"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #351
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Some friends of mine suggested Blue Buffalo cat food. They say it is meant to be a substitute for raw food. It doesn't have any grain or soy.
I tried to switch the brats to Blue Buffalo, but Latte is stubborn and didn't like the food. Goofy cat will starve herself before eating something new.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:34 AM   #352
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Shreddy will only eat the prescription stuff if I mix in some of his regular Purina ProPlan catfood.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #353
Master Chef

Our vet gave us Science Diet when we got Salem. She was born in our backyard to a stray and was abandoned. We didn't know if we would keep her or not because of allergies but DH never reacted to her. When we took her to the vet they gave us a starter box and that's what we've always fed her. But I'm considering switching since it seems they have less percentage of protein than other brands. She prefers the chunks in gravy too.

On another note, I decided Ollie was not eating well and it had been 2 weeks of glucosamine in his diet for his "bum" leg. I stopped the glucosamine and within 2 days of stopping it he was back to eating like he used to. It was hard when he wouldn't eat to know whether to give him his insulin or not. He'd get his shot then not eat for hours and I'd worry. It was just too stressful. Happy to see him eager for his breakfast again and wag his tail waiting for his food.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #354
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
No wonder Shreddy doesn't like his prescription cat food. The second ingredient, after water, is pork liver and my little weirdo doesn't like liver.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #355
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
No wonder Shreddy doesn't like his prescription cat food. The second ingredient, after water, is pork liver and my little weirdo doesn't like liver.
Most animals in the wild that are carnivores will not eat the liver of any animal they kill. They just seem to know that it is loaded with Vitamin A. And too much of that vitamin can kill you.

Even the Iniuits will not use it. They don't even feed it to their dogs. If they should use it for their own consumption, they do so in minute amounts. So Shreddy is telling you he knows what is good for him and what isn't.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #356
Master Chef

Quote:
My parents had a mutt dog, Monday ('cuz that's the day he followed my Dad home from the corner), who didn't like the smell of lamb cooking. My Mom loved braised lamb shanks. The first time she cooked them after Monday moved in the dog whimpered and moaned, walking around the house like he couldn't find a comfortable spot. Mom thought he was going to be sick, so she took him outside. A few minutes later he seemed fine. It was a nice day so she put him on the runner Dad had hooked up (a heavy wire running from the garage corner to the back porch post, with a long chain leash that slid from one end to the other) and went in to finish cooking. Monday stayed outside until after the folks had eaten, then came back in. Next time Mom made shanks Monday acted up again. It was colder weather but she still put the dog outside - and he was fine. Mom got suspicious. The NEXT time she make lamb she specifically looked for Monday to act funny - and he didn't disappoint! By this time I had gotten married so once a year we would have Mom and Dad and aunt (and usually a few other assorted family members) over for kabobs. Two kinds, skewers of beef and skewers of lamb. I sided with Monday...never did like lamb either.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #357
Certified Cake Maniac

Violet and Joie were on a hypoallergenic dog food from the vet for years. They seemed to like it well enough. Then a couple of years ago I opened a can from the new case I just bought and it was a different colour and texture but it had the same label. Neither dog would touch it.

I took it in to the vet's and they casually said that it had been changed from turkey and potato to pheasant and sweet potato but hadn't gotten the new labels yet. I was not pleased. They had some old stock and traded me for 1/2 the case so I could ease the dogs on to the new formula. They ended up eating it and all of a sudden it got changed back.

We have decided to take Violet to the new vet and I will be taking as soon as I can. She is right now very skittish because I am sick and she gets very sensitive to that so I have to wait until I am done with the asthma medication and breathing better.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:41 AM   #358
Master Chef

Saw this on the news tonight and thought it was cute enough to share. Sure chuckled my way through it! Enjoy!
Old 07-18-2013, 06:26 AM   #359
Chef Extraordinaire

I feed my guys homemade food (have for years).

BTW, Za-Za boo died on May 1.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #360
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Saw this on the news tonight and thought it was cute enough to share. Sure chuckled my way through it! Enjoy!
ROFL!