"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #361
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I feed my guys homemade food (have for years).

BTW, Za-Za boo died on May 1.
I am so sorry CWS, I know how much you loved Za-Za, hugs!!!

Old 07-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #362
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
...BTW, Za-Za boo died on May 1.
Aw, so sorry to hear that CWS. Losing a pet can be hard. Harder sometimes than losing a human friend.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #363
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I am so sorry CWS, I know how much you loved Za-Za, hugs!!!
(((hugs))) from me too.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #364
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
(((hugs))) from me too.
Me too!
Old 07-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #365
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks, everyone. She's the first pet I haven't cremated. She's buried under her favorite shade tree at the farm--she loved the farm and it seemed fitting that the farm would be hers forever. The DH made a marble headstone to mark her resting place. She would have hated the heat we've been having and the thunderstorms....hopefully, those no longer bother her. I miss her so--she was such a character. I still have to take a walk through the fields where we used to walk and send her fur into the wind.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:25 AM   #366
Chef Extraordinaire

Big hugs to you CWS
Old 08-20-2013, 01:35 AM   #367
Master Chef

OK, here's a new one. You all know about my trials and triumphs with Rosebud. I mean, who knew my husband would fall in love with a stray from a photo in the paper? One that turned out to be epileptic? One that a few other issues (and yes, many of you assisted me in getting her past them). But her latest thing has been excessive scratching and biting at herself. Now most of my dogs and cats have been from the pre-Frontline era in both Hawaii and Florida. It wasn't unusual for me to wash and dip 2-3 dogs and cats on a liesurely (haha) Friday afternoon (yeah, I charged my parents lunch and a couple of drinks). Anyway, since the last time I bathed her, Rosebud has been biting and scratching at herself. I don't let her do it for long, neither does hubby, because of our experiences with dogs and cats in warmer climes, in other words, hot-spots. I was afraid maybe I hadn't rinsed her well enough, but it was the same shampoo I've always used on her, so much to her dismay I tossed her in the tub, after rinsing her towel yet again (seriously, I wouldn't be this careful for me, hubby or any of my family and friends) to make sure there was no residue. Believe it or not, yes, I do know that dogs and cats can get OCD. But right now she's getting a bit gun shy, thinking we're going to yell at her. both of us have held her and inspected her and not found any rash, bug bites, etc; and other than her new-found obsession with scratching and grooming (if she was a cat, I'd simply make sure she had hairball meds). Anyone have any ideas? No skin condition we can see, she's a short hair of some mutt origion, heaven knows. All of a sudden she does seem to like me taking her outside and bushing her, and it gas been a weird year, weather-wise (that is to say cooler than usual for this time of year, so perhaps her winter coat is coming in early?), and for what it is worth, yes she get very regular veterinary care and if she keeps up this excessive scratching and biting (herself that is, if she was a cat I'd call it excessive grooming), she'll go anyway. Anyone got ideas?
Old 08-20-2013, 01:51 AM   #368
Chef Extraordinaire

My daughter has a Highland Westie. They were bathing him every week. A friend who raises Westies as show dogs, told my SIL that you are washing all the oils off his skin. Stop washing him so much. Cosmo was biting and scratching constantly. So now he gets a bath only when he goes for a cut. And all the scratching and biting stopped. As you know Westies are all white and it is hard to stand by and see a dirty coat on him.

When they took him to the vet for his rabies shot, the vet asked about his scratching. When he looked at Cosmo's skin, it seemed a little red still. SIL told him about was he was told. "Fine" said the vet. But you should be washing him once a month. And he may just be allergic to the shampoo that is being used. Tell the groomer to use a more gentle shampoo. Then he recommended a couple that he should try. Problem solved.

Washing him too often and a shampoo too strong for his skin.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #369
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
(((Hugs Claire))) Hope you find a solution soon, or that it just stops.

Have there been any changes in her diet? Could she have gotten into some food that she is reacting to?

Is there a skin lotion for dogs? Addie's idea that it might be lack of oil sounds plausible to me.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #370
Chef Extraordinaire

Teddy got a bath yesterday. This dog just loves to roll in the grass and dirt. Spike brushes him out. (He needs a haircut desperately) and gave him his Advantage/Frontline (don't ask me) treatment after his bath. Last night I noticed that he was scratching a little. When he was younger, he used to scratch all the time. Drove everyone crazy. He was young and his skin was more tender. Spike changed shampoos and kept his fur really short. Now that it is summer, he gets only one cut. The long fur protects his skin from getting sunburn. On the advice of the vet. Yes, dogs can get sunburn. His scratching last night lasted for only a few seconds. So we knew right away, it was just an itch. Not a major problem like when he was younger. Spike changed shampoos a couple of years back. It is much milder and does not leave his skin excessively dry.

Teddy is all Spike has since his wife died. (Other than family.) So he takes care of Teddy as if he was a newborn baby. He is very much aware of all of his actions and scratching. He knows that excessive scratching is a symptom of something more serious. Even though he gets his monthly treatment for heartworm and fleas, the both of us are constantly checking his skin. Ticks? Fleas? Anything that can give this dog grief. It all comes back to his skin.