"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #421
Sous Chef

If I could share something. We lost our two dogs a few years ago due to cancer.
My baby was Rocket of Anaheim (Rocky)

And Mrs Dawgs baby was Westminster's Penelope (Penny)

When Rocky was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 10, I wouldn't accept it. We paid for every test available, much against the advise of our Vet. He lasted another two years when we finally put him down.

I realized after, speaking with a friend that is a Vet Tech, that I probably pronged his pain and suffering. I never asked myself "Is it in his best interest to extend his life, or am extending his life for myself? (I still get a bit choked up when I see a Shepherd)

Two years later, unfortunately, Penny was diagnosed with the same fate as Rocky.

She was put down the same day.

Sometimes you have to do the humane thing....even if heart tells you different.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #422
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Dawg View Post

When Rocky was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 10, I wouldn't accept it. We paid for every test available, much against the advise of our Vet. He lasted another two years when we finally put him down.

I realized after, speaking with a friend that is a Vet Tech, that I probably pronged his pain and suffering. I never asked myself "Is it in his best interest to extend his life, or am extending his life for myself? (I still get a bit choked up when I see a Shepherd)

Two years later, unfortunately, Penny was diagnosed with the same fate as Rocky.

What beautiful dogs, Rocket. It's so hard, we want to do what's best for our furbabies. A neighbor's Chessy had a leg amputated due to cancer, and he drove 6 hours round-trip to get her chemo treatments twice a week. Sadly, she died anyway.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #423
Proud American

Quote:

I am sorry. They are the beautiful dogs. These are the decisions which are most difficult.

You are the part of my prayers and the thoughts. I am sorry.

Your friend,
~Cat
Old 09-08-2013, 02:32 AM   #424
Master Chef

Quote:
My baby was Rocket of Anaheim (Rocky)..............And Mrs Dawgs baby was Westminster's Penelope (Penny)......
Beautiful animals R_J. Thank you so much for sharing your pets and your story. It's tough to realize that it's harder on us to lose our furbaby than it is for our pet to go. As long as we know we loved them and cared for them for as long as we were blessed with their company we can rest knowing we were the best friends our pets could have had.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #425
Chef Extraordinaire

The visiting Great Dane leaves on FRIDAY (I am counting the days). He gets neutered on Wednesday. I will be SOOOO glad to see him on his way. He is not only a "humper," barker, countersurfer, and jumper, he also is a digger. He will definitely be a project for his adopter, but his positive attributes are that he has a gentle mouth when he takes treats, plays nice with other dogs, rides well in the car, and learns quickly (treat motivated). And, he walks well on leash as long as he doesn't encounter another dog, cat, or chicken.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #426
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
The visiting Great Dane leaves on FRIDAY (I am counting the days). He gets neutered on Wednesday. I will be SOOOO glad to see him on his way. He is not only a "humper," barker, countersurfer, and jumper, he also is a digger. He will definitely be a project for his adopter, but his positive attributes are that he has a gentle mouth when he takes treats, plays nice with other dogs, rides well in the car, and learns quickly (treat motivated). And, he walks well on leash as long as he doesn't encounter another dog, cat, or chicken.
I was thinking about him last night. Hopefully, the humping end when he is neutered.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #427
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I was thinking about him last night. Hopefully, the humping end when he is neutered.
I'll keep my fingers crossed, but don't count on it. Shreddy was neutered at about age 3 months. He still tried to rape Sucha, his female roommate.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #428
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'll keep my fingers crossed, but don't count on it. Shreddy was neutered at about age 3 months. He still tried to rape Sucha, his female roommate.
Teddy is not neutered. He goes after every dog he sees. The only problem is he tries to hump on the other dog's side. He has no idea of what he is supposed to do.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #429
Chef Extraordinaire

Why isn't he neutered, Addie?
Old 09-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #430
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Why isn't he neutered, Addie?
Oh dear, yes, why? Get that baby boy fixed!