"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #411
Chef Extraordinaire

We too were surprised when she told us about taking out a second mortgage for a dog that was not going to live. All they did was give him an extra month. But the mortgage payments go on for a long time.

We understand how much she loves her animals. This particular dog was a rescue. All her dogs are. He was a working border collie that had gone blind. The owner had to give him up when he could no longer work. The vet had told her that it was the cancer that had caused the blindness. She and her husband and the placement center didn't know about the cancer when they adopted him. But during the short time she had him, they had a lot of laughs. Every morning when they were trying to get ready for work, the dog would try to round them up at the door. I guess being blind, he couldn't see that they weren't sheep. She had two other dogs and was expecting her first baby. So here they are. Expecting a baby, a dog that is blind and has cancer and two other dogs. And because they fell in love with the dog, they mortgaged their home and future. Fortunately, they both have good jobs. When it was time for the dog to go home, she had the vet come to her home. While she held him in her lap, the vet put her down. You kind of have to admire someone who loves animals that much.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #412
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
I have the pets! Two cats are Misty and Kali and my dog Azia. Here is a photo of Azia with my bicycle. Azia is very large.

Your friend,
~Cat
Some of the people say that! I like to bring her to the pet shops. On one visit, a lady said, "Oh what a sweet dog! Did she come with a saddle?"

Your friend,
~Cat

Old 09-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #413
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
I have the pets! Two cats are Misty and Kali and my dog Azia. Here is a photo of Azia with my bicycle. Azia is very large.

Your friend,
~Cat
What a lovely dog!
Old 09-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #414
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
What a lovely dog!
Thank you! I love her so very much. She is of the Boxer and the German Shepherd mixture.

My cats are just the domestic shorthair cats from the pound. I will post a photo of them when I can get one. They move too fast; much as the life does.

Your friend,
~Cat
Old 09-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #415
Master Chef

My Mei Yu, a female Siamese, is 16, and not doing very well. She has a cyst on her breast, and the vet said she's too old for surgery. Antibiotics took it down for a while, but not this time.
But...she is still eating good, and gets around OK, when she's not sleeping, so we'll hang in there with her as long as she has a good quality of life.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #416
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
My Mei Yu, a female Siamese, is 16, and not doing very well. She has a cyst on her breast, and the vet said she's too old for surgery. Antibiotics took it down for a while, but not this time.
But...she is still eating good, and gets around OK, when she's not sleeping, so we'll hang in there with her as long as she has a good quality of life.
Constance, I am so sorry to hear this, I am glad she has good quality of life. Keep us posted, nothing like DC Comfort when we lose our fur babies.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #417
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
(((hugs))) Is it time for a second opinion?

I wonder how old a cat is when it is too old for surgery. Is it the anaesthetic? My vet wants to pull two of Shreddy's teeth under general anaesthetic. It worries me. General anaesthetics aren't real good for the elderly. I think I will be getting a second opinion on that.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #418
Proud American

Oh no. I am sad of this. I will have the thoughts of you and Mei Yu.

Your friend,
~Cat
Old 09-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #419
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Awwww. So hard to let a beloved furbaby go.

Mei Yu sounds like she's doing as well as she can, so glad she's eating! I think I would keep doing what you're doing now, Constance. I wouldn't worry about the cyst. You will know when it's time.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #420
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
(((hugs))) Is it time for a second opinion?

I wonder how old a cat is when it is too old for surgery. Is it the anaesthetic? My vet wants to pull two of Shreddy's teeth under general anaesthetic. It worries me. General anaesthetics aren't real good for the elderly. I think I will be getting a second opinion on that.
I wouldn't worry too much about having the teeth removed. Having had several cats it's quite common in older cats. And the anesthetic is quite light for teeth removal. The problem is if it's not done they will stop eating, and if that's the case, they are in pain. Something that all of us as pet lovers don't want.