Pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, it's been 6 months of insulin for Ollie. At his last checkup his sugars were well regulated. He has the beginnings of cataracts and some muscle loss in his left back leg from an old knee injury. The vet was pleased with him though. He's taking his insulin just fine. He waits to get his shot before he starts to eat. He's gained back his weight and is now a healthy 92 lbs right where he should be. His coat is glossy and fine too.
Salem (rescued kitty born in our backyard and abandoned by mama) is a year old now and has figured out the doggie door. She loves to play outside and has found new "toys" (dead mouse, dead bird, live bird) to bring home.

Here's a pic from Halloween.

Attachments

• Pets at Halloween.jpg
    Pets at Halloween.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 122
Found my green fleece hat...under Latté...she swiped it off the coat rack and hauled it to the arm of the couch.

Well, it's been 6 months of insulin for Ollie. At his last checkup his sugars were well regulated. He has the beginnings of cataracts and some muscle loss in his left back leg from an old knee injury. The vet was pleased with him though. He's taking his insulin just fine. He waits to get his shot before he starts to eat. He's gained back his weight and is now a healthy 92 lbs right where he should be. His coat is glossy and fine too.
Salem (rescued kitty born in our backyard and abandoned by mama) is a year old now and has figured out the doggie door. She loves to play outside and has found new "toys" (dead mouse, dead bird, live bird) to bring home.

Here's a pic from Halloween.
+1 You done good!

Every time I read the thread on Pets it makes a wee bit sad. I wish I could have a dog of my own. But like I said before, I don't believe in having a pet if you can't afford to give it the best of care. Vets, proper food, daily walks in all kinds of weather, etc. And I just can't. I don't have enough income to include his care. And I certainly can't take a dog out for walks twice a day.

Every night Spike shows up here with Teddy at seven o'clock. We have a routine. He jumps up on me and then my bed. He wants his neck and back scratch. And for some strange reason of his own, he likes to lick my arm. I let him. As long as it is not my face. Then he jumps down, goes to his bowl and has a long drink of water. He made my bath mat his own so it now sits in the living room near where Spike sits. And he then plops down for a long nap. When Spike stays for more than an hour, he wakes up and comes for his next scratching session. Sometimes he crawls under my blanket and goes to sleep there. I love the time I spend with him. (And Spike too.) And I can't help spoiling him. He can have anything in my home that he wants.

But he is not my dog. Each time he is here, he has to go home at some point with Spike. Teddy has proven to be a life saver for Spike since his wife died. He gives Spike a reason for living. And I certainly wouldn't want to take that away.

I know all the reasons for having a pet for older citizens. They live longer, give them a purpose in life, are healthier, etc. And they are less likely to have depression. So I will have to always settle for just visits with him. I know that every night I will get to spend time with him again tomorrow. :angel:

I know all the reasons for having a pet for older citizens. They live longer, give them a purpose in life, are healthier, etc. And they are less likely to have depression. So I will have to always settle for just visits with him. I know that every night I will get to spend time with him again tomorrow. :angel:
When I was active in dog rescue, our organization took on several dogs whose owners died or went into long-term care. The families were not willing to take the dogs. I have told my dad that his dog is not an issue--she can come live out the rest of her life with me but he better not get another dog at his age (81). If you have pets, you can make accommodations for them in your will and I strongly recommend doing that. What we saw when someone died was a friend/family member would take the pet for ~6 months and then it was too much for them. Rescue organizations are run by volunteers. It is never convenient for an animal to come into rescue. It is not a gift to the organization.

A friend recently had to find a home for two sr. cats (12 and 13 years old). Her friend died and didn't make arrangements for the cats and the family didn't want to deal with them.

I love animals. I admire those who can continue doing rescue. I did that for 12 years. I can't do that anymore. It was too hard on my heart and my pocketbook. I have three Saint Bernards for which I am still responsible because they were my rescue puppies. They are in their adoptive homes, but should they need to come back, my door (and heart) are always open.

CW, what made you pick St. Bernard dogs to rescue? It would have been easier on the pocketbook if you had chosen Yorkies or some other small dog. St. B's are beautiful, but very costly to keep. :angel:

I've never not had cats, they've been in my life since I was born. Even if I had to visit Mom's to get a cat fix.

The local moving truck was loading the last of our furniture. Our cat was in her box giving birth to her litter. Oh Dear. So the driver picked up the box, made the helper ride in the back with the furniture and put the mother and the box on the seat next to him. She gave birth to two kittens in the truck. When she arrived at our new home, she was the first one to enter. The driver placed her and her kittens in a closet with one of his pads. The cat had six kittens. One didn't make it. My husband gave each of them a nice tip for being so kind to our cat and her babies. When the babies were old enough to leave Mom, each mover came back to take a kitten. They chose the first two kittens born in the truck. Later I saw the truck around town. There was a picture of one of the kittens on the side of the truck with the lettering, "We treat your belongings like we would a newborn kitten." The driver had his kitten as his mascot in the truck. Went to every moving job with him. Was quite happy to sit in the cab while its owner went to work.

I saw the driver about a year later. Told me that his kitten story got him a host of new jobs and helped to build up his business. He even got a write-up in our local paper. I think I secretly fell in love with that man. :angel:

Patron and coworker...not much work got done today!

Attachments

• patron 1-30-13.jpg
    patron 1-30-13.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 146
He had just decided sitting on my desk wasn't enough, I wasn't paying enough attention to him.

Back
Top Bottom