"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #391
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I think she should hook him up to an egg cart to deliver Farm FRESH Eggs...
ROFL! I think I could probably teach him how to drive the Volvo--he's big enough!

Old 08-26-2013, 11:26 PM   #392
Chef Extraordinaire

I draped his 4x4 tonight with sheets. He's been quietly sleeping while I've been processing zucchini, etc. Draping the crate is a trick we used to do, that and tieing baby crib bumpers around the bottom so the dog would have s/place soft to rest its head--oh, and a "crate buddy" (a/k/a a stuffy with the eyes broken off so the dog couldn't eat/digest those. I have to wake him up and feed him at midnight).

Old 08-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #393
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I draped his 4x4 tonight with sheets. He's been quietly sleeping while I've been processing zucchini, etc. Draping the crate is a trick we used to do, that and tieing baby crib bumpers around the bottom so the dog would have s/place soft to rest its head--oh, and a "crate buddy" (a/k/a a stuffy with the eyes broken off so the dog couldn't eat/digest those. I have to wake him up and feed him at midnight).
Aw...he just needed less stimulation. Poor giant baby.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:55 PM   #394
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

Aw...he just needed less stimulation. Poor giant baby.
Yes. They do that with parrots. Would love to have him meet Patron!
Old 08-26-2013, 11:56 PM   #395
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Yes. They do that with parrrots. Would love to have him meet Patron!
One snort and Patron would disappear...or maybe his ears would get stuck...
Old 09-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #396
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I made an appointment to take Shreddy to the vet who does iodine treatment for hyperthyroid cats. The whole treatment, consultation, and follow up blood work costs $1,652.19 (including sales taxes) which is $25 more than a year's worth of the special cat food that he hates. I had to calculate that, because even though I love Shreddy a lot, he is almost 18 yo. And how much does a person want to spend on a cat that old?

This appointment is just for consultation. The vet will have a look at Shreddy and palpate the tumour. According to the vet tech with whom I spoke on the phone, the success rate for iodine treatment of hyperthyroidism in cats is about 99%. They have treated over 300 cats and all were cured. One came back with a new tumour three years later.

He won't need a general anaesthetic, phew.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #397
Chef Extraordinaire

TL, I have a friend that got a blind Border Collie from a rescue place. Shortly after, he developed cancer. He was not expected to live and he didn't.

You ask how much are you willing to spend on a pet? They mortgaged their home to pay for his treatment. And they had him less than a year.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #398
Chef Extraordinaire

DH jokes that we run an old pets' home We have a 13-year-old black Lab with arthritis and an 18-year-old hypothyroid tabby cat. We love them dearly but we feel that they have had long happy lives with us and we don't want to put them through undue suffering with procedures, cramming pills down their throats, etc.

We have told our vet that we will do what we need to to make them comfortable but not go to great measures - read expenses - to treat their illnesses. I feel the same way about my own medical care. I don't want to suffer for an extended period or for DH to bankrupt himself to try to thwart the natural progression of life and death.

Best wishes to Shreddy, tl. Take care.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #399
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
DH jokes that we run an old pets' home We have a 13-year-old black Lab with arthritis and an 18-year-old hypothyroid tabby cat. We love them dearly but we feel that they have had long happy lives with us and we don't want to put them through undue suffering with procedures, cramming pills down their throats, etc.

We have told our vet that we will do what we need to to make them comfortable but not go to great measures - read expenses - to treat their illnesses. I feel the same way about my own medical care. I don't want to suffer for an extended period or for DH to bankrupt himself to try to thwart the natural progression of life and death.

Best wishes to Shreddy, tl. Take care.
Thanks GG. I feel pretty much the same as you.

Shreddy really hates the special cat food and he was losing too much weight and hungry all the time. I'm sure he won't like the car ride to the vet - he hates the 10 minute ride to the local vet and this one is a half hour away. I'm sure he'll hate staying at the vet clinic for 4 days to two weeks. But, then he should be cured and he can go back to eating normal amounts of food he likes.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #400
Master Chef

taxy, I bet pets are priceless to all of us. But at some point you have to consider how a costly procedure for a pet impacts your own financial life. Even at $1800. I'd have to think long and hard about an expensive treatment for our 13 year (or so, she could be older) kitty. Then again, you weigh the benefits of the cat's impact on your life and what it would be like if Shreddy wasn't in it. Our own cat is terminally dumb; we're surprised she's still alive with some stuff she's done. She better not get TOO sick 'cuz on a bad day her value could be a buck-eighty-five!

(((hugs)) to you both!