!

As a result he's living in, which he is enjoying much more than being turned out in the mud soup which is the field. Let’s face it, what’s to complain about - comfy warm stable, regular feeds, ad lib hay, cosy rugs, morning and afternoon naps, attentive servants (his other mummy is back from her cruise so two of us now), carrots and polos from his fans - a life of Riley!

Yes, I know I’m cruel not to let him be a natural horse and freeze all day in the field :LOL: (He does get an hour a day in the “sick” field and he goes on the walker while we’re mucking out and making feeds so his exercise programme is not entirely neglected.)

Last edited:
The cats get tuna and toys for Shrek to step on. I try not to buy spiky toys...:angel: If they are lucky, I'll bring stuff home for them in a box...or paper bag.

Shreddy gets tuna and catnip. He is no longer interested in bags or boxes.

Last night when we came home, Stirling saw Shreddy sitting on the top shelf of the cat tree. He promptly stepped off it onto the stairs. I wonder what's up with that. Does he think he isn't supposed to use it? Does he not want us to know that he uses/likes it?

Let's be soppy together:
[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]
"There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man". ~W.S. Churchill (Yes, that Churchill) quoted by, among others, one R. Reagan (yes, that Reagan)
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people". ~W.C. Fields
[/FONT]
[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]"A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence". ~Pam Brown[/FONT]
[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]..................................................
"Look back at our struggle for freedom,
Trace our present day's strength to it's source;
And you'll find that man's pathway to glory
Is strewn with the bones of the horse."
~Author Unknown
"Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride,
Friendship without envy,
Or beauty without vanity?
Here, where grace is served with muscle
And strength by gentleness confined
He serves without servility; he has fought without enmity.
There is nothing so powerful, nothing less violent.
There is nothing so quick, nothing more patient."
~Ronald Duncan, "The Horse," 1954
"A horse can lend its rider the speed and strength he or she lacks, but the rider who is wise remembers it is no more than a loan." ~Pam Brown
....................................................​
And, of course:​
"A woman needs two animals - the horse of her dreams and a jackass to pay for it". ~Author Unknown

[/FONT]

And to all that may I add,

There is nothing more beautiful than a wild horse running atop a mesa with tail and mane flying in the wind.
(Addie) :angel:

MadCook and Addie,

We'll have to trade stories about horses------ I'm sure we have many of them. I never get tired of talking about the horses I had and I bet you don't either.:) Probably many others too.

I'll start with just a quick bio---- of course as a young girl I always wanted a horse but, of course, never got one. So at age 50 I decided that if I didn't at least learn something about riding I'd never be able to do it.

So I signed up for English riding lessons and had the time of my life. Of course, 50 is too old to START riding, at least for most people, so I only became a moderately accomplished rider.

But the best thing to happen from those lessons, the woman giving me lessons had a horse there also being trained by a very wealthy woman who was grooming a horse for dressage.

Sad story---- the horse, Justin, was kicking up his heels one day and landed wrong and broke a pastern! Vets and everyone pretty much told her the kind thing would be to put him down. She refused, loaded him into a horse trailer and drove him to US Davis Vet School (it was New Years) and pretty much held a gun to the vets there so they would accept him. (not literally, of course!)

I forget how many months he was there after the operation. Many months? Over a year. He broke the record for a horse being at that school and come out with his mind intact (and his pastern healed). Plus when he left the entire vet. faculty came out for a going away party for him.

Now his pastern was healed but he had a small bobble at the trot that would keep him from any competition. So when the woman who owned Justin heard that I lived on a small ranch and LOVED horses she offered to give him to me, after I was vetted of course! (His bobble at a trot wasn't evident at the canter----- it was like riding melted butter! No kidding.)

So that was the beginning. But not the end. Now I'd like to hear other stories.

I used to work with 4-H kids at the Western Washington Fair at Puyallup, Washington. One of my girls had a horse that had colic. She was walking that horse up and down that barn for hours on end. I went out to the barn to see how she was doing. I offered to relieve her so she could get some rest. I took over. About an hour into my shift, someone entered the barn and it was around 2 a.m. All of a sudden the horse stiffened up and started to rear. She was trying to charge toward the intruder. I let go of her reins. The intruder ran like he was on fire. It turned out that the police were all over the grounds looking for this man. He was wanted for murder in another town. I may not have been the horse's owner, but she knew something was wrong. I always trust an animal's instinct. And that spurt of energy she showed was just enough to relieve the colic. I let my 4-Her sleep right through it all. It wasn't until the next day when they wanted pictures, that they showed her as the owner. I wanted no part of the publicity. :angel:

I was spending my usual summer on my Uncle's dairy farm. He came home drunk out of his socks one night, he had gone to a farm auction and won the bid on a flock of goats and a poor broken down horse. The horse would not let anyone near her, except me...I was a city kid what did I know about horses.

With the advice of my Uncle I got her back to good health that summer. The next we started in with western saddle and bridle. The summer after that I was goofing with her and we started looping the barrels set up for my cousins and their barrel racing horses. Pretty soon we were better than them. Between us we won three competitions over three more summers.

My Uncle called me with the sad news about a month before I was headed to the farm. Beauty had gotten loose and was hit by the milk tanker. That was my last summer on the farm.

Grown up I worked on a dude ranch, rode as often as I could, but have not done so since.

A friend posted this link on FaceBook:

This guy thought he’d never see his dog again. Then he followed this tip and found his best friend.

It sounds reasonable and worth knowing.

I think that makes a lot of sense. It's one of the reasons that, when a dog has to be overnight at the vet after an operation or left at a boarding kennel, it's suggested to bring an item of your worn clothing for the dog to cuddle up to. And it's favorite toy.

Cat's, who are seemingly unwilling to appear to like their owners, would benefit by this also. :)

Back
Top Bottom